Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to avoid Dried up Oceans with a single island? v34  (Read 3752 times)

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to avoid Dried up Oceans with a single island? v34
« on: July 21, 2014, 06:42:51 pm »

Hey folks,

I have been playing around with advanced world gen parameters, and I want to make a single island surrounded by ocean.

However, after generating for a while, the Oceans dry up. What could be causing this?

One of the Default parameters sets, labeled MEDIUM ISLAND, seems close to what I was going for, but it creates an archipelago. Can I modify this set to create one Pangaea-like super continent?

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to avoid Dried up Oceans with a single island? v34
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 09:20:08 pm »

If you really wanna get specific requirements in your world genning, check my sig.

What exactly do you mean by 'dried up' oceans? Do you mean evil oceans?
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 09:36:17 pm »

"Island" merely means that all 4 edges are ocean. It has no checks for whether the interior is a single mass or not. That to some degree will always require some amount of trial and error.

You can stack the odds in your favor, however, by using very large "mesh size"s for elevation, and low variance numbers. The result will be a fairly bland landscape, but also one that isn't broken up very much or at all.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 12:30:54 am »

What exactly do you mean by 'dried up' oceans? Do you mean evil oceans?
I appear muddy/tan on the map. Like a dry lake bed. Using Phoebus' tileset.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 02:07:52 am »

As suggested above, brown water means evil oceans, not dried up oceans. As in, there will be weird weather that makes your dwarves sick and things might reanimate there once dead, etc.

If you don't want evil oceans, then you need to go to advanced world gen and set "desired number of evil tiles in large/medium/small areas" all to zero.

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 02:56:05 am »

As others have mentioned some of the oceans are turning brown as part of a normal part of world generation where the alignment of regions is determined and aren't actually drying up. You can remove evil biomes from the game but it will have much broader effects on your game than simply keeping some of the oceans from turning brown. It will make certain resources impossible to find on your planet and remove all of the more challenging regions you can embark in.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 03:03:00 am by Melting Sky »

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 05:05:28 am »

Aaaaand this is one reason to not use tilesets :P Cause same symbols are used for multiple different things so it can look very confusing when travel map town symbol is same as floor symbol

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 05:12:11 am »

To be fair, in standard ASCII worldmap evil oceans look like dried up muddy pool floors too.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 05:30:04 am »

To be fair, in standard ASCII worldmap evil oceans look like dried up muddy pool floors too.

Yeah, but its easier to get used to that than looking at travel map and seeing floor on it

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 08:49:01 am »

If you don't want evil oceans, then you need to go to advanced world gen and set "desired number of evil tiles in large/medium/small areas" all to zero.

Put down that hammer Urist! Evil/Good main oceans can be avoided by changing the desired number of evil/good tiles in large areas to zero. Nobody wants to play without good and evil in the world I think. That's two thirds of the content stripped out.

I recommend a high number of tiles in the 'medium' category with a smattering of tiles in 'small' regions. Minor oceans can turn, but ideally you want the main ocean to be nuetral while also having a good minor ocean for mermaids and stuff and an evil minor ocean for fun things like skeletal whales.

My latest forts:

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 12:54:50 pm »

That's weird, because it would be entire oceans, not just part of. There is no blue on my maps except rivers.

I will have to examine this more closely.

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 01:17:18 pm »

I recommend a high number of tiles in the 'medium' category with a smattering of tiles in 'small' regions. Minor oceans can turn, but ideally you want the main ocean to be nuetral while also having a good minor ocean for mermaids and stuff and an evil minor ocean for fun things like skeletal whales.

OK I think I see the problem. I looks like it always produces one ocean which turns evil, every time.

Can someone share parameters that would to do one of the following?

1. Partition the Ocean into multiples, so that I can do what is described above.

2. Just make the Ocean neutral, without eliminating evil areas from the game on land.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 01:23:40 pm by Art »

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 01:21:44 pm »

Nobody wants to play without good and evil in the world I think.
I despise both good and evil areas. They are gaudy, cartoonish eyesores with fairly limiting (less variable), unimaginative content.
The fact that that's not at all how good and evil actually work doesn't help, either. I'm an adult, who signed up to play a dark, sophisticated game. Not to watch a disney movie.

But yes, if you like them, that's true - you can just set it to zero for large areas only.

That's weird, because it would be entire oceans, not just part of.
Not weird, always works like that on smaller maps. The oceans are aforementioned "large regions"

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 01:37:31 pm »

I despise both good and evil areas. They are gaudy, cartoonish eyesores with fairly limiting (less variable), unimaginative content.
The fact that that's not at all how good and evil actually work doesn't help, either. I'm an adult, who signed up to play a dark, sophisticated game. Not to watch a disney movie.

But yes, if you like them, that's true - you can just set it to zero for large areas only.

I think there's a lot of fun stuff in those regions. Good areas have some rare creatures that you can craft with. It's fun to decorate your weapons with unicorn horn, or watch waves of mountain gnomes try to guzzle your alcohol.

Evil regions are definitely a challenge in most cases. I'm not masochistic enough to build a fort there, but they make for interesting decisions in adventure mode when you target happens to be hiding in one, or if you want to risk crossing it quickly or go the long way around.

My latest forts:

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 03:02:41 pm »

That's weird, because it would be entire oceans, not just part of.
Not weird, always works like that on smaller maps. The oceans are aforementioned "large regions"

I'm not quite sure how you can argue that adding a large variety of game mechanics by including aligned areas in the world is somehow making the game less variable. It's actually the exact opposite of what that word means. "Variable" is the opposite of uniform which is what creating an all neutral world is heading towards. By removing biome options and game mechanics you certainly aren't increasingly variability. I think you are in the VAST minority in that you prefer a world with less biome and game play variability but to each their own. Everyone is free to play as they like.  :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 03:09:40 pm by Melting Sky »
Pages: [1] 2