Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Sim Racing Thread, Current Details: iRacing Team Racing! Assetto Corsa Released!  (Read 8043 times)

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
Re: Sim Racing Thread, Contains new deals 8/21. Assetto Corsa 50% off
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 01:16:08 pm »

So the only excuse not buying is the lack of steering wheel and the space for it.  :( You're making this hard!

Well, nothing beats 75 min endurance races at a track like Road America, let me tell you. Especially in my custom painted car. Sponsor is a stream I watch that I figured would make a cool car skin. The first pic is it without the custom skin applied, instead the paint people would see if they didn't have the app that automatically shares custom paints.

But yeah, the cheapest "decent" wheel you can get is the Logitech DFGT, which can be found for around $90, while the next step up, the G25/27, goes for aroun $180 for the g25, but it's a much nicer setup, includes a clutch pedal and an H shifter. I myself use the g27, which is a slightly newer iteration from the 25, which uses a slightly better FFB system and has more buttons on the wheel spokes itself. But that's around $220 new.

Spoiler: DFGT Pic (click to show/hide)

Nao

• Bay Watcher
  • (A!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 05:15:23 pm »

Bumping because new weekend deal is active for Assetto Corsa.

Very tempting. Is there a plan to add Japanese cars? If I added a modded car, would it replace existing car or just add more cars to select?
There will be a Nissan GTR added soon (tm) (i think it will be the R34 model and it's GT version, with the R34 probably having several upgrades) There is definitely demand for japanese cars so i'm sure there will be more of that later, including other brands.
Aside from that there are already several japanese mod cars that are pretty good, the Nissan S14, Datsun pickup drift car (pretty good). And a lot more mods in production, like AE86, RX7, the small 3 wheel truck :D
Its quite easy to make a car mod in AC as long as you can make 3d model and have the data on suspension etc. Basic dev kit although somewhat buggy and incomplete is included already, right along with a template car to start from something... (There are already amazing mods out there "official content quality level" like the cobra or nordschleife).

So the only excuse not buying is the lack of steering wheel and the space for it.  :( You're making this hard!

There are quite a lot of people driving with gamepads (for a full fledged sim), some of them very fast... With stability control, and half an hour spent on making sure things are comfortable it works pretty well. (Still having a ffb wheel makes it much more awesome, as AC has the best driving physics and ffb feel of all the sims out there (IMHO))

For example the guy in the ferrari 458 uses gamepad (im the first car :P) ... that was like 5th lap constantly drifting by the four of us. So it's not required to have a wheel to have fun :D

Then if you like the game... logitech DFGT wheel is really cheap with good wheel base and ffb.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 05:24:13 pm by Nao »

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 08:18:34 pm »

Does the race in AC allow for multiple different makes and models? I've only seen a solo run or single-type cars (e.g. all BMW M3 and nothing else on track)?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Nao

• Bay Watcher
  • (A!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 08:34:43 pm »

Does the race in AC allow for multiple different makes and models? I've only seen a solo run or single-type cars (e.g. all BMW M3 and nothing else on track)?
Yeah of course, i've recently made a server on a new modded track with 6 different car models. Of course there are some limitations, like the number of pitboxes on track and that *currently* in freejoin mode multiplayer, cars need to be preloaded (preselected type/skin combo) for every player slot (same can be done in single player with skins random). But in Booking mode event if server would allow that virtually every car could join.
Just as an example (one of my videos :P): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naPiyHzCy1A a GT class race with 4 different car models (Z4GT3, MP4GT3, EvoraGTC, EvoraGX) (the white bodywork is a placeholder for custom skins, since for now there is no automatic download, it's possible to see custom skins on other drivers thou when you have them downloaded manually)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 08:36:42 pm by Nao »

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2014, 01:30:37 am »

Just as an example (one of my videos :P): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naPiyHzCy1A a GT class race with 4 different car models (Z4GT3, MP4GT3, EvoraGTC, EvoraGX) (the white bodywork is a placeholder for custom skins, since for now there is no automatic download, it's possible to see custom skins on other drivers thou when you have them downloaded manually)

Nice video and proper music. Glad to see another Initial D fan.  :P Does AC have proper damage modeling?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2014, 01:31:07 am »

Not yet

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2014, 10:54:39 pm »

Unfortunately as far as GT3 goes, EA has an exclusive license with Porsche, which means in order to get the Porsche GT3 in their sims, game makers instead have to either pay what EA want's to sub license (AKA: Entirely too much money) or talk to RUF, which is a Custom car constructor which uses Porsche chassis and other components as a base and, thanks to German law, counts as a different company enough for EA's exclusive license to no longer apply.

