Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 39

Author Topic: A Strange Idea about Gender Roles  (Read 55012 times)

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
Re: A Strange Idea about Gender Roles
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2014, 03:52:33 am »

As a note of interest, scientific studies have shown that the male face and the ability to punch people in the face both evolved simultaneously. So there might be some reasons for 'men punch things'.

Wouldn't that say it evolved with women too? I mean to my knowledge the strongest punch (Per square Inch) is currently held by a woman.
Both genders are able to punch people, but the male face is the one best at being punched. Apologies if I wasn't clear. :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2014, 03:54:16 am »

That is kind of interesting. So humans evolved with the capacity that they would have to fight others of their kind.

Since we are ABOUT the only creatures who punch. At least the only that we deal with.

Though what part of it makes it better able to withstand a punch? More fat stored? different muscle structure? bone structure? Lack of nerve endings? more cranial cushioning?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 04:14:15 am by Neonivek »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2014, 04:50:05 am »

It is just that... what Lord Bucket said takes these, and amplifies them well beyond even that. Which is as I said turning villainy into super villainy.

I cannot think of any examples of a society that honestly believed that a woman's job is to accept terrific abuse for no reason other then it is her job to be abused... Nor many societies, other then possibly a tribal society, where a woman is expected to accept and reciprocate all advances.

I think a miscommunication has occured somewhere. I was not at all suggesting that. In fact, if youread the very next line after the statement of mine you quoted earlier:

But if you hear that and interpret it to mean "this is what LordBucket believes is the
proper role for women" then you're totally missing the point.

I think you are confusing "feminine" with "Pimp Whores"

...no, I think you're confusing "feminine" with "is a woman." They're not the same thing.

Think of it this way: If I am to whittle wood, I require wood with which to whittle. Would you rather whittle wood that easily accepts the shape you intend, or wood that resists you and tries to whittle you back?

It's silly to call the wood a "pimp whore" for accepting what it's given.

If you're an employer who has an employee, you would prefer to be able to tell them what to do and have them accept it and act upon it without arguing. If you're a sculptor working with clay, you would prefer to be able to work the clay and have it easily take the shape you intend. These are all masculine/feminine relationships, and they don't change if the sculptor is biologically female or the employee is biologically male.

When a guy says he wishes his girlfriend would "be more feminine" what does he really mean? Does he means he wants to beat her? No, of course not. Does he mean he wants her to respond to every sexual advance made on her by any random guy? No, of course not. He means that he wants her her to be more receptive to him, more passive, more accepting...more willing to accept what he wants. When a woman says she wishes her boyfriend would "be more manly" does she mean she wants to be beaten?  No, of course not. Does she mean she wants to sleep around? No, of course not. She means she wants him to take charge. To not pander to her. To decide where they're going to eat dinner without trying to appease her, to stop caring so much what other people want and to do his own thing so that she can be the woman.

If you look at this basic thing, and separate it from the cultural haze surrounding gender issues...at its core, the thing that is "masculine" is to act and to do, and the thing that is "feminine" is to be acted upon and to be.

Applying judgement calls to this...talking about "villainy" and " is like trying to suggest that gravity is "unethical" because it can squish you if you jump off a cliff. Gravity pulls masses towards each other. If that has unfortunate consequences, that doesn't doesn't change what gravity is, and unfortunate implications don't change what masculine and feminine are. Human beings are not pure examples of these forces, and I think that even people who disagree with me on this topic will generally agree that men aren't 100% masculine, women aren't 100% feminine...and that's ok.

I thought I'd made it clear that I was distinguishing between "masculine and feminine" and "biologically male and female in my previous post. For example:

Look at people argue over what a man or woman is "supposed to" be or do. That makes sense if you reduce people to nothing but masculine/feminine, but people are more complicated than that.

If we want to talk about biological male and biological female, we can do that. But if we're going to talk about masculine/feminine, let's not be confused and assume that masculine=biologically male and feminine-biologically female. They're different things.

let's remember to distinguish between "male and female" and "masculine and feminine." Biological male/female does not necessarily mean "exclusively masculine/exclusively feminine."

