Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Collapse on surface breached fort??  (Read 2356 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Collapse on surface breached fort??
« on: July 20, 2014, 06:07:38 pm »

So... I just had a "something collapsed on the surface"... presumably a tree branch.  It threw a huge dust cloud and penetrated THREE FLOORS DEEP into my fort, killing one dwarf and stunning a bunch of craftsmen in the production area on -3Z.

Is this supposed to work like this?

I have the save if it's a bug, and yes it's Vanilla except for Phoebus.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: Collapse on surface breached fort??
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 06:44:35 pm »

ouch.
If the falling logs hit constructed floors with no walls or unmined rock/soil below them I think they smash the floor and just keep going.
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 06:46:22 pm »

This was undug dirt, but same behavior.

Silly thing is, the zone I am in is supposedly "scarce" trees and vegetation... its a red sand desert.  Since switching to 40.04, the trees pop ridiculously fast and it now looks like a jungle.  I have to clearcut the fort every five-six minutes of playtime to make sure no "dangerous" trees are above my food growing zone.  Also, I have fungal trees growing through the topsoil into the daylight.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 06:48:27 pm »

smashing through undug dirt you say?  Try a constructed wood floor see if it does the same (I would do it but i cant dl .04 right now) then if that works try it on rock!  :D
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 06:57:12 pm »

Only in DF would trees drop grenades instead of branches  :D

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 08:59:59 pm »

Falling tree branches use standard cave in physics. The frequency with which the trees are growing in a desert biome does however sound like a bug. I'm not sure about the mushrooms growing through the dirt layer above them. It sounds plausible either way, as a bug or a feature.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 09:48:55 pm »

Silly thing is, the zone I am in is supposedly "scarce" trees and vegetation... its a red sand desert.  Since switching to 40.04, the trees pop ridiculously fast and it now looks like a jungle.  I have to clearcut the fort every five-six minutes of playtime to make sure no "dangerous" trees are above my food growing zone.  Also, I have fungal trees growing through the topsoil into the daylight.

Ahhah! I knew it! DF 2014 Reign of Trees!
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Verjigorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 01:27:41 am »

Oh god, it's terrible.   It's like a damned JDAM, "something has collapsed on the surface" and then BOOM!   Someone's dead and your dwarves are picking themselves up, I imagine kind of a slow motion, soundless dazed way like in Saving Private Ryan.

ELVES!   They are aligned with the damned trees!  We must dig deeper!

Nasty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 06:46:24 am »

Oh god, it's terrible.   It's like a damned JDAM, "something has collapsed on the surface" and then BOOM!   Someone's dead and your dwarves are picking themselves up, I imagine kind of a slow motion, soundless dazed way like in Saving Private Ryan.

ELVES!   They are aligned with the damned trees!  We must dig deeper!

I lol'd

Gonna be hard not to imagine I'm not roleplaying Gaza atm.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 10:00:43 am »

The only solution to the surface problem is to clearcut every week or so to make damn sure no tall trees get the chance to drop limbs.

The problem of the cavern growth, though... that's just lethal.  Every dirt layer is overrun with mushrooms, and they grow through undug dirt/stone/floors/everything.  When they emerge on the surface, once you cut them down they leave cap-shaped holes in the ceiling.  This a) exposes your fort to enemies, and b) ruins the tiles below it for underground farming, since they are now "sunlit".

If this doesn't get fixed soon, I think the solution is going to be move to a place where there are either no dirt layers (glacier) or a deep stone band between the surface and the 1st cavern.  PITA factor = immense.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 10:52:36 am »

To avoid the cave ins dig at least two layers deep before building. As for the shroom problem, that's a bit more complicated. You will need to pave your floors and pick a deep embark area where your caverns aren't right under the surface.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 11:09:03 am »

Only in DF would trees drop grenades instead of branches  :D

This is the combat log of a tree collapsing on my llama:

http://puu.sh/akVQG/a5eae3d3d7.png

(reported on mantis)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 12:10:38 pm »

Boiling... magma.

MAGMA?!?

How fast do these branches FALL, anyway??

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 12:55:22 pm »

Boiling... magma.

MAGMA?!?

That's nothing new.  Cave-ins have always (well... farther back than 0.40 anyway) produced a message containing the words "boiling magma".  It's not actually magma.  It's just a big cloud of dust.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 01:25:54 pm »

Boiling... magma.

MAGMA?!?

That's nothing new.  Cave-ins have always (well... farther back than 0.40 anyway) produced a message containing the words "boiling magma".  It's not actually magma.  It's just a big cloud of dust.
The name for any stone's gas is "boiling magma" though it might have been more intuitive if the game used the SOLID_POWDER name instead (setting that to "dust" in the stone template).
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: [1] 2