Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Invaders  (Read 1863 times)

bongo0310

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Invaders
« on: July 18, 2014, 01:06:50 pm »

In version 40.03, do Invaders now depend on where you are located? If you kill enough of them, will they stop coming since you're killing off the actual military of that goblin fortress? Or is it still a never ending force?

Aisher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Invaders
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 04:18:28 pm »

Start fort at year 5 get siege in 6. now it's 11 and  still no more invaders :(

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 04:38:21 pm »

I started a fort in year 5 in .34 and didn't get a whole lot of goblin sieges, despite accumulating over 10,000,000 wealth. Only got 2 real sieges and maybe 3 ambushes in 9 years of fort life. Lots of forgotten beast attacks, but not a lot of invaders.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 04:47:47 pm »

I started a fort in year 5 in .34 and didn't get a whole lot of goblin sieges, despite accumulating over 10,000,000 wealth. Only got 2 real sieges and maybe 3 ambushes in 9 years of fort life. Lots of forgotten beast attacks, but not a lot of invaders.

In my last 2012 fort I was sieged by a large force of goblins an average of about 3 times per year. I think even in the last version things like proximity to a goblin site etc. effected sieges.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 11:34:09 pm »

But proximity changes have made it to where they siege by summer 1st year.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

bongo0310

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 11:50:53 pm »

So the farther away you are the more time you have? or no?

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 01:05:47 am »

So the farther away you are the more time you have? or no?

Well yes and no. The farther away from the goblin civ you are yes but there may be an army wandering near you of said goblin civ and siege sooner than you had expected.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Gukag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 06:13:20 am »

Does the game still pop nameless goblins into existence for these sieges and ambushes (except for the leader who would eventually show up)? Or are they all tied to historical figures? Is the stream of gobs now finite?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 06:33:26 am »

Since the world is no longer frozen in time, does that mean populations reproduce?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 10:12:55 am »

Yes. Everything's tied to specific populations that grow and shrink based on what happens in the world, now. It's glorious, isn't it?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 10:22:34 am »

Does the game still pop nameless goblins into existence for these sieges and ambushes (except for the leader who would eventually show up)? Or are they all tied to historical figures? Is the stream of gobs now finite?

Not only are invaders based on historical figures, but most (all?) types of invaders actually come from army-like groups wandering the world now.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 10:25:12 am »

Except I don't know the rates and numbers of population in adventure/historical mode,
and I doubt goblins can sustain the heavy casualties of Fort Mode. Then tend to lose entire squads in the early ambushes, and I think a siege is in the hundred of goblins getting slaughtered.

Now like I said, I don't know what sizes or numbers we're talking about, but in medieval term, an army of 100 mens was a big deal, and your average town had around 300 inhabitants.
So losing two fort sieges meant you had lost like 75% of your operational army in two years...

I must look at the scale of Dwarf Fortress world population, but it's perfectly possible that the infinite goblin legions are now finite, and emptied quicker than expected.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 10:31:28 am »

Of course, since sometimes enemies don't charge your fort, this means sieges actually play out like sieges.
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

bongo0310

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 12:19:38 pm »

Wow this is really interesting. It really is a brand new game now after this update. I can't imagine what is coming in the next update haha.

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 02:28:28 pm »

Your PC could not handle the next update =)
Pages: [1] 2