Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Vampires are worth a little cheating I think!  (Read 3633 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Vampires are worth a little cheating I think!
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 10:53:29 pm »

Is there a quicker, non-cheat way identify them once you find a victim with no witnesses?
Create a passageway with a lever at the end, and view of a zombie in the middle. A Dwarf that can reach the end and pull the lever is either blind or a vampire. That worked in 31.25, I haven't tested it in 40.x

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 11:22:57 pm »

Here I was hoping this would be a thread about a new way to cheat to easily get a vampire!

In .34.x you could savescum a migrant wave to get one as long as there's one in your civ. That might not work in the latest version if migrants travel on the map the way armies do.

I'm sure there are some dfhack shennanigans that would work as well.

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 11:38:00 pm »

Here I was hoping this would be a thread about a new way to cheat to easily get a vampire!

In .34.x you could savescum a migrant wave to get one as long as there's one in your civ. That might not work in the latest version if migrants travel on the map the way armies do.

I'm sure there are some dfhack shennanigans that would work as well.

I've been gen'ing and re-gen'ing worlds, and haven't even been able to get a civ with one. Plenty of human and goblin vampires, not one dwarf. It's like my computer knows what it's doing.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2014, 01:43:57 am »

I would love to see toady fix the "claims to be married but has no spouse in the fortress" issue.

Who says two vampires cant get married? Even better if they keep each other's secrets.

Throw in some vampire toddlers, and you have the makings of some real fortress fun.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2014, 04:40:21 am »

I let my vampires have free reign. I once had 3 in the same fort. Migrants were just lunch for them. Had all 3 in a military squad that wrecked copious face.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 06:23:34 am »

Did anyone ever succeed in modding dwarf blood to count as alcohol, so the vampire does not eventually slow down to a crawl, from alcohol deprivation?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2014, 07:59:01 am »

I would love to see toady fix the "claims to be married but has no spouse in the fortress" issue.

Who says two vampires cant get married? Even better if they keep each other's secrets.

Throw in some vampire toddlers, and you have the makings of some real fortress fun.

Are you sure that's not possible? I think it's just unlikely. They get married before they become vampires. In my case the vampire's spouse was a real histfig who died a hundred years ago. I only know that by cheating with legends mode though.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2014, 08:04:01 am »

Did anyone ever succeed in modding dwarf blood to count as alcohol, so the vampire does not eventually slow down to a crawl, from alcohol deprivation?
Theres a mod out there that makes dwarf blood to reset the thirst counter.  Thats most likely inclusive enough for any fort you have, and by also adding the syndrome to all of the civilized blood you can make it work in adventures too.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2014, 08:44:28 am »

Rather than just lock them in a small room you could lock them in an office and make them bookkeeper/manager. I've even just had the idea to give them a pickaxe and have them make their own mini fort and train up skills like mason and weaponsmith to get an immortal legendary craftsman or something.

That's an idea. Just have the fort revolve around them. Migrants are just food.
I had meant that you could still lock them in a small room, but instead you could give them a package so they can mine stuff then later you could drop in an anvil for a forge and have them train up a bunch of skills. All the while you would still be running a normal fort and you would just need to be careful not to unleash the vampire. Maybe even drop in useless dwarves or animals that somehow fell asleep.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 08:46:44 am by vjmdhzgr »
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2014, 12:34:18 pm »

Identifying them is easy once you are looking at their thoughts and relationships, but once you have 50 dwarves, that's like a whole evening of searching profiles. Is there a quicker, non-cheat way identify them once you find a victim with no witnesses?
Uh, why has nobody mentioned the justice system at all so far? The official way of identifying vampires is to have a sheriff take witness reports. The justice screen will list all the reports and then it's up to you to disregard the false reports and find the truth. What you do after you've found your suspect vampire is up to you and this thread has talked plenty about that.

Getting lots of witness reports is relatively easy: have everyone sleep in one big room with no walls to obstruct vision. For more witness chances, make that room function as a meeting/dining hall too. Who wants privacy when a vampire is around?