I think if you divorce the concept of masculine/feminine from biology, and think of them as impersonal forces the give/receive, actor/acted upon, dichotomy makes sense.

I think you fell into the very pattern of thought I pointed out:

It's simply popular for people view these things in terms of biology because biology is familiar.

In any case, I will repeat my previous assertions that masculine/feminine duality is not the greatest way of describing relationships, and people tend to get distracted by the habitual argument of "what is proper for man/woman in our society." If we speak of impersonal forces, it's much easier to describe relationships without that baggage. If I say that it's "masculine" to know what you want from life and to set out to make it happen without letting people dissuade you...I think that's not in especially inflammatory idea, and probably a good portion of people would more or less agree with it.

But if, immediately after agreeing with me, I then say that both the person who builds and gives away dog wheelchairs and ignores people who advise him against it, because that's what he wants to do, and the person who clubs baby seals and ignores people who advise against it because that's what he wants to do...if I say they're both acting masculinely...suddenly people aren't so eager to agree. "What do you mean it's masculine to beat baby seals? Are you some kind of sicko?!?!?"

But then if I say that both the guy building dog wheelchairs and the guy beating seals are "acting upon" the world around them...who would disagree?

Let go of the baggage.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2014, 05:06:42 am »

western Feminine roles

See, that's the thing. I think western culture is confused about what masculine/feminine are in the first place. I think a large portion of westerners think of these things are arbitrary lists of behaviors that evolve with time. They think that wearing pink or blue was feminine and masculine 100 years ago, and now it's reversed...and that's all that "masculine and feminine" are. Social convention.

If that's the way one sees it...I guess I can't argue with it, but clearly the person who means that, means something very different when they use those words than I do. And all I can really say is that an eastern yinyang worldview makes more sense to me personally than a "what do these words mean this particular generation" sort of view. No wonder people are so angry and confused about "gender roles" if their social concepts of masculine and feminine change every couple years.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2014, 05:11:07 am »

The masculine is that which acts upon. The feminine is that which is acted upon. Masculine does. Feminine is.

I've seen people argue that about classical femininity but I honestly don't buy into it either.

Masculinity isn't all about being the "actor" and Femininity about being the one "acted upon".

This. Take a look at German, it's a prime example of classical thinking. The Sun is a female noun in German. And the sun is definitely an actor, not "acted upon". Whereas a garden is Der Garten (masculine), and a garden is definitely something "acted upon" by people and the (feminine) sun. So this idea that the classical roots of gender in society stem from the object/subject dichotomy really doesn't stand up when you look at examples.

Rivers in German also have gender, and it totally depends on what river you're talking about. The Rhine is masculine, the Danube is feminine. Is the Rhine an Actor and the Danube "acted upon"? I don't think so.

In English, our nouns don't have gender so we can talk about gender in the abstract. But English is the anomaly, not German: almost all world languages have gendered nouns. The gender thing is definitely wider than the English-speaking world so this is all relevant - any theory has to take into account gendered nouns in the world's languages.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 05:19:43 am by Reelya »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2014, 05:30:36 am »

ITT feminism jumps the shark.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2014, 05:31:08 am »

I hesitate to use language as the basis for an argument on this topic. There are too many of both examples and counter examples for and to any argument anyone would could possibly choose to make.

For example:

The Sun is a female noun in German.

And it's a male noun in Spanish and most other romance languages.

Or what about this:

http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/sungodsgoddesses/a/070809sungods.htm

13 male sun gods, 5 sun goddesses. 6 if you include my avatar. Why conclude the sun "is feminine" based solely on German grammatical gender?

the sun is definitely an actor, not "acted upon".

Depends on how you look at it. I could just as easily suggest that the sun is feminine because it provides energy for others to use in their own manner. The sun does not decide how plants use the energy it provides. The plants do. The sun does not choose whether we use solar energy to power our homes or to build lasers.

