Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 39

Author Topic: A Strange Idea about Gender Roles  (Read 55096 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: A Strange Idea about Gender Roles
« Reply #210 on: July 27, 2014, 07:27:38 pm »

But, as I said, we today do.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 27, 2014, 07:30:44 pm »

We also build cities, which are much like ants nests in many respects. That doesn't mean we should theorize that humans evolved in nests.

The most likely reason for a taboo against women sleeping around has to do with patriarchal obsession with knowing parentage. A matriarchal society wouldn't really care: you know who your mother is. But fatherhood is much more tenuous. Once things like private property, inheritance, social class came in, knowledge of paternal parentage would have become much more important.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 07:33:24 pm by Reelya »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 27, 2014, 07:33:43 pm »

Yes, it is possible humans made nests to survive.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 27, 2014, 07:45:25 pm »

...okay, what's your point, dwarf? Why should we care about what we did in the past? It doesn't matter anymore. We're past that stage.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 27, 2014, 07:49:42 pm »

I didn't say it mattered.

I said I wondered if, then said what I wondered. Really, I wasn't expecting so much to-do over it :P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 27, 2014, 07:53:07 pm »

I wonder if women sleeping around is worse than men doing it because, on an evolutionary level, women were once effectively brood mares supposed to mate with one male superior. Any break from mating with the strong, dominant male for the weaker, out cast male would produce lower grades of children.
I am sure you really meant 'I wonder if women sleeping around is viewed as worse than men doing it', but the way you phrased it made it sound like you agreed, or that it was true...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 27, 2014, 07:59:59 pm »

Oh, no, not at all. Sorry if that's how it came across.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 28, 2014, 12:35:16 am »

"Women are strong". Women are thus equal to men, who are also strong. The 'in control' part would fall away as part of this.
This is a nice example of how it DOESN'T automatically take care of itself, contrary to the intention of this example.

Two people can be equally strong and yet one still completely in control of the group... do you see how you jumped across two concepts? Strength =/= leadership, control, or power.

Additionally, this assumes that everybody out there is solving logical syllogisms before they speak or think things, which is simply not true. People are dumb and believe contradictory things all the time without thinking twice about them. I have no problem believing that a large chunk of the population could be taught that women are strong, nod yes and sign their name to that, and then a day later, still go around anyway giving strength-requiring tasks to men, and then if you question them, saying "Well I gave it to him because men are strong."

Just poking in here.
The bolded part is a lie. Or at least shows one idea that without prior knowledge, it may be accepted--on what, however, is where the danger starts.
If you've no problem believing that, then there may be something with what you observe that has caused that to be retained as 'fact' to you, or that you may be falling into that pit of generalizing a population on one subjective attribute wherein the same problem lies with gender roles.
Because it ignores human intelligence and ts foundation lies on people not actually caring about what they learn but rather more on some kind of previous supposition.

Be careful when generalizing, You.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 28, 2014, 01:12:22 am »

Seems like a typical statement to believe EVERYONE is stupid... and EVERYONE will, at one point, believe in entirely contradictory information because they won't put 2 braincells together.

Its a condition called homosapien.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 28, 2014, 01:15:33 am »

It's a rather typical fallacy anyway.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 28, 2014, 01:44:53 am »

Fight bigotry, yes. But how do you fight stereotypes that are positive?
Um, by telling the truth.

I really am not comprehending how you're making this so much more complicated than it is.  Somebody says something bigoted, from a positive or negative angle? Correct them. Full stop.

If all of us did that in our own little worlds when we see our own little individual examples of bigotry in action, it would mostly solve the issues. At least in a generation or two, if not in the immediate future.

That's my big intricate plan, dude. Sorry to disappoint, if you thought laser beam James Bond traps were going to be involved, or something.

Be careful when generalizing, You.
I'm not generalizing. I'm sorry if I was unclear in that quote of mine, but I did not intend to mean that ALL people are dumb and believe all contradictory things. Feel free to insert "some" at the beginning of the bolded sentence. The existence of some such people was all I intended to point out and was all that was necessary for that argument.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 28, 2014, 01:52:03 am »

Ah ._.
Well that makes it a lot better :)

Though, point in that statement. Unless there's an idea that goes against the culture or an observation that it may be wrong exists, it may still be followed.
Goodness knows the number of people who were against being restricted by roles and stereotypes in history but were hindered by...many many factors in between. It's all in history there, the proof.. :-\ :'(

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 28, 2014, 08:22:11 am »

Well "I" personally think everyone is dumb :P

Then again I am like 1/4th misanthrope.

Anyhow Tiruin, "roles" will never go away because Culture always has ideas of the virtues it sees as good and people are expected to fall within them.

Even if there is an idea that goes against culture or that it may be wrong... it may still be followed anyway.

Also who says anything about history Tiruin? It is still going on today.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 28, 2014, 01:26:48 pm »

The way I see it, is if women want to pursue a cultural norm, that is their right. Hence I dislike feminists who try to force all women to reject cultural norms.

However, if a woman doesn't want to follow a cultural norm they are in every way entitled to it.

And vice versa, the same with males.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 28, 2014, 01:46:09 pm »

http://comicsalliance.com/animal-gender-roles-cartoons-humon/

Of probably interest here. A nifty cartoon about a few particularly interesting animal kingdom sex/gender roles. I remember this article being about twice as long, but I can't find the rest of it anywhere.

Edit: here are some (maybe not all) additional ones:
http://imgur.com/user/donern/favorites/rOFkS
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 39