Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Orphans can survive now, and recovering some FPS  (Read 1653 times)

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Orphans can survive now, and recovering some FPS
« on: July 20, 2014, 12:58:14 pm »

So, I didn't see anything on this with a brief search, but two things I've noticed in playing 40.03 that I wanted to share.

First, orphans can survive from baby to childhood now (I can see the look of horror on some your faces already)! I had a baby that arrived in her mother's arms as a migrant. Said mother promptly climbed a tree, fell out of that tree, and ended up in a pond, where she drowned. Somehow the baby managed to survive this (I wasn't paying close attention at the time, I arrived on the scene after she drowned and the baby was crawling around outside). This baby, Etur by name, had a father who arrived too, but let's face it; mother dwarves do all the work, and fathers none.

The baby crawled eventually into the fortress and there wandered its halls for about a year. During that time, food and water was brought to Etur regularly by, mostly, my Chief Medical dwarf (so chosen for his compassion and desire to help others). Eventually, little Etur grew to a child, and is now capable of feeding and drinking on her own. Good to see the various game mechanics involved in that scenario appear to be working well!

Second, after about two years in, my fort started to see some real FPS drops. Like, 12 and 13 FPS moments. Primarily this is because I genned it on a max size world that was 150 years old. No biggy, Toady has mentioned he has calendar optimizations to do. But, as an experiment, I retired the fort, then reclaimed it. Once reclaimed, I noticed a definite average improvement in my FPS; back to a 60 and 70 FPS average in the roughly one week of game time that I played it after reclaiming. Definitely something to keep in mind.

However, as a side note, I don't recommend doing the retire/unretire when there are merchants on your map. All the merchants and their livestock were friendly upon reclaim, but four caravan guards remained as well when I reclaimed, and all four of them were marked as hostile in the unit screen.

So, there you have it. A couple more tidbits of info about the new version.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 01:23:39 pm by Walkaboutout »

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
Re: Orphans can survive now, and recovering some FPS
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 01:39:20 pm »

I can't fully confirm, but I think medical jobs are perfomrd a little better now. I built a hospital and assigned a buch of doctors to it, and they actually attended an injured dwarf who didn't die waiting.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 02:04:12 pm »

I've noticed the medical thing too. Lifesaver, really. (no pun intended.)   (...okay, pun intended.)
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 02:05:03 pm »

I saw that baby stuff happen with an injured baby. Never in the 2012 version would an injured orphan have had a chance.

I got the opposite effect from retiring. Huge fps drop after retiring, unplayable.

And klefenz doctors worked pretty well I think. There was an occasional not feeding and giving water bug but otherwise mine did pretty well. The overstocking the hospital bug when it has a chest is still there though

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 02:09:03 pm »

However, as a side note, I don't recommend doing the retire/unretire when there are merchants on your map. All the merchants and their livestock were friendly upon reclaim, but four caravan guards remained as well when I reclaimed, and all four of them were marked as hostile in the unit screen.
This should go to the bug tracker.
._.

stinkasectomy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 02:30:10 am »

yeah, medical tasks are assigned more frequently now. have have had my chief medical dwarf give water to an entirely uninquired dabbling mason who was making rock blocks. said mason was thirsty and while i didnt check, im guessing he was diligent or the like. so said mason got a happy thought from getting water, and medical dwarf got a unhappy for having to give water.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 03:40:16 am »

I assume your medical dwarf is called 'House' ?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 04:36:03 am »

I assume your medical dwarf is called 'Zoden' ?

FTFY

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 06:02:19 am »

yeah, medical tasks are assigned more frequently now. have have had my chief medical dwarf give water to an entirely uninquired dabbling mason who was making rock blocks. said mason was thirsty and while i didnt check, im guessing he was diligent or the like. so said mason got a happy thought from getting water, and medical dwarf got a unhappy for having to give water.

Why would you make your doctor someone who doesn't like to help others?

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 07:59:55 am »

Why would you make your doctor someone who doesn't like to help others?

TO MAKE THEM SUFFER!
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 09:25:07 am »

TO MAKE THEM SUFFER!
But if they are in your hospital without medical attendance they will likely just die of dehydration, meaning their long future of suffering is cut short. It's a net loss in potential suffering.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 09:56:36 am »

TO MAKE THEM SUFFER!
But if they are in your hospital without medical attendance they will likely just die of dehydration, meaning their long future of suffering is cut short. It's a net loss in potential suffering.

If we're optimizing suffering here, many dwarves will probably die swift deaths such as being having their heads fractures or having their upper body severed. Compared to these, the long, drawn out misery of death via thirst is probably ranks pretty high among death-related suffering.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 10:33:02 am »

If we're optimizing suffering here, many dwarves will probably die swift deaths such as being having their heads fractures or having their upper body severed. Compared to these, the long, drawn out misery of death via thirst is probably ranks pretty high among death-related suffering.
Oh please, they'd find the latter death more pleasing because they died sitting on a finely constructed traction bench. Going through every day walking down miasma, talking to a grudge, finding out your pet is dead and your favourite sock has worn itself to pieces on your feet; that is suffering worse enough to make you go berserk.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 11:14:45 am by Loud Whispers »

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 11:11:19 am »

Dwarf Fortress: Suffering Optimization Engine
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 12:29:33 pm »

I have seen many babies abandoned even though their parents are still alive.  I actually saw one abandoned almost immediately after the immigrant entered the map, he crawled all the way to my fort.  And sat outside in the sand being brought water which froze when it went outside.

A burrow sorted him out, he slowly crawled inside.

Note this affects born and immigrant babies.
Pages: [1] 2