Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 39

Author Topic: A Strange Idea about Gender Roles  (Read 55041 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: A Strange Idea about Gender Roles
« Reply #435 on: July 31, 2014, 07:17:24 pm »

I would agree with number one,

But for number two I'd say that the limit has been reached, but I'm still not convinced women have it better...they have it at least as good as men, though.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 31, 2014, 07:47:49 pm »

2) In my opinion, life in the US is already better on the whole for women than it is for men.
I missed the actual list of this way back earlier. Addressing now.

First of all though, most of the points seem to rely not on UNJUST inequality with merely NUMERICAL inequality. I think you have to consider the question potentially both ways. Because somebody can fight for mere face value equality, sure. Or one can fight for equal justice. You can discuss either, though personally I think justice is the deeper and more meaningful version by far.

1) Custody - The main reason women win custody is because by far women are the primary caregivers of children, which is the main considered criteria. If and when a father is the one that actually spends more time with the child, they can and do win. You can't just look at the percentages and claim it to be an unequal bias. It's unjust inequality only if you take men and women with all things equal in every way (from caretaking hour ratios to their partners down to earning potential ratios) and still find a bias toward women. Is this the case? Maybe, maybe not, we don't have any data in the thread on that, and I don't know where to find it.

2) College - Depends how many people are applying, and how good their grades are, etc. If more women get in because disproportionately more women apply, then that's unequal but not necessarily unjustly so. Or if equal numbers apply, but men have worse applications, same deal. Or a blend. Not enough data in the thread to say.

3) This is unequal, but if they're earning more because they're better employees and actually earn more promotions and things, then that's not necessarily unjustly unequal. This is why the rhetoric is always about "equal pay for equal jobs" not "equal pay for giant demographic groups whose work circumstances might not remotely resemble one another" ... HAS pay for equal, parallel jobs begun favoring women? Maybe, but I don't see it in any of the links in the thread.

4) Living longer - This depends. Hypothetically, imagine this situation: There are 4 people in the world, 2 men 2 women. And I dunno, a robotic doctor. The men die at ages 45 and 55 from multiple gunshot wounds and sudden catastrophic heart attack. The women die at ages 65 and 70 from long, protracted cancer and from Alzheimers.

In this hypothetical example, the women are dying from characteristically more elderly diseases, which also happen to be vastly more expensive to treat, whereas the men died earlier, but it wouldn't have made sense to spend more money on them, because there's not much medicine could have done.

Does this have anything to do with the reality in America? No idea, but I'm pointing out that dying earlier and having less money spent on your healthcare do not, in and of those numbers themselves, guarantee unjust inequality. You need more information.

5) Homelessness and suicide are not even relevant to the discussion on either level - unjust or numerical inequality, unless you have associated data that less is being spent on their mental health, etc. Which might be the case, but I don't see it in the thread.
(I mean, more dying is numerically unequal in a sense, but only biologically so potentially. Not nec. from any sort of third party human decisions)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 07:51:03 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 31, 2014, 08:00:10 pm »

Homelessness and suicide are not even relevant to the discussion on either level - unjust or numerical inequality, unless you have associated data that less is being spent on their mental health, etc. Which might be the case, but I don't see it in the thread

Really? Why not?

but only biologically

Ahhh ok because "double standard"

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 31, 2014, 08:08:42 pm »

?

Since all of the included examples that have to do with biology in that post are about women having an advantage, I'm not sure where you could possibly be noticing a double standard, even if I had one.

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 31, 2014, 08:11:21 pm »

?

Since all of the included examples that have to do with biology in that post are about women having an advantage, I'm not sure where you could possibly be noticing a double standard, even if I had one.

Because now that it is biology favoring women it is perfectly acceptable to trot that out. When its biology favoring men you might as well be singing a song about hating women.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 31, 2014, 08:16:38 pm »

When its biology favoring men you might as well be singing a song about hating women.
I didn't say anything about such situations or respond to any or cite any such examples... How do you have any idea what song I would sing?
Are you even responding to me? Rather confused.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 31, 2014, 09:12:46 pm »

@LordBucket

Don't women live longer due to their biology? Something to do with the hormones, IIRC.
Yes they do, because mainly they have 2 XX chromosomes with redundancy, instead of XY, scroll back a couple pages and there is discussion.
Although also men have more violent deaths, though, as lordbucket posted.

Do (whatever women die of + more violent deaths + more congenital defects) on average cost the medical system less then (whatever women die of)? Quite possibly - the congenital and violence might just be more likely to kill you dead versus dragging out and racking up medical bills. Just hypothetically. If so, then it does not seem unjust to be spending more on women. It just seems like common sense if they're the ones getting more expensive diseases.

It might not be "Oooh there's a woman! let's treat her better!" but rather "huh, a lot of women seem to be coming in with expensive problems. But whatever, we'll treat what we get."

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 31, 2014, 09:20:56 pm »

I once asked a teacher (when younger) why women live longer than men, and she said "It's because they cry more. Keeps the salt out of their system"

So, even at the time I knew that didn't sound right, so I settled on a different version of it "Men are more stressed than women over money, work etc."

I now know it's not the main factor. Still, I'm sure it comes into it even in some small way.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 31, 2014, 09:23:39 pm »

"Men are more stressed than women over money, work etc."
Why would this be the case?
Yeah sure, stress kills, but I'm not seeing your reasoning for assuming they are more stressed about money or work.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 31, 2014, 09:30:38 pm »

There are more housewives than househusbands.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 31, 2014, 09:45:21 pm »

Looking after a house doesn't mean you're immune to not having any money.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 31, 2014, 09:48:26 pm »

I feel like a housewife whose working husband was having financial troubles would still be pretty stressed.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 31, 2014, 09:52:42 pm »

Looking after a house doesn't mean you're immune to not having any money.

Indeed, nor do I see why it implies less stress. Nowadays, I can't say I know any women who stay home just to do their nails. They tend to either have a job also, or the reason they're staying home is young children, which if you're claiming to be not stressful... lol.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 31, 2014, 10:02:45 pm »

:P

Working at home is as stressful as working in an office with a harsh schedule, a stack of tasks that MUST be done, a boss breathing down your neck, having next to no flexibility?

I understand children are stressful, but they have school, after school activities, friends, etc. and eventually they grow up.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 31, 2014, 10:13:19 pm »

they have school, after school activities, friends, etc. and eventually they grow up.
Yes, and by the time any of the things you just said become true (~5 years old), all of the mother friends I have were back at work again. (or had another kid younger than that) They stay home for toddlers and babies, not when they don't need to be home anymore. I.e. crazy balls of stress and human waste. Way the hell more so than any normal office.

* "Harsh schedules" do not include being woken up routinely at 3am and then 5am, and then...
* "tasks that MUST be done" implies that by comparison, it's totally cool to just completely ignore hungry, screaming, poopy babies?
* Breathing down your neck sounds a lot more relaxing than literally screaming in your damn ear for 12 hours straight.

How much time have you personally spent with babies and toddlers, I'm curious?

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 39