Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WIldlife giving birth  (Read 956 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
WIldlife giving birth
« on: July 23, 2014, 02:54:26 pm »

Is this new for DF2014, or have I never left wildlife alive on my map long enough to witness this?

One of the wild badger sows that are roaming my map just gave birth to a litter of cubs. I even got an announcement for it.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: WIldlife giving birth
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 03:05:08 pm »

I've seen it in DF2012, but only in cages.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 03:06:37 pm »

Is this new for DF2014, or have I never left wildlife alive on my map long enough to witness this?
This sort of thing has been observed back in 0.28.181.40d and likely even earlier - see Camelsplosion.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 03:08:39 pm »

If they're on the map long enough and uncaged (which wildlife usually aren't thanks to militia/traps or leaving before they become pregnant/give birth,) animals will indeed give birth. Happened in older versions, happened in the last one, and I'm not surprised by it happening in this one. I had naked mole dogs breeding unchecked in the caverns of one fort.

As a fun fact I've also read that if animals hang out in the area long enough dwarves may start naming them for shits and giggles.

This sort of thing has been observed back in 0.28.181.40d and likely even earlier - see Camelsplosion.

Damn you ninja!

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 04:22:13 pm »

One thing which makes me wonder is that unseen entities from far below also give birth - and dwarves somehow know about this, even though said entities are not listed in the units screen. Like these bugbats: they are located about 100 levels below my fortress, in completely undiscovered area:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is kind of spoiler, I didn't really need to know what awaits me.

Gukag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 05:27:43 pm »

Best way to get domesticated creatures. If you capture animals, tame them, chain them up then wait until they revert, any infants born will also be considered wild. Taming wild infants always domesticates automatically. Infants born to trained animals will have the same level of training, but will revert eventually once they reach adulthood. Since you can never reach domesticated knowledge for your civilization, expert being the highest, it's the only way, appart from trading with elves, to get fully domesticated exotic pets.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 07:01:04 pm »

After the badger popped out about 10 more pups, I reckoned it's plans to undermine my FPS needed to end, and I chased them off. Apparently, they were stuck on some trees right on the spot where they had been giving birth for a few seasons. As soon as they ran away from my dwarves in horror, they beelined for another map edge and promptly left.
Didn't need them, my enormous and muscular domesticated badger enrichment program is already up and running.

I've got porcupines and badgers so far. When I embarked there were some sea otters on my map but sadly I didn't have a trap out yet. Sea otters are awesome.
This embark has my tiniest piece of ocean ever. it's a 1-deep 18x7 tile block center north in my map. Don't see many sea critters though, except for an occasional crab.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 07:47:37 pm »

Yes it happened to me in 2012 with some hippos stuck in a river. It's purely a matter of time and staying around long enough.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 09:12:23 pm »

Best way to get domesticated creatures. If you capture animals, tame them, chain them up then wait until they revert, any infants born will also be considered wild. Taming wild infants always domesticates automatically. Infants born to trained animals will have the same level of training, but will revert eventually once they reach adulthood. Since you can never reach domesticated knowledge for your civilization, expert being the highest, it's the only way, appart from trading with elves, to get fully domesticated exotic pets.

If you assign infant animals to be trained they will be tamed before reaching adulthood regardless of their training status at birth. As long as your trainers have time to train them, that is.