Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Armor wearing out?  (Read 2920 times)

BWhales034

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Armor wearing out?
« on: July 22, 2014, 04:50:15 pm »

So I'm having an issue, not sure if it's normal or if I'm doing something wrong. I make armor, assign it to a dwarf, and then ten minutes later it's XX[steel breastplate]XX, then it's just gone. I don't remember previous versions having armor wear out, is this normal for 40.04??

cikulisu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armor wearing out?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 05:04:19 pm »

do your dwarves seem to be made of high potency acid ??

BWhales034

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 05:16:54 pm »

Haha, has noone else seriously had this problem? It was driving me crazy, I have to leave the armor on the ground until I get attacked, then try and get my military to armor up before the goblins hit..

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 05:18:58 pm »

Personally, given how buggy everything is in 40.x, I haven't even tried making armor or a military yet.

Any chance you're on an evil embark, or has this happened with multiple different embarks/forts/worlds?

BWhales034

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 05:21:53 pm »

It's definitely been multiple forts (I can't remember if I changed worlds between). Multiple metals too, copper and steel at least. The one thing I thought of that I didn't check was if the armor was degrading while they were training/on duty, or "inactive", or both. Might have to experiment with that a bit. Just started a new world also so I'll see if it happens there as well.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 05:22:15 pm »

Has, at any point, the armor been in a refuse stockpile? There have been cases of this removing the "immunity" to wear that armor has, by being placed in a refuse pile, for any length of time whatsoever.

Zac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 05:27:47 pm »

AFAIK, the only mean to wear down an armor like that is really extreme temperatures. Extreme heat (anything above the melting point of it's material in fact) or extreme cold. No idea if something has changed in 40.04.

BWhales034

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 05:28:45 pm »

Could be, they would have gone into a stockpile that also accepts bones/skulls/hair/etc.. no corpses or body parts. If I last long enough in the new world to start forging I'll do a little experiment see if that was it.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 06:34:14 pm »

AFAIK, the only mean to wear down an armor like that is really extreme temperatures.

Or to put it into a stockpile that has the Refuse category enabled.  Even if nothing inside the category is permitted.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 06:40:00 pm »

For the love of hell people, stop making everything piles.  Since 34.01 the refuse pile has caused constant degradation of all items placed within it.  You cannot store your finished goods with your bones, hair, etc., unless you want to have all of your lovely items rot to nothing.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 08:13:54 pm »

AFAIK, the only mean to wear down an armor like that is really extreme temperatures. Extreme heat (anything above the melting point of it's material in fact) or extreme cold. No idea if something has changed in 40.04.
Steel (or more accurately, the metal template it defers to on this issue) has no HEATDAM or COLDDAM points, so it should never be damaged by any heat or cold.

It can melt or boil, yes, but shouldn't take XXsteelXX damage.

I mean it could be a bug, but if so, it seems like it should be happening to all sorts of materials all the time, if the source code for temperature damage is messed up.  It seems much more likely that it's some sort of "armor being treated as weird clothing" thing or whatnot.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:15:47 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

dudlol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 08:44:15 pm »

Wait, if a refuse pile degrades things till they disappear, I could make an actual dump by setting a refuse pile in my dumping zone? Stuff would even eventually disappear?

aaronfu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 09:24:11 pm »

Will a custom stockpile with refuse enabled still cause item degradation? I like to keep a supply of bones handy for moods.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 10:04:30 pm »

Will a custom stockpile with refuse enabled still cause item degradation? I like to keep a supply of bones handy for moods.

If refuse is enabled, then everything within that pile will degrade when placed in it.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 05:40:50 am »

Yes; any stockpile with the "refuse" category active (even if no refuse items are active) will cause degradation of (some) items. Simply disable "bones" in all your stockpiles and they will conveniently build up in the butcher shop for strange moods and crafting. The same applies to ivory, teeth, etc.

(It would be nice if degradation were a 'u' option (like "empty cages" and "prepared meals", but until then don't store anything useful in a stockpile with refuse enabled.)
Pages: [1] 2 3