Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Vampires are worth a little cheating I think!  (Read 3641 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vampires are worth a little cheating I think!
« on: July 19, 2014, 07:10:12 pm »

Wow, so I found a vampire in my fort after someone was drained. I didn't have any way of killing him because it was a bit early in my forts development. So, I locked him up outside and then forgot about him. When his sentence ended, I guess he was hungry because he went on a rampage and killed 3 people in short succession. Then, everyone else killed everyone else.

Basically if you are playing a fort you care about, and a vampire shows himself, you had better make a backup and check legends to find out who it is, because they will bring you down otherwise. Trying to memorialize 30 dwarves when you have 4 coffins in stock is more like work than fun, but I guess that's what fun is all about.

It's unfortunate that a discovered vampire isn't recognized as an enemy of the fort. That would be better.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 07:12:28 pm by cephalo »
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Mitcha47

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Vampires are worth a little cheating I think!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 07:22:38 pm »

But, like you said its all a part of fun. Back in .34 I had dwarves running around and screaming and getting slammed into walls! I even used DFHack, the one in two times I ever use it, and was searching for vampires and werewolves and such. I got nothing, so I continue on my way.

In the end, weredwarf transformed, bit a military dwarf of mine, turned him into a weredwarf, and then 4 mounted goblin ambushes all at once.

So yeah, fun happens.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 07:26:12 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 07:36:11 pm »

Like everything else, it's all about the proper infrastructure. :) Good tips! I haven't played in a while. This was my first vampire...

My latest forts:

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 07:40:30 pm »

Basically if you are playing a fort you care about, and a vampire shows himself, you had better make a backup and check legends to find out who it is, because they will bring you down otherwise.

Once identified, it's super easy to deal with the vampire, because they meekly follow orders just like any civilian.  Install a lever in his bedroom, profile it so only he can pull it, and order him to pull it (on repeat).  Then lock the door behind him, or wall him up.  Permanent fix (unless Toady implements enemy digging).

Identifying them is a bit harder.  You can get clues from their thoughts & preferences screen, and their relationships screen.  A vampire will claim to be married, but their spouse will not be in the fortress.  They will often be a former member of a huge number of civilizations.  They won't eat, drink or sleep, so they won't have thoughts related to those things.  Since they don't consume alcohol, but are still dependent on it, they'll eventually get the "needs alcohol and hasn't had a drink for far too long" thought.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 08:48:08 pm »

Basically if you are playing a fort you care about, and a vampire shows himself, you had better make a backup and check legends to find out who it is, because they will bring you down otherwise.

Once identified, it's super easy to deal with the vampire, because they meekly follow orders just like any civilian.  Install a lever in his bedroom, profile it so only he can pull it, and order him to pull it (on repeat).  Then lock the door behind him, or wall him up.  Permanent fix (unless Toady implements enemy digging).
Disappointed this did not involve magma.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 08:52:38 pm »

I had a vampire in 0.40.01 that refused to follow military orders, and refused to perform a profiled lever pulling job. He spent the time wandering the edges of the map instead. Finally, after going "on break" for another snack he decided to pull the lever. I dumped him in the caverns, where he again decided to path to the map edge.

Identifying them is a bit harder.  You can get clues from their thoughts & preferences screen, and their relationships screen.  A vampire will claim to be married, but their spouse will not be in the fortress.  They will often be a former member of a huge number of civilizations.  They won't eat, drink or sleep, so they won't have thoughts related to those things.  Since they don't consume alcohol, but are still dependent on it, they'll eventually get the "needs alcohol and hasn't had a drink for far too long" thought.
If you let your dwarves choose their own bedrooms, just open the bedroom assignment menu and your vampire (and active hunters) will appear in green because they haven't selected a room.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 08:53:51 pm »

Vampires are useful. I like training them to legendary pump operater so they glow red so that I immediately recognize them if they turn up in future forts.. Then I lock them in a 1x1 room. And then wall them up. Unless they get murdered by a ghost, your fort is immortal.

If you're not feeling immortal enough, get web on a cage trap and get the vampire caged. Put the cage in a 1x1 room and wall it off. Ghosts can't go in cages. Congratulations. You just failed to lose. Until you get bored.

Still, a way to survive the death of everyone in the fort until the next migrant wave is sometimes handy.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 08:58:14 pm »

Just put him in a squad, station him on a bridge on a chimney into the magma sea and watch him fall. There's no need to cheat for vampires of all things.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 09:19:46 pm »

Identifying them is easy once you are looking at their thoughts and relationships, but once you have 50 dwarves, that's like a whole evening of searching profiles. Is there a quicker, non-cheat way identify them once you find a victim with no witnesses?

My latest forts:

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 09:23:24 pm »

Rather than just lock them in a small room you could lock them in an office and make them bookkeeper/manager. I've even just had the idea to give them a pickaxe and have them make their own mini fort and train up skills like mason and weaponsmith to get an immortal legendary craftsman or something.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 09:27:08 pm »

Rather than just lock them in a small room you could lock them in an office and make them bookkeeper/manager. I've even just had the idea to give them a pickaxe and have them make their own mini fort and train up skills like mason and weaponsmith to get an immortal legendary craftsman or something.

That's an idea. Just have the fort revolve around them. Migrants are just food.

My latest forts:

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 09:33:31 pm »

Identifying them is easy once you are looking at their thoughts and relationships, but once you have 50 dwarves, that's like a whole evening of searching profiles. Is there a quicker, non-cheat way identify them once you find a victim with no witnesses?
Check your mayor first, then "replace" your broker to look for dwarves with high social skills.

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 10:19:32 pm »

Here I was hoping this would be a thread about a new way to cheat to easily get a vampire!

I always want them but never get them, the last one I got in .34 was a legendary dodger so I couldn't even well him. I haven't had one in 40.x, from the legends in my current world I don't think one even exists after 800 years as the pocket work with the site cap raised to double what it started, looks like it failed to produce even a single temple. But my fort is lovely so I'll stick with it.

Therapist has an option that paints them purple. it's not really cheating if you turn it on when there are no vampires and just forget to turn it off...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:21:14 pm by AMTiger »

shevtsov200

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 10:48:42 pm »

Trying to memorialize 30 dwarves when you have 4 coffins in stock is more like work than fun, but I guess that's what fun is all about.
Graveyard is second thing I create after mason workshop. I think you should do that too.
Pages: [1] 2 3