Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

what is your opinion on cursive writing (feel free to change your vote if somebody makes a convincing argument in this thread)

its horrible its never exusable
- 44 (41.9%)
it has its uses but sometimes print is better
- 56 (53.3%)
all writing should be cursive
- 5 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: cursive writing  (Read 19312 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: cursive writing
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2014, 11:13:03 am »

Eh, I guess they aren't different, but I don't think my writing is cursive enough to warrant calling it that.

Like, I join small letters together but not capitals, no big loops and letters with crosses like "t" tend to break the chain of joining.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2014, 11:15:10 am »

You don't join capital letters anyway, in any method of writing. At least, not that I've seen anyone use, which is as far as I can comment.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2014, 11:17:37 am »

Cursive is a holdover from before ballpoint pens, where it was more practical to leave the nib of a fountain pen or quill on the paper to avoid messes.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2014, 11:41:08 am »

At least, not that I've seen anyone use, which is as far as I can comment.
I'm the exception! *insert mongols*

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2014, 02:51:32 pm »

I think, if the handwriting is very heavy on the cursive, reading it becomes more knowing where certain letters fall in a word rather than being able to read every individual letter. In this for example, I can tell it says "Independence" because the I, d, p, and d stand out clearly from the other letters.

Honestly, I find that text quite easy to read. It is a very clean style, compared to most stuff you will see around. But I guess perhaps around here cursive is just more common.

Personally, my natural (well, what comes easy to me. I doubt there is anything natural involved) handwriting is cursive. It is quite unreadable, but more due to poor coordination and training on my part ( not to mention hurry) it is quite poor, although somewhat improving over the years.
A few years ago however I learned writing in print-like characters due to it being easier to read, in great part because it forces me to go way slower ( cursive is much faster, considering I don't ever need to lift my pen and it uses continuous lines).

This had the result that now whenever I write slowly, I write in print but whenever I speed up, I relapse into cursive. Sometimes even mid-word. And then back again when I slow down again for whatever reason. Must be confusing to see :P

I however use a customized print alphabet with elements from both normal print and cursive.

So I guess I am an odd hybrid.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2014, 02:56:07 pm »

As someone who writes with cursive - and often a fountain pen, I will confirm that it looks more like a random scrawl than writing to most other people. It isn't helped by the fact that I also use my own abbreviation system too. And even when it is legible, people always seem to get confused by the zs.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2014, 03:15:57 pm »

I use it for signing my name, but I don't write in cursive at all otherwise.

Mostly because I kinda sorta skipped the grade where we learned cursive. But also because my handwriting sucks.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2014, 04:27:55 pm »

I learned cursive in school and I'm fairly sure I wrote that way for most of my youth (I don't think it was strictly required or graded, more just a case of going with what we were taught).

~20 years later I mostly just print, although checking some of my writing I do appear to join up some letters sometimes, particularly when going into an 'e' or out of an 'a'.  My normal writing isn't terribly stylish or pretty, but it's usually quite clear.

The amount my letters join up tends to increase when trying to write quickly and/or taking a rough note to myself.  At the most extreme (usually: minute taking) my normally legible writing turns into a continuous slightly wiggly line with the occasional 'stalk' where a letter like d or p occurs.  I can *mostly* still read it afterwards, just from the vague shape of the words and the context.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2014, 04:32:36 pm »

Print master race.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2014, 12:24:06 pm »

I think, if the handwriting is very heavy on the cursive, reading it becomes more knowing where certain letters fall in a word rather than being able to read every individual letter. In this for example, I can tell it says "Independence" because the I, d, p, and d stand out clearly from the other letters.
Honestly, I find that text quite easy to read. It is a very clean style, compared to most stuff you will see around. But I guess perhaps around here cursive is just more common.
Nah, it's just that it's actually pretty easy to read. I guarantee that's written by a calligrapher rather then being someones sloppy (or slope-y) hand writing. I'm doing something similar to what Mech #4's talking about. I'm picking out the whole word rather then the individual letters. The "I"s would look like "J"'s to me if they were by themselves but my eyes pick them out immediately as "I"s because of the letters following them.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2014, 02:04:57 pm »

While I know how to write in cursive, I find it takes too long to write, tires out my hand and turns out to be unreadable due to being a jambled mess. These days I use a sort of stylized print, which tends to look a lot like something you'd find sprayed onto a wall. Quite readable, even if people complain it's ugly.

Most cursive I've seen is either horribly mangled or just servicable. Although I've seen one example of cursive handwriting that was so pretty that you couldn't understand any of it.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2014, 05:25:17 pm »

Spoiler: Comparison! (click to show/hide)

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2014, 05:26:06 pm »

Quite readable, I will upload mine I guess.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 05:28:41 pm by Alev »

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2014, 06:11:00 pm »

Without Cursive, how do you sign your signature?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2014, 06:21:20 pm »

Very carefully.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10