Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Where did all the Goblins go?!?!  (Read 2522 times)

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
Where did all the Goblins go?!?!
« on: July 19, 2014, 03:53:23 pm »

As the title states, I am having problems with getting ANY goblin civs. Not the, "oh they died out during world gen" type of no civ: its the fact they never existed in the first place. I was wondering is there a running problem with enough people or I didnt do something right with my world gen figures, since I do advanced world gen.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Where did all the Goblins go?!?!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 04:28:02 pm »

Huh, I've never had this issue. If anything, I've had an issue with there being too many goblins - they swarm the map and seem to absolutely love living in deep dwarf sites (even though they're obviously not supposed to be there).
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 04:43:00 pm »

Does this problem only exist in advanced world gen? In that case, are you preventing the types of regions the goblins start out in?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 04:49:36 pm »

The game will attempt to spawn one civ from each entity in the raws, in the order they appear in the file(s).  When one of each has been placed, it loops back to the beginning and starts again.  There are conflicting accounts of what happens if the world runs out of civ slots part-way through the list, but if you have at least two Dwarf civs then there should have been at least one of each type spawned including Goblins.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 05:48:06 pm »

I have plenty of Dwarven, Elven, and Kobolts but no Goblins. It is infuriating!!! Also, I having the worst luck with birds passing out and falling on my dwarves. Had a miner that got struck and passed out into a pool that I was having him make.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 05:56:24 pm »

Huh, I've never had this issue. If anything, I've had an issue with there being too many goblins - they swarm the map and seem to absolutely love living in deep dwarf sites (even though they're obviously not supposed to be there).
I have this problem. Anything more than 125 years, and at least half the world pop is goblins.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 06:19:07 pm »

I have plenty of Dwarven, Elven, and Kobolts but no Goblins. It is infuriating!!! Also, I having the worst luck with birds passing out and falling on my dwarves. Had a miner that got struck and passed out into a pool that I was having him make.

Geez, you are having bad luck!

There's got to be a simple explanation for your lack of goblins. I've been genning a bunch of worlds and checking the goblin pops, because there used to be an issue with goblins replacing themselves with kidnappings over time and becoming extinct. In every case I've seen on small worlds and above, goblins are the most numerous sentient being. Weird stuff can happen on pocket worlds, what size are you genning?
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 06:40:26 pm »

Large Regions so far.

King of Candy Island.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 07:28:51 pm »

You mentioned that you're using advanced world gen. Have you tried the simpler generation option, to see if you get goblins?
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 08:42:11 pm »

Make sure they have evil biomes for the goblins to colonize.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 09:11:25 am »

There might be a problem with advanced worldgen. I just tried three times with the regular and all of them had goblins in them.

EDIT:

Ok there is a problem with Advanced. It is not sowing the civs even tho I had made it mostly evil biomes.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 05:48:50 pm by SquatchHammer »

King of Candy Island.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 06:31:47 pm »

aren't most civs (I thought goblins were the exception to this though?) unable to start in evil biomes?  Maybe goblins aren't allowed to either?
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 08:40:19 pm »

Either way, just messing with the advanced settings to allow the "optimum" spawning of said Goblin civs and still coming up with nothing is very serious. I cant stand the caverns the way they are in the standard settings so that's the reason behind the need to use the advanced world gen.

So I dont want just to call out a false bug but I am suspecting something is a problem.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 08:43:31 pm by SquatchHammer »

King of Candy Island.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 08:50:32 pm »

The thing is, nobody else is experiencing this problem. Are you sure it isn't generating goblin civilizations to begin with, or are they dying out during worldgen history?

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 09:00:06 pm »

Nope, there are NO goblins in history.

King of Candy Island.
Pages: [1] 2