Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waterfall not misting  (Read 521 times)

JRHaggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Waterfall not misting
« on: July 23, 2014, 10:42:00 am »

In my first attempt at a great hall waterfall, I seem to have missed something.

I have two pairs of two stripes of 7 grates. One pair is in the floor of the great hall and one pair is one z-level directly above the ones in the floor. Water flows through the grates in the ceiling and straight through the floor grates, but there is no evidence of any water in the actual hall. No mist, no happiness buff.

Does the water have to strike something on the great hall floor? Do I need to move my floor grates to either side of of the ceiling grates? Does the water need to fall farther? I'm not sure what I've missed.

I stayed up very late last night in order to complete what I thought would be my dwarfiest project yet, but I'm not feeling very dwarfy. (I could use a drink.)

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Waterfall not misting
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 11:13:40 am »

There's the (very efficient) Dwarfen mist generator which does not require much engineering.
From my point of view your project should produce mist.

How long did you look at it before you concluded that it doesn't work?
Does the water reach the basin below the great hall?

JRHaggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 11:39:50 am »

There's the (very efficient) Dwarfen mist generator which does not require much engineering.
From my point of view your project should produce mist.

How long did you look at it before you concluded that it doesn't work?
Does the water reach the basin below the great hall?

There are drainage tunnels that empty into a cavern and off the edge of the map. The water follows the intended path, with the exception that it seems to teleport through my great hall. There were dwarves standing on and admiring the floor grates, but there was no mention of a waterfall in their thoughts.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 11:49:16 am »

Does the water have to strike something on the great hall floor?
Yes, preferably a statue to prevent dwarf pathing and job cancelation/interruption.

JRHaggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 11:58:16 am »

Does the water have to strike something on the great hall floor?
Yes, preferably a statue to prevent dwarf pathing and job cancelation/interruption.

Aha. So I need to move the grates, install statuary, and try again. Something like this?

Now:

.#.
.#.
.#.
.#.

Later:

#&#
#&#
#&#
#&#

. = floor
# = grate
& = statue

So does water pass through a grate without actually coming into contact with it? Is that why there's no sweet, sweet mist?

edit1: Does the water need to fall more than one z-level? The wiki mentions 3 z-levels but only with respect to potential flooding issues.
edit2: The wiki example shows the water falling onto a grate. I'm wondering if I just needed to give it some time...
edit3: Are the grates in the ceiling the problem?
edit4: Fuckall. I think I know what I did. I think I constructed the ceiling grates on the floor of the upper z-level without channeling the floors out first. I neglected to mention the two wells in the hall I have tied into this system. The water was flowing properly under the wells, thus filling up the drainage tunnels. But no water was actually falling through the ceiling or floor of the hall. So I'll remove the ceiling grates, channel out the floors, replace the grates, and... profit from mist?! I didn't realize you could build grates on top of a floor. I thought they replaced the floor. Durrrr.....
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 01:06:16 pm by JRHaggs »