Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

what is your opinion on cursive writing (feel free to change your vote if somebody makes a convincing argument in this thread)

its horrible its never exusable
- 44 (41.9%)
it has its uses but sometimes print is better
- 56 (53.3%)
all writing should be cursive
- 5 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: cursive writing  (Read 19286 times)

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
cursive writing
« on: July 21, 2014, 08:23:44 pm »

can we take a moment out of our days to discuss just how ridiculous cursive writing is
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: cursive writing
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 08:25:58 pm »

I personally find the effort to lift and lower the pen in between letters too much to bother with regular writing. Considering that my handwriting is unreadable either way, it doesn't make a difference anyway.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 08:30:21 pm »

I personally find the effort to lift and lower the pen in between letters too much to bother with regular writing. Considering that my handwriting is unreadable either way, it doesn't make a difference anyway.

why cant I stop laughing at that last line

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 08:36:01 pm »

This, so much this.

I was like the ONLY person in school who used cursive when not specifically asked to.
Including the teachers.

I can only imagine they still have voodoo dolls in my likeness o.o
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 09:44:23 pm »

-forced to learn it third grade onwards
-write horribly
-reach highschool
-write cursive on heavy writing history test
-POINT DEDUCTION: UNREADABLE
-well fuck
-back to print....FOREVER!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 10:16:20 pm »

Cursive is excellent. It allows better flow from thought to paper while encrypting your word to the untrained or lazy eye. Print's just scrawl by comparison.
Alternative: Type. Always. Faster, actually legible, and if you want you could actually encrypt it. If you practice keyboarding its not difficult to crank out pages of writing while having a conversation with someone else, or at the very least taking your visual attention off of the keyboard. This is much more difficult if you try it with writing, since you have to align your letters manually. Also, j and ; actually look different!
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 10:22:21 pm »

I was not expecting such divided opinion I was expecting most would agree with me its good seeing what you all have to say though im going to set up a poll

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 10:23:24 pm »

I prefer cursive, for my own use anyway. If I'm writing something that is intended for someone else, I almost never use it because a) they couldn't read it because it's cursive, or b) they can't read it because it's my long, spidery cursive.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 10:23:33 pm »

Cursive is excellent. It allows better flow from thought to paper while encrypting your word to the untrained or lazy eye. Print's just scrawl by comparison.
+1

Except I can't cursive. At all. I can write in Phoenician, but fancy English is too difficult.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 10:37:36 pm »

Cursive fails the first test of being a writing system, in that it's unable to transmit information from one person to another. Therefor I think cursive is basically worthless.

Although seriously. Yeah. Cursive is actually pretty awful. I sorta wonder how long (if that's even still a thing) people are going to be tought it. Past elementary school the only time I use cursive is for signing my name, but really, I just make up swirly patterns that look vaguely right for that, hell, I've even been told that's a better way of doing it because it makes my signature harder to forge.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 11:43:52 pm »

Cursive is super-fast, but many people can't read it. It's great for notes, if you know it, but horrible for anything you need other people to be able to read.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 11:52:37 pm »

I write with my letters connected, though it's still quite legible as it's not fully curvy/wavy. I can read cursive since my grandparents write in full cursive and that's far more flowery than mine.

This is how I was taught. It's not full on curves upon curves but is linking letters together.

It does let me write faster, but my biggest hurdle is not having a death-grip on my pen while writing. Years of using cheap biros does that.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 12:18:11 am »

I write with my letters connected, though it's still quite legible as it's not fully curvy/wavy. I can read cursive since my grandparents write in full cursive and that's far more flowery than mine.

This is how I was taught. It's not full on curves upon curves but is linking letters together.

It does let me write faster, but my biggest hurdle is not having a death-grip on my pen while writing. Years of using cheap biros does that.

kinda derailing but i would like to mention that i always had to use cheap biros because i lost my pens all the time also chewed them to hell but thats interesting yeah connected letters arent to bad as long as there not curvy

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 12:23:09 am »

I can't even read my own writing when I print the letters half the time.
Needless to say, cursive is out for me, except for signing my name.
Take a closer look at this text!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 12:23:39 am »

It's useless. Even signatures are just a tradition that will probably be replaced sooner rather than later with an electronic alternative.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10