The problem is they're known for being... a bit insistent on their cars being modeled after what they sell, not what a race version would look like. So while everything under the hood, the physics, the horsepower, the sounds, etc, are to the specs of the car when it's raced, the interiors and exteriors tend to look more like what RUF considered it's target demographic, high performance street cars for the wealthy.

The interior to the RUF Assetto Corsa has the rights to will likely have a similar non-race interior.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 01:59:54 am »

out of interest, what's the maximum thickness that the G27 wheel+gearstick can grip? My desk is nearly 40mm thick.
Magma is overrated.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 12:51:03 pm »

out of interest, what's the maximum thickness that the G27 wheel+gearstick can grip? My desk is nearly 40mm thick.

The shifter has around 1 7/8 inches (47mm) of clearance with the clamps. However the wheel base only has 1 1/4 (31mm) inch clearance. However the pegs on the Wheelbase have a J shape to their clamp, and according to the user manual that part can be removed to make the clamps more L shaped, but I cannot give a measurement for the distance it would have at that size, however a rough estimate with the tapemeasure says 45-48mm or thereabouts, depending on where the L part goes to. Like I said, I'm not pulling my J peg off to check as it looks like it would be a complete bitch to get back on, but it should fit on your desk.

Also make sure you get the right one for your region, as it does require an external power supply.

Nao

• Bay Watcher
  • (A!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 01:24:50 am »

Adding to Silent_Thunder's answer (since i have the pegs removed) both the base and shifter has 51mm  of of clamping distance (with a ~1mm more play). Also i think the pegs are quite easy to remove and connect again :P.

And also news about japanese cars that @BuriBuriZaemon was interested in: https://www.facebook.com/Assetto.Corsa/photos/a.340573865968938.100344.305504559475869/951755281517457/?type=1&theater

Assetto Corsa – TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION License officially revealed!
Therefore we are so glad to announce that Assetto Corsa will include in future, as officially licensed contents the following Toyota car models:

Production:
 GT-86
 SUPRA MK IV
 CELICA
 AE-86
 Racing models:
 GT-86 GT4
 TS040 HYBRID

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sim Racing Thread, Current Deals: iRacing 3 months free.
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2014, 11:35:14 pm »

Watkins Glen really is a paradox. It has by far some of the best racing around, but at the same time, the worst racing.

Case in point, race I had a few days ago me and 4 or 5 other guys were in a tight group constantly battling for position for the entirety of the 30 min race. But, before that happened, this happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZrSCMHk948&list=UURS2epeW2-RFsIeqKz-Gs8w

I started at the back of the field and decided to maybe ease into the start, and I'm glad I did, had I been trying to pass anyone at that start I probably wouldn't have been able to avoid that mess. It always seems to be the BMW drivers too for some reason...

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2014, 12:41:01 am »

Adding to Silent_Thunder's answer (since i have the pegs removed) both the base and shifter has 51mm  of of clamping distance (with a ~1mm more play). Also i think the pegs are quite easy to remove and connect again :P.

And also news about japanese cars that @BuriBuriZaemon was interested in: https://www.facebook.com/Assetto.Corsa/photos/a.340573865968938.100344.305504559475869/951755281517457/?type=1&theater

Assetto Corsa – TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION License officially revealed!
Therefore we are so glad to announce that Assetto Corsa will include in future, as officially licensed contents the following Toyota car models:

Production:
 GT-86
 SUPRA MK IV
 CELICA
 AE-86
 Racing models:
 GT-86 GT4
 TS040 HYBRID

I really hope they bring the FT-1 concept, AKA the next Supra ideally with the BMW 4.4l TwinPower Turbo V8
Only a simple mind can be certain.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2014, 03:04:42 am »

Fingers crossed for Nissan to make it into the final cut eventually.
Magma is overrated.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2014, 11:05:20 am »

Assetto Corssa update .21 dropped today. Lots of good stuff contained within, gonna link the patchnotes in this spoiler tag.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It amuses me that both iRacing and Assetto Corsa both had low speed tire jitter bugs at the same time, and fixed it within days of each other. Must be a full moon or something.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2014, 04:41:33 pm »

Well, i got that wheel, and i've got to say, its a heck of a lot of fun! Still taking a bit of getting used to, however I haven't hopped back in a real car since getting it, so i'm starting to get a bit worried...
Magma is overrated.
Pages: 1 [2] 3