Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Killer Trees?  (Read 4055 times)

athenalras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Killer Trees?
« on: July 21, 2014, 01:51:56 am »

Not sure if this has already been reported. Things are collapsing on the surface almost all the time. It's already killed 2 dwarves, a merchant, and a couple of animals. In addition, the trees seem to demolish my surface buildings at leisure. These trees are more deadly than goblins methinks.

Now I'm not sure if its actually falling tree branches or something but I'm pretty sure these occurrences are objects falling from trees. If this is, in fact, an issue, has Toady addressed this? I'd like to know if I have to turn off physics when I play from now on because trees keep hurting every living creature that is not a tree.

Or maybe this is one of Toady's new factions in progress: the passive-aggressive paraplegic ents.

athenalras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Killer Trees?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 01:53:40 am »

I forgot to mention, this is 0.40.04 of Dwarf Fortress that I'm playing. I have no clue whether people are experience similar issues in earlier 0.40.xx versions.

athenalras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 02:00:51 am »

Ah, a short anecdote from my game:

Elves came to trade. They had suck-y goods. I bought some cranberries. Elves left. Things collapse on the surface. 1 elf is dead. A great horned owl was crushed. Okay.

Fast forward a few months. I'm building a 3 story building. There's a tall "scaffolding" on the side. Things collapse on the surface. Destroys half of my building and the scaffolding which had a dwarf on it. Dwarf suffers broken legs.

Next month (or sometime later), things collapse again. Dwarf fishing got knocked into lake. Attacked by a pack of crocodiles. Dies.

I forgot to mention, some of the caravan animals became 'stark raving mad' after being struck. And the merchants either become incapacitated or berserk.

And I just checked, there's an elf merchant and his yak stuck up my tree all mad. They aren't getting down.

Dwarf who suffered broken legs died in the hospital from dehydration. Lol, noob mistake there. But I'm still blaming the trees for causing this to happen.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 02:05:35 am by athenalras »

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 02:05:38 am »

Trees are all sorts of gory fun. Respect their ferocity or die.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 02:18:48 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Starwing

• Bay Watcher
  • It is terrifying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 04:15:27 am »

Its the work of Armok. You should be grateful.

Don't believe me?

Check this screenshot of my adventurer who walked into forest retreat where tree suddenly collapsed because Armok hates these tree hugging hippies (Hint: check log).

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 09:47:36 am »

Why do you think the elves try to get you to stop chopping trees?  They don't want to make them mad.  They don't love the trees, they are terrified of them.  The trees!!!!!!

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 09:52:31 am »

there's an elf merchant and his yak stuck up my tree all mad. They aren't getting down.
Sigged

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 10:04:32 am »

This won my interwebs today.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

athenalras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 03:12:41 pm »

Also, if Toady reads this, please take note that trees are growing too fast now in 0.40.04.

It's like a bad horror movie. I cut one tree down, 3 more spring up in its place. Not only that, they're crushing and engulfing most of my outdoor structures like a post-apocalyptic scene. They're growing WAY too fast.

Xazo-Tak

• Bay Watcher
  • *Camping forever*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 12:02:36 am »

Also, if Toady reads this, please take note that trees are growing too fast now in 0.40.04.

It's like a bad horror movie. I cut one tree down, 3 more spring up in its place. Not only that, they're crushing and engulfing most of my outdoor structures like a post-apocalyptic scene. They're growing WAY too fast.
I like that description.
Decrease the default, have a variable in advanced worldgen.
How to have recursive Fun:
Have Fun
Reclaim fort
Destroy your main graveyard with a cave-in

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 12:20:19 am »

I noticed trees doing this the other night. I couldn't find a bug report about it on the tracker, so I made one. I also made one for cutting trees down causing nearby constructed floors to cease to exist.

With that said, I happened to have a tree grow right near my wagon as my thirsty dwarves were gathering near the pack animals. About seven combat reports, mostly consisting of logs being deflected by clothing, followed by a horse up a tree. I'm pretty sure this isn't what they signed up for.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 10:48:56 am »

It's the elves finally taking their revenge on us for chopping down all those trees.  Their weapons and armor are worthless, so they just convinced all the trees to commit suicide and take out as many dwarves as possible  :P.

On a serious note, does this happen completely at random, or just when you dig up the roots?  I haven't tried 40.04 yet, but in 40.03 trees would collapse if you dug up the roots on the Z level below.  If this is the case, you might be able to avoid treemurder by chopping down the trees before mining underneath them.

Either that, or just dedicate your fort to chopping down all trees, all the time.  Kill all the trees.  And the elves.  Elves make the trees grow faster.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 10:59:55 am »

The problem is that this happens when the trees grow from saplings, at least in my experience. Saplings explode in a burst of logs, leaving behind a tree.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 06:07:15 pm »

I've had trees collapse on their own in dwarf mode. With no one around.
Pages: [1] 2