Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about ORIENTATION tag  (Read 1262 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Question about ORIENTATION tag
« on: July 18, 2014, 07:15:06 pm »

Hiya,

So I just found out about the new ORIENTATION tag, and I was wondering the following:  if I add the tag (and put in non-default values), do I need to generate a new world?  I'm thinking not, since the creature would already be present, but I want to make sure.

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about ORIENTATION tag
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 02:52:07 am »

What does the new tag do?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 03:05:58 am »

What does the new tag do?
in short, it makes people gay
._.

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 05:26:22 am »

So I can have gay dwarves now? does it make all of a species gay or just makes some of them have a chance to be gay?

richeygator

• Bay Watcher
  • amature programer with a god-complex.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 05:36:24 am »

So I can have gay dwarves now? does it make all of a species gay or just makes some of them have a chance to be gay?
it has a few values after it that determines the likelihood of what gender they will be attracted to
values default at 75:20:5
in short its MALE/FEMALE:disinterested chance:lover-possible chance:commitment-possible chance
after a long absence,
the god-complexed noob is back

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 10:39:09 am »

It creates a 3x3 matrix of possible relationships (or lack of any). What Toady says about it:

It's a by-caste tag, so you'd use it twice for each caste if you want to set all the numbers.  <male/female>:<disinterested chance>:<lover-possible chance>:<commitment-possible chance>  It uses the chances to put an individual critter into any of the 9 possible configurations.  Defaults are, if I remember, 75:20:5 for the same gender, and 5:20:75 for the opposite.  That leads to a 3x3 grid, with numbers in it. 

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 11:05:44 am »

It creates a 3x3 matrix of possible relationships (or lack of any). What Toady says about it:

It's a by-caste tag, so you'd use it twice for each caste if you want to set all the numbers.  <male/female>:<disinterested chance>:<lover-possible chance>:<commitment-possible chance>  It uses the chances to put an individual critter into any of the 9 possible configurations.  Defaults are, if I remember, 75:20:5 for the same gender, and 5:20:75 for the opposite.  That leads to a 3x3 grid, with numbers in it. 

So, uhh... Does this mean that 25% of dwarves are now homo-/bisexual, and 5% are completely uninterested in the opposite gender? Or that male dwarf X has a 25% chance to be sexually or emotionally attached to male dwarf Y?  Either way, I'm looking forward to succession games with community-named dwarves & gay dwarves :D
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 01:21:01 pm »

^
Quote from: Wiki
It is believed that this makes 71.2% of dwarves strictly heterosexual, 23.8% bisexual, 3.8% asexual, and 1.2% strictly homosexual.

It is important to remember that a dwarf not being asexual doesn't mean it will eventually marry, relationships can now become stalled at Lovers because one party has no interest in marriage but does in having a relationship.

Somewhat more relevant to the original question.

Short answer: Generate a new world.  If you really really want to keep your current world, there are a few rules:

Virtually all entity changes whatsoever require a new world. Some don't, and some only do when certain conditions are met. It would be impossible to document every case here.
Adding/removing entire objects requires a new world. NOTICE: Changing an object's identifier does both of these.
All changes to tags except those in entity objects do not require a new world. NOTICE: Some, such as biomes, are highly relevant during worldgen and may not entirely have the desired effect.

as well as something Toady posted elsewhere lead me to believe that changing it post-generation should be fine with the caveat that it only applies to dwarfs generated after the change. Ie, if you have a save with the normal default your dwarfs sexuality is already set but should you have any births they should, in theory at least, all use the new values. So if you want to attempt a purely generational fortress (no immigration) it is probably best to set it so that the only possibility is heterosexual marriage.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."