Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mercenary Commander - Brainstorming  (Read 906 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Mercenary Commander - Brainstorming
« on: July 19, 2014, 04:46:52 pm »

Mercenary Commander

The United Nations of Earth, in an effort to instil peace for mankind, has decreed every single military disbanded. And amazingly, they all did. Unfortunately however, this put millions of soldiers out of work, and thousands of pieces of military hardware into warehouses. Also unfortunately, the nations of Earth still wanted to gain the upper-hand over their neighbours, and without a national military, this became the job of enterprising mercenaries.

And what with all the ex-soldiers and old military gear now lying around, these mercenary groups were everywhere.

That's the premise. Now I've put a bit of thought into it and it's gonna be focusing on mid-small scale ground combat. If you play WH40K, think up to 1000pts of space marines. If you don't, then that'll be about 20-30 guys and a few of vehicles. Or less guys and more vehicles. Or no vehicles and loads of guys. But that sort of size.

It'll be set somewhere just after WWI, and part of the game will also include R&D to try and outdo the other players in the field. I'll be fairly liberal with how fast sciences progress, but don't expect to go from bolt action rifles to 500m tall robots with plasma guns in a hurry.

The various men and woman that get thrown into the line-of-fire will be one of two types. Officers and enlisted. Officers lead your men into battle, be it at the head of squads or when in command of vehicles. They have names, stats and can gain skills and other intersting things. They also find it harder to die. Unfortunately for the enlisted, this is not the case. They are nameless and generally their only defining feature is what they get assigned that mission, be it driving to carrying the squad's heavy weapon. They are cheap, some-what cheerful, and are expected to die regularly.

Finally, every soldier, along with their equipment, vehicles, and other war paraphinalia will have a points value. When a player fields an army, they provide it's points value and they'll be assigned a side such that the two teams are as even as possible. At the end of the battle, officers will gain experience and the player will gain precious moneys to be used to research new equipment or buy/build it, hire new soldiers to replace the inevitable casualties and otherwise improve their force.

The dilemma I currently have is how I want to do turns. I've found that I much prefer to play games where I'm not limited to hexes or squares, and would to run one such as that, but I also know running a game like that on a forum is a pain in the ass. There is however a way to get around this. I like to think I'm a half-decent programmer, so I could write an interface which'll allow each player to input their commands directly, without having to explain it in such a way that I can't accidentally misinterpret. This also means we could include much more exciting things, like initiative orders, complex maths, and fog of war.

So, thoughts, opinions, ideas?

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mercenary Commander - Brainstorming
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 05:04:09 pm »

PTW.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 06:02:08 pm »

I really like the idea, are you sure that theres not an engine that we can just use i.e. VASSAL Engine
sure you'd have to code a module but that much easier than stating from scratch with an engine.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 06:17:34 pm »

HI

I've come to intimidate you.

Behold.

Also this.

And the one below it.

I can make a vehicle classification system too, if you'd like.

Meheheehehehe. >:3

EDIT: oh you're not actually running it yet. I'd say do whatever's easiest; you could always just use logic as to the turns with people saying 'go X meters southwest' and such, but if you wanna do some programming, go ahead. Sounds cool to me.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 06:19:24 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 07:40:58 pm »

@Funk: I'll look into it

@Rolepgeek: Do you want to work in an aspiring company, where your talents will be well suited, with a potential pay of up to $45.52/hour* and free** dental?

*In rare cases. Minimum pay is $0/hour
**When you donate $1.5 million to the company

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 07:52:15 pm »

PTW with interest if it gets started. I don't have any suggestions tho. I have no programming skills at all... like no comprehension.
I WELL know 40k tho, and it's system, and love WW1 era, so... yeah :P

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 08:29:47 pm »

@Rolepgeek: Do you want to work in an aspiring company, where your talents will be well suited, with a potential pay of up to $45.52/hour* and free** dental?

*In rare cases. Minimum pay is $0/hour
**When you donate $1.5 million to the company

Depends.

What would my responsibilities be?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 08:46:36 pm »

Amongst other things*, potentially making that vehicle classification system.

*That may or may not already be decided

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 10:52:23 pm »

Amongst other things*, potentially making that vehicle classification system.

*That may or may not already be decided
I might. It'll be more difficult to do than the others, since vehicles are so varied.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.