Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Shy Goblins?  (Read 1929 times)

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shy Goblins?
« on: July 22, 2014, 02:06:44 am »

So I'm now finishing off the Autumn of year 3 at a single fortress. A single squad of goblins attacked me, giving me a "vile force of darkness" instead of an ambusher warning, way back in my 2nd summer, but since then I've hit 80, and had three more migration waves to boot, now I'm at 120, and still no siege. Not that I mind the time to finish my castle, but I am hoping to finish it sooner or later. Is this a bug, or just the RNG going soft on me?

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shy Goblins?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 02:07:01 am »

If it makes any difference, the Caravan never has any news.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 02:11:23 am »

The attackers are drawn from historical figures and since world is activated, sieges and ambushed no longer happen because of game deciding "Whelp, player has played enough, time to attack". So I guess either goblin civilization got conquered, goblin civilization is conquering someone else, all goblins died or they just decided to not attack your dwarf civilization or some reason  :P

(Most of time in my games my dwarf civilization starts out healthy, but since currently invaders always win after world gen, after few months all of my dwarf civilization fortresses besides my own are conquered by goblins so when I go to adventure mode afterwards I can't start out as fortress guard since fortresses no longer exist. Maybe I just have bad luck or something)

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 02:12:02 am »

Are there any healthy goblin civs near your embark?

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 02:19:27 am »

Should be. There was a tower and a large series of pits, and my Dwarf Civ has only the Mountainhome, my fort, and three ruins, I assumed Goblin-wrought ruins.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 02:42:12 am »

They are not on my (c)ivilizations menu, but I mean, they attacked me.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 03:26:22 am »

The attackers are drawn from historical figures

I like the idea of defeating the goblins so hard the dont come back again, at least foar a while. I can have fun with something else.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 07:45:56 am »

They are not on my (c)ivilizations menu, but I mean, they attacked me.
That was a bandit group not a civ. I've had this too.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 08:04:31 am »

Ahhhh, a bandit group, intriguing. So does this mean the goblins round here are extinct? Strange.

Zac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 08:23:26 am »

I discovered that fact by accident in my current fortress, leading to a... erm... "diplomatic incident". I was attacked by a group of humans and i thought they were regular soldiers of the human civ trying to backstab me (we found coins of that civ on one of them). I may or may not have slaughtered their next caravan in retaliation... who know ?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:32:00 am by Zac »

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 08:31:49 am »

I discovered that fact by accident in my current fortress, leading to a... erm... "diplomatic incident". I was attacked by a group of humans and i thought they was regular soldier of the human civ trying to backstab me (we found coins of that civ on one of them). I may or may not have slaughtered their next caravan in retaliation... who know ?

lol, I guess you forgot that civilization doesn't send caravans if they are hostile towards you  :P

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 08:36:24 am »

Ahhhh, a bandit group, intriguing. So does this mean the goblins round here are extinct? Strange.
That or you embarked too far away.

Zac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 08:36:39 am »

I discovered that fact by accident in my current fortress, leading to a... erm... "diplomatic incident". I was attacked by a group of humans and i thought they was regular soldier of the human civ trying to backstab me (we found coins of that civ on one of them). I may or may not have slaughtered their next caravan in retaliation... who know ?

lol, I guess you forgot that civilization doesn't send caravans if they are hostile towards you  :P

Yep... but in previous versions, if there is humans attacking you it mean you are at war with the humans, I'm not used to all that banditry thing. It's their fault anyway. THEIR bandits attacked ME, someone had to pay for the two guys the bandits killed during the raid.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:39:20 am by Zac »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 09:35:52 am »

Given the way traps don't really work , and given how infrequently goblins show up in 40.x, it looks like the only way to test hallways-o-death is to create necromancer/tower worlds.

That's unfortunate.  I miss goblinite from 34.11. :( 

On the other hand, goblin squads still stand around like lost children when their leader dies in 40.x, so until that's fixed, no point in a hallway-o-death anyway..  Maybe dfhack will be able to trigger invasions like it does in 34.11.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 11:29:22 am »

That or you embarked too far away.

Oh man, I don't have to, like, be within 10 like a tower now, do I?
Pages: [1] 2