They did that I think. Or actually, they made dwarf blood induce the need to drink. In rawspeak, the dwarf blood syndrome removes the [NODRINK] tag.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2014, 12:50:14 pm »

Rather than just lock them in a small room you could lock them in an office and make them bookkeeper/manager. I've even just had the idea to give them a pickaxe and have them make their own mini fort and train up skills like mason and weaponsmith to get an immortal legendary craftsman or something.

That's an idea. Just have the fort revolve around them. Migrants are just food.
I had meant that you could still lock them in a small room, but instead you could give them a package so they can mine stuff then later you could drop in an anvil for a forge and have them train up a bunch of skills. All the while you would still be running a normal fort and you would just need to be careful not to unleash the vampire. Maybe even drop in useless dwarves or animals that somehow fell asleep.

You don't need to lock them in, a warren works just as well. Then other dwarves can fetch them stuff and re-fill their stockpiles.
 Just don't put any free beds in the warren and no worries

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2014, 02:45:27 pm »

Uh, why has nobody mentioned the justice system at all so far?

Because it's unreliable, and causes innocent dwarves to be killed.  Many of us (perhaps even most of us) never appoint a sheriff at all.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2014, 04:44:26 pm »

my favourite way of dealing with vampires is this:

0) Vampires can be trivially identified by assembling everyone in a room and filling the room with water. Either use timing to release the water before anyone actually drowns (i.e. a hatch/retracting bridge type setup which lets the water in through a hatch, and out through a bridge, with both linked to the same trigger) or savescum.

1) Convict your vampire of a crime, presumably the one(s) he actually performed but ya know it doesn't matter.
2) Chain up the vampire at the entrance. (meaning, create a chain set to jail at the entrance)
3) Build a bed next to the vampire and assign it to a worthless immigrant or child.
4) After the vampire drinks the victim, convict him of the new crime, thus extending his sentence.

You might want to use a very valuable chain/rope to keep the vampire happy (caravans normally sell expensive ropes). You can have him as a melee dwarf, marksdwarf or civilian.

Your vampire on a chain will keep out any attempted intruders, and all it costs is a few immigrants or children.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2014, 04:58:07 pm »

my favourite way of dealing with vampires is this:

0) Vampires can be trivially identified by assembling everyone in a room and filling the room with water. Either use timing to release the water before anyone actually drowns (i.e. a hatch/retracting bridge type setup which lets the water in through a hatch, and out through a bridge, with both linked to the same trigger) or savescum.

1) Convict your vampire of a crime, presumably the one(s) he actually performed but ya know it doesn't matter.
2) Chain up the vampire at the entrance. (meaning, create a chain set to jail at the entrance)
3) Build a bed next to the vampire and assign it to a worthless immigrant or child.
4) After the vampire drinks the victim, convict him of the new crime, thus extending his sentence.

You might want to use a very valuable chain/rope to keep the vampire happy (caravans normally sell expensive ropes). You can have him as a melee dwarf, marksdwarf or civilian.

Your vampire on a chain will keep out any attempted intruders, and all it costs is a few immigrants or children.
Will he fire on invaders while chained?  That is an interesting idea, using an eternal xbow squad chained up . . .

While I am here, if you get a vamp/werebeast assigned to a cage as a punishment, can you rig it to release then at a moment's notice?  How does the guard react?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2014, 06:00:44 pm »

Because it's unreliable, and causes innocent dwarves to be killed.

That sounds like Hippy elven logic to me. In my fortress it's guilty until your corpse proves your innocence!

...Unless you're one of my favourites, like a good armourer or one of the original seven, in which case you're innocent of everything, no matter what any evidence says.

That said though, I actually haven't had much problems with vampires. Perhaps it's just been a lucky string of fortresses, but I've never even noticed one causing trouble, to the point I sometimes forget they're in the game. I think the most problem I had was a few useless dwarves would go missing sometimes, and I'd forget about them until a ghost popped up and started making the other, more important dwarves, upset. By eviscerating the lesser peasants in front of them. I just solved it by making more elaborate catacombs.

...Is it wrong that most of the building that goes on in my fortresses is either A) building monuments and dining halls for the enjoyment of the original seven + interesting legendaries who pop up along the way, or B) building anonymous catacombs for the many, many workers who die in the construction of these monuments and dining halls?
I'm Mr. Cellophane
Pages: 1 [2] 3