Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Armor wearing out?  (Read 2917 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armor wearing out?
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2014, 08:41:59 pm »

There is a bug report already for that.

Possibly, but the one you linked to is for butchers refusing to work on small creatures.

Ah... here's one.  Bug 5711: Armor/clothing decays in an "everything" stockpile that includes refuse.  You might consider adding notes to that bug report, so people (Toady and his bug triage nurses) know it's still an issue for you.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armor wearing out?
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2014, 02:28:16 am »

1) Armor is not "damaged clothing" and should have no means by which to ever BECOME damaged, thus Toady's quote above should never apply to this situation.

Armour is handled as clothing with an extra flag ("armour level"). I'm pretty certain that this level both restricts equipping to the military menu only and at the same time removes wear while equipped. That armour in refuse piles is treated like _any other wearable item_ is not very surprising, although it feels like a bug. (By the way, leather and wooden armour can get damaged by excessive heat or cold; metal armour would not take damage but rather melt).

Just being equipped still doesn't seem to make armour wear out - i have a bunch of spare time militia who've been wearing their iron mail shirts for years, and they're still in pristine condition. I could imagine that use (i.e. combat, including simulated in sparring) could cause armour damage, but haven't heard of anything like that, so accidentally throwing freshly-forged armour onto an "everything including refuse" pile still feels like the most likely suspect.

2) I'm pretty sure furniture and other stuff rots in a stockpile with refuse included,

Undamaged furniture certainly doesn't. I haven't seen anything decay through the x/X/XX symbols that wasn't clothing/armour (rotten food seems to rot away faster than otherwise when in a refuse stockpile, but it doesn't go through the visible wear grades; last time i checked, unrotten food didn't rot in refuse stockpiles).
Pages: 1 2 [3]