Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: goblins are the worst  (Read 1510 times)

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
goblins are the worst
« on: July 21, 2014, 11:07:41 am »

...at surviving worldgen?

Made a few worlds in 40.04, and it seems consistently true that most sites in the world cannot be accessed by goblins.

I've been scanning the embark map looking for places to set up fortresses where they can be besieged, and I'm struck by how much of the map is (apparently?) totally goblin-free. On four maps in a row, now.

Am I having a weird run of luck, or have goblins been changed so that many of their civilizations are dying out in the first part of world generation?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: goblins are the worst
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 11:15:37 am »

How large are your worlds? It's possible that the geography of your worlds is just making it hard for them to find you.

Rum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 11:25:00 am »

Seems to be a bug.  I genned a world where there was a large number of goblin sites, more than human/elf/dwarf combined on year 5 but unless i embarked within a world tile of them they would not show up on my neighbor screen.  Havent gotten a fort to last long enough with the FPS to see if they will still show up when goblins clearly exist but are not marked as neighbors.

My goblins are modded to occasionally be as big as trolls, and I think this was taken into account during world generation(not sure if it still is with all invasions being successful now.)

Larger goblins in the previous version seemed to kick more ass in world gen, and so did my elves modded to use metal.  Need to play around more to see if this is still the case.

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 11:58:20 am »

How large are your worlds? It's possible that the geography of your worlds is just making it hard for them to find you.
A variety of sizes, up to Medium.

Are goblins perhaps just "leashed" to their home sites now? Seems like in earlier versions, they always had access to every space on the map, provided they existed anywhere. Now you have to be a certain proximity to their Towers (or whatever they're called, "Towers" might be necromancers, haven't figured that out yet) for goblins to reach you?

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 11:59:20 am »

Are you using Advanced worldgen?  Someone else in General was reporting a similar problem, and switching to Default worldgen parameters seemed to correct the issue.

Hope this helps...
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 12:03:21 pm »

Just genned a new world and goblins were behaving as normal.

You can check the goblin population by going into legends mode, pressing 'p' to export the world info and then looking at the world_sites_and_pops file which is generated in your DF folder.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 01:46:18 pm »

Are you using Advanced worldgen?  Someone else in General was reporting a similar problem, and switching to Default worldgen parameters seemed to correct the issue.

Hope this helps...
I am using Default worldgen, just playing with the five or six basic options.

My fifth world of the day seemed to have goblins pretty much everywhere, so I don't know what's going on here. Smaller world than before; maybe that's a factor.

lianopbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 02:18:44 pm »

I played a lot with the generator.
On the smaller worlds where there is not much room to develop, dwarves and goblins tend to be eliminated quickly and i found humans often dominate

But you can place more biomes where a civ will thrive
for example goblins are the only ones to populate 50-100 Rainfall 0-30 Drainage biomes, so just place a lot of that biome and they will survive
I think deserts also works well for gobs (0-9 Rainfall 0-30 drainage)

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 02:55:15 pm »

My experience (40.03) is the opposite, with goblins roflstompling everything in the world.
The only thing that seem to stop them is water. Maybe unluck, or geography is against them?

Nasty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 10:49:00 am »

Hmmm I just embarked on the most goblin rich territory ever. Next door to some pits, and 2-3 tiles away from a Dark Fortress containing 1000 goblins. All up something like 20 goblin occupied sites within an 8 tile radius of my embark. I made record time digging in and fortifying. Nearly two years later, not one siege (I think I saw a single thief in the first month or so, but when I checked some time later no goblin civ in the in game civ menu).

I then viewed in Legends again, in the first year of play almost all of the Pits and Fortresses adjacent to me died off. Clicking on the civ that made up the majority of them crashes Legends Viewer. I'm still directly adjacent to a pit with 100 goblins in it but I dont think they are at war with my dwarven civ.

Was there just some unlucky cataclysm or is there a bug?

Anyone else had any luck making war on Goblin (or anything else that regularly fights back?)

Zac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 11:08:12 am »

Anyone else had any luck making war on Goblin (or anything else that regularly fights back?)

Zombies. Tons and tons of zombies. Not so much of goblins, sadly...

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 11:16:01 am »

The goblins an elves must be aligning. The elves are dropping trees on our faces, and the goblins realized that them invading just gave us goblinite. We are doomed.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 11:19:33 am »

I've had three Goblin Ages in a row, with elves not surviving the first ten years of world gen in two of them.

Thats on smaller worlds

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 04:22:23 pm »

I generated a world where both the Dwarves and the Elves are extinct.
Humans occupy no towns or hamlets; they have a dark pits and a forest retreat.
The goblins have no dark fortresses but reside in a couple normal ones, dark pits, and towns/hamlets.
If world generation went on longer than 125 years, I see either an Age of Humans or Age of Goblins, probably.