Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF2014... FPS  (Read 2655 times)

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF2014... FPS
« on: July 21, 2014, 02:50:22 pm »

I thought I noticed somewhere else on this site, but am I right in thinking that df2014 totally does in fps at the moment?

I noticed in my first attempt with the new version, that fps where very very very much lower than previous versions?

I'm just trying to decide whether to give it another go or drop back to 2012 for awhile?

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014... FPS
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 02:59:02 pm »

It can get very slow.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 03:06:09 pm »

The FPS issues are due to the world being simulated in the background. It needs some serious optimising that Toady hasn't quite got around to yet.

The best way around it is the generate a smaller world with short history, so the simulation has less stuff to chug through and slow your fort down. It shouldn't drop to unplayable speeds unless you're running Dwarf Fortress on a toaster.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 03:09:25 pm »

In doubt, go back to the previous version, at least until the warning on the front site go away. Any amount of "serious" DF gameplay at the moment is very restricted. I would suggest to play in the new version only if you enjoy finding and reporting bugs.

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 03:12:37 pm »

25 fps?  I fear my pc which was awesome when I built it 8 years ago is now a bit of a toaster..

25 isn't unplayable just very slow..

Ok smaller world it is.. medium is too much.. I did wonder why it went up and down.. very cool though that the world progresses as I do!

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 03:13:06 pm »

In doubt, go back to the previous version, at least until the warning on the front site go away. Any amount of "serious" DF gameplay at the moment is very restricted. I would suggest to play in the new version only if you enjoy finding and reporting bugs.

Thanks for the heads up!

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 03:26:23 pm »

I play on a Small Region with a max history length of 100 years, and I tend to run roughly about what I did on 34.11 (100(50) fps). I do get some random drops to where it gets really slow, but usually that happens when there's a lot of birds flying around. Not sure if it is specifically linked though.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 03:34:10 pm »

The flight pathfinding is also bugged, currently. It's why birds keep randomly falling out of the sky.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 05:10:51 pm »

. It shouldn't drop to unplayable speeds unless you're running Dwarf Fortress on a toaster.

You can do that?

WHOOOOAAAA!

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 05:20:49 pm »

. It shouldn't drop to unplayable speeds unless you're running Dwarf Fortress on a toaster.

You can do that?

WHOOOOAAAA!

How to win a computerized toaster system suitable for this purpose:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq4KKnYsWWo
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 06:09:26 pm »

The flight pathfinding is also bugged, currently. It's why birds keep randomly falling out of the sky.

So dont be surprised when a bird brains one of your dwarves and you cant figure out why he is dead.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 06:38:15 pm »

Actually -- Completely unrelated to the thread, but since I saw it on the bug tracker I've been wanting to share it -- it's not the fault of the path-finding, rather some of the tile-blocks don't seem to load proper, resulting in an invisible wall of un-loaded tiles in the sky. A flying adventurer can go past it, but birds don't understand invisible walls of unloaded tiles and just crash into it.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 09:14:03 pm »

Looks like it's going to improve:
Quote from: Devlog
Took a first stab at the calendar lag today. Starting with a 200-year medium world running a 23 second dwarf mode two-week calendar and a 2 minute adventure mode two-week calendar (adv mode runs some extra information since the initial army/etc. positioning is important), I managed to get it down to 10 seconds and 11 seconds respectively by doing some normal optimizations and cleaning up some path-finding mistakes. There are many more things that can be done, and hopefully all of it can be done without weakening the simulation. The faster calendar affects regular fort mode speed to some degree, and also things like sleep being slow in adventure mode. The faster calendar is also good because it starts to open the door for optionally longer wait periods and other stuff like that. More bug fixes tomorrow, probably.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 12:42:01 pm »

I play on a Small Region with a max history length of 100 years, and I tend to run roughly about what I did on 34.11 (100(50) fps). I do get some random drops to where it gets really slow, but usually that happens when there's a lot of birds flying around. Not sure if it is specifically linked though.

Flyer pathing has had bugs in it for years but they have been compounded in the new version to the point that they can now cause crashes and serious FPS loss. This is one of the main reasons that setting the circus loose has always destroyed your FPS. Most of those evil things can fly.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 02:47:50 pm »

Background history is definitely part of the game that should be run on another Core.
That would perhaps help speed up the game.
Pages: [1] 2