Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress Vs Adventure mode Quasi-Multi-player Succession Game  (Read 1201 times)

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello I've been lurking on these forums a while and with the new version it seems like Multiplayer dwarf fortress is sort of possible atm. I've been trying to do some Science on the mechanics or retired forts and adventurers and it SEEMS like there is a semi functioning way to do a form of multiplayer.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Science so far:

I only have done tests with very basic hole in the wall fortresses so far. Hopefully someone else here is interested in this sort of thing and we can get a world set up :)

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Vs Adventure mode Quasi-Multi-player Succession Game
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 11:57:07 pm »

Tested Goblins vs Dwarf fortress in adjacent map tiles.

Goblin civilization didn't have anvil at embark due to no access to iron (my guess). Started a fort anyways with copper bars/picks/axes.

Retired Goblin Fortress

Started Dwarf Fortress next door, made sure to bring the Goblins an anvil :) and retired the fortress.

Started a Goblin peasant adventurer from the retired Goblin Fortress went to Dwarf Fortress killed 6 dwarves and thier horses (couldn't find last one), stole that anvil and dropped it off in the next door goblin fortress before retiring the peasant there.

Unretired the Goblin fortress and built forge :)

Bonus: The peasant Goblin adventurer was part of my group, unit list and everything, it ALREADY WORKS in vanilla

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 12:04:12 am »

goblin gameplay can be pretty lame without some modding though, you can't have military positions without modding in militia commander/captains or equivalent (but that's easy enough)  I like the idea but wouldn't there need to be a civ for every player?  or are you proposing we take turns playing two opposing civs
edit - man this would be an easily solved problem if we could start our own civ
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 12:11:43 am »

hey I just realised we could all be the SAME civ, nothing stops us from attacking forts of the same civ as adventurers.  Have a civil war :D
edit - maybe we all found one fort each and play until only one fort remains standing?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 12:15:36 am by neblime »
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 12:37:45 am »

goblin gameplay can be pretty lame without some modding though, you can't have military positions without modding in militia commander/captains or equivalent (but that's easy enough)  I like the idea but wouldn't there need to be a civ for every player?  or are you proposing we take turns playing two opposing civs
edit - man this would be an easily solved problem if we could start our own civ

No reason not to mod, I wanted to make the elves lay wood log eggs so you could play elves cant cut trees. I kept trying the goblin commanders, wasn't able to get it working so far. I have been working on an Octorok Creature that has colored castes made out of various ores that dropped on death/via eggs and could equip up to 8 weapons :).

Taking turns with the opposing civs was my original plan. You can make little trained warrior forts to give yourself soldiers to recruit for attacks on the enemy. I am not sure if its better to have to leave the invaders in the other persons fort or if you can just go in vs AI.

hey I just realised we could all be the SAME civ, nothing stops us from attacking forts of the same civ as adventurers.  Have a civil war :D
edit - maybe we all found one fort each and play until only one fort remains standing?

That is also a pretty cool idea, you can compete for migrants, fall to a megabeast and be pilfered by your neighbor on his turn :)

You can reclaim other races sites as well as long as they are abandoned. I havn't been able to kill off a player made site yet (they keep escaping somehow :( ).

If it forces them to abandon thier site or its in the rules that they have too, then whoever killed them can reclaim it with thier entity. This would make it so people could conquer land on the map, eventually wiping people out.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 12:44:44 am »

hehe that elf egg thing sounds hilarious

I was thinking more we just have a set amount of time to establish all our individual forts then take turns playing adventures only, so it's one fort and if it falls you're out.  Having little recruitment centres or outposts sounds fun too... I might start a separate thread for last fort standing if you dont mind

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 12:54:54 am »

hehe that elf egg thing sounds hilarious

Like reverse Soylent Lumber Co. elves ARE trees and are coming for you for killing their people.

I was thinking more we just have a set amount of time to establish all our individual forts then take turns playing adventures only, so it's one fort and if it falls you're out.  Having little recruitment centres or outposts sounds fun too... I might start a separate thread for last fort standing if you dont mind

They both sound good to me. I was thinking for the recruitment centers we would have to build them within a certain map tile range of our own cites.

I was also thinking we could play with lives. You could have like 10 lives or some other number and they were each worth a month in fortress time or a season or whatever you wanted to do. Then you could recover from losses, train your adventurer in your danger room.Super cool

If you want to start one where we just get to start up our 'One City State Challenge' and you are ok with a year or 2 to build defenses, feel free to
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 12:59:06 am by YAHG »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 01:00:12 am »

ok well to be honest i might wait for one or two more releases just to be sure...
I didn't mean ditch this thread, I just think there are two different ideas here, keep this one and have different civs competing and building new sites etc

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 01:16:34 am »

Ptw
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 04:40:28 am »

Ptw

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140983.0

^^
For those of you interesting in participating in !!SCIENCE!! a heroic Goblin Thief is needed  :-X