Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's the largest 2014 Zombie seige you have seen?  (Read 1331 times)

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's the largest 2014 Zombie seige you have seen?
« on: July 20, 2014, 08:52:59 pm »

I haven't had enough undead attacks to know for sure, but it seems that zombie sieges are considerably smaller in this version of the game. I'm curious if it's just been dumb luck or not so I would love to hear from people who have had undead sieges. How large have they been?

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's the largest 2014 Zombie seige you have seen?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 09:14:47 pm »

I got attacked once on a world that spammed towers. My fortress crumbled to it's end after 35+ zombies ate my population of 28 dorfs :B

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 11:30:35 pm »

I think so too, I got upwards of 150 undead in 34.11 but now it almost never tops 50. That's still plenty to handle anything I can throw at them, but there are definitely less. I've been embarking near towers on purpose to find some defense against the restless dead since they've got such a buff.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 01:37:43 am »

somethings up with towers i think - there are a lot more of them generally..
but anyway, I think invasions work somewhat differently now.  A small force of goblins/zombies/elves/whatever you're at war with generally seems to show up quite early now but i haven't played a fort long enough to see if anything larger shows up later.  Maybe as the years go on we get even bigger sieges than before?
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 07:50:46 am »

That would also depend on what's happening in the outside world. If that Goblin civ is getting crushed, you'll see fewer of them come at you.

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 08:14:13 am »

I've been embarking near towers on purpose to find some defense against the restless dead since they've got such a buff.

What type of buff did they get?  I must have missed it somewhere in the release notes.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 09:12:24 am »

I've been embarking near towers on purpose to find some defense against the restless dead since they've got such a buff.

What type of buff did they get?  I must have missed it somewhere in the release notes.

They don't have hit points anymore so you need to pulp or remove multiple major body parts to put one down. Also, they do not suffer from any of the new combat inhibiting effects of terror. The undead must be respected in DF 2014 or you will find you have a load of dead dwarfs on your hands. A single giant zombie animal can be a fortress ending threat if you don't deal with it carefully. Regular run of the mill zombies will shred neophyte melee dwarves in a one on one fight, even a well equipped one. You should only ever send out weapon lords to do deal with the undead and even then you should make sure they are not outnumbered and that they have crossbow support.

Undead have however been nerfed in some other areas. Pulping prevents endless reanimation spirals and zombies are no longer fire and magma proof.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 09:18:42 am »

The largest buff is the discipline problem. Semi-realistically, zombies are now horrifying to behold and many dwarves will simply break ranks and run.

I guess I'll make a killing field and pulp them from a distance with the thousands of bone bolts I invariably produce?
Upright spikes filled with saw blades might also help.

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 12:54:34 pm »

They don't have hit points anymore so you need to pulp or remove multiple major body parts to put one down. Also, they do not suffer from any of the new combat inhibiting effects of terror. The undead must be respected in DF 2014 or you will find you have a load of dead dwarfs on your hands. A single giant zombie animal can be a fortress ending threat if you don't deal with it carefully. Regular run of the mill zombies will shred neophyte melee dwarves in a one on one fight, even a well equipped one. You should only ever send out weapon lords to do deal with the undead and even then you should make sure they are not outnumbered and that they have crossbow support.

Undead have however been nerfed in some other areas. Pulping prevents endless reanimation spirals and zombies are no longer fire and magma proof.

I'm confused though, where is that in the release notes?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 02:22:40 pm »

Not all new features are announced in the release notes.  There are always surprises.  This is why we have to re-test everything, and share our observations.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 04:47:54 pm »

Not very much (about 12 is the highest I've seen), but I remember one world where zombies would spring up around the second season. Every. Single. Time.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 05:17:11 pm »

Since DF 2014 began... 3 zombies. 2 bowman - 1 elf, 1 human, and a human crossbowman. They screwed migrants and the caravan for over a year due to having only 7 dwarfs and a lack of metal industry.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 05:48:06 pm »

The largest buff is the discipline problem. Semi-realistically, zombies are now horrifying to behold and many dwarves will simply break ranks and run.

I guess I'll make a killing field and pulp them from a distance with the thousands of bone bolts I invariably produce?
Upright spikes filled with saw blades might also help.

You'll do better using blunt weaponry. Fill those traps with hammers and maces, because pulping works better than cutting. People have beheaded zombies and been attacked by the remaining headless corpses . . .