Sort of like a woman brestfeeding her children, yes? She provides the energy which we use.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2014, 05:33:19 am »

Sun is neuter in Croatian and AFAIK most other Slavic languages.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2014, 05:41:35 am »

Sun is neuter in Croatian and AFAIK most other Slavic languages.

As I said: "too many of both examples and counter examples for and to any argument anyone would could possibly choose to make." I suggest that "the sun" is a complex entity that isn't easily pigeonholed into "is exclusively associated this primal force."

...just like people.

That doesn't change the validity of primal forces. The earth can have both gravitational and magnetic properties. Men and women can have both masculine and feminine qualities. It's silly to claim that "the earth is gravitational!" or "the earth is magnetic!" as if they were mutually exclusive. They're not. It's just as silly to claim that "men are/have to be masculine!" "Woman are/have to be feminine!" They don't. But the fact that entities are not in possession of exclusively only one type of property doesn't mean that those properties don't exist.

I don't understand why this is such an issue.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2014, 05:52:44 am »

We could just stop using masculine/feminine to describe things that are neither. It really has no place beyond describing body shape, voice, fashion style and similar obvious outward features.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2014, 06:01:11 am »

We could just stop using masculine/feminine to describe things that are neither. It really has no place beyond
describing body shape, voice, fashion style and similar obvious outward features.

I acknowledge that my worldview is not consensus, but I don't think what you're saying here is either. Let's go back to the example I gave earlier. If a guy says he wishes his girlfriend were more feminine, or a girl says she wishes her boyfriend were more masculine...are either of them talking about body shape, fashion, or any of the other things you list?

I don't think they are.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2014, 06:10:02 am »

Gender roles have nothing to do with "acting upon" or whatever, but instead developed because males are generally better suited to physical activity. I have no idea why people disregard this, or say it is false.

Oh go fuck off back to r/MensRights and bitch about the evil wimminz over there, and please don't bring your MRA bullshit over here.

This is a whole load of straw man and ad hominem (and plain offensive language disguised as righteousness) aimed at shutting down anyone you disagree with. It has nothing to do with "mens rights" or "bitching about the evil wimminz". Exactly where did he cite even one Men's Rights point? This form of argumentation is just one step from Godwin's Law: "you know who else believes that gender roles have a biological component ? MRAs!" is very close to "You know who else believed X? Hitler!".

Saying that men have generally much more powerful physique, and that gender differences in physique played an important role in shaping gender roles during the development of human society is plain common sense, backed by the evidence of our own eyes.

A lot of the reason why certain social traits become the norm is because they promoted group survival. This is Darwinian. Nietzsche says the same about morality. There is no true right or wrong, there's what worked and what didn't. The societies that survived did what worked, and that's why certain "universals" came to exist. On the gender issue, imagine an historical society which decided that a womans' role was to fight in the frontlines of all battles. Population drives warfare, and the limiting factor for population growth and recovery is the number of women. Also fighting melee battles is clearly more suited to men than women for biological reasons of strength and endurance. So there are numerous non-sexist reasons you'd prefer that only men fought in the frontlines of war, and societies with different ideas just wouldn't have survived.

Men just don't have to even try to be stronger than the average woman. I'm a devote couch potato / keyboard jockey, my family are all indoorsy-types, my last girlfriend was a sports fanatic coming from a "sporty" family, and she's even a couple of inches taller than me. Guess who asked whom to open jars etc? If strength differences in gender were only due to environment I should be asking her to open jars. I'm only able to be the jar-opener because of biology.

We have separate male/female events in the Olympics for the same reason, not because of anti-woman bias. Hell, if you want an anti-woman bias we could merge all the Olympics into non-gendered events and blame women's lack of motivation or something for never winning.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 06:42:26 am by Reelya »

JoeJoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2014, 06:40:06 am »

I'd just like to post a single quote:
Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful.
--George E.P. Box

Otherwise, just posting for popcorn.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2014, 06:45:27 am »

but genderless species would be too boring

what about making people be able to switch between genders at-will?
._.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2014, 06:48:27 am »

That would also solve the problem of trans-sexuality... I think.
._.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 39