Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Reclaim Awesomeness in .40.03  (Read 8393 times)

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reclaim Awesomeness in .40.03
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2014, 09:14:31 pm »

In the interest of disabusing wagon-haters of their notion that wagons are unliving, unfeeling beings:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here we see that wagons actually lose hold of items and sustain injuries, when undergoing attacks from nasty savage little dwarvsies (this is a human wagon)

Further evidence that wagons are creatures and are ALIVE, include that they can be memorialised.
WAGONS ARE GODS! THEY ARE THE ONLY MULTITILE CREATURE! ALL HAIL TO WAGONKIND!

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2014, 11:16:15 pm »

"this is a human wagon" ??
Where did you do this? In the arena?

Also, I don't see any evidence here of feeling. Grasping and sustaining damage are things that are done by industrial robots, and they don't have feelings.

If you can get one to cower in fear or pass out from pain or something, then you're talking.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2014, 11:17:07 pm »

"this is a human wagon" ??
Where did you do this? In the arena?

Also, I don't see any evidence here of feeling. Grasping and sustaining damage are things that are done by industrial robots, and they don't have feelings.

If you can get one to cower in fear or pass out from pain or something, then you're talking.
WAGON HATE IS HERESY! BURN THE HERETIC!

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2014, 12:13:54 am »

In ancient times it was possible to cut trees with wooden training axes, no moods necessary.  It was only later as dwarfs advanced and invented metal axes that they lost the ability to cut down trees with wooden training axes.  Thus first wagon->first carpenters shop->first training axe -> deforesting (it was easier in prehistory when the trees wouldn't grow higher than a single urist) -> first war with elves -> invention of pick from elf bones.  The anvil was provided by Armok on the first wagon, its heresy to suggest otherwise.
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2014, 07:07:03 am »

Was that feature removed ? I never used training axes for woodcutting, but still......
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Meneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2014, 07:10:07 am »

Was that feature removed ? I never used training axes for woodcutting, but still......
No, training axes are still viable. The standard embark profile gives you a copper axe, but it's easy (and saves you about 30 points) to replace it with a training axe.

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2014, 07:34:27 am »

No, training axes are still viable. The standard embark profile gives you a copper axe, but it's easy (and saves you about 30 points) to replace it with a training axe.
I thought that feature was removed... 30 more embark points for me!
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2014, 09:16:14 am »

Yeah, it's still there. I routinely replace the copper axes with wooden training ones.

Verjigorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2014, 11:21:45 am »

I just bring logs.   Seriously, for 1pt more than an axe I can get 5 logs on embark.  1 to make a carpenters workshop, 2 for axes, 1 to burn into charcoal.   I still tend to bring 2 copper picks, as it let's me get into exploratin' the underground quick and in a hurry.   I also make sure to bring along some ores.  If I can get away with it, I like to have about 10-15 hematite/magnetite/limonite and 10 tetrahedrite* so I know I have some good weapons grade material(Iron for armor, copper for bolts and crossbows, silver for warhammers and maces).   

didn't save me from the terrifying conditions though.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2014, 04:09:52 pm »

In the interest of disabusing wagon-haters of their notion that wagons are unliving, unfeeling beings:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here we see that wagons actually lose hold of items and sustain injuries, when undergoing attacks from nasty savage little dwarvsies (this is a human wagon)

Further evidence that wagons are creatures and are ALIVE, include that they can be memorialised.
Did that bolt cut the wagon in half? I knew crossbows were overpowered, but wow.
It is terrifying.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2014, 10:04:22 pm »

It was inevitable . . . that that wagon would die to a bolt cutting it in half. For Science!

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2014, 04:41:59 am »

It was inevitable . . . that that wagon would die to a bolt cutting it in half. For Science!

Please note that the wagon did NOT die or fall apart. It just lost the board that makes up the back, so the items in it fell out.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2014, 11:29:18 am »

I don't like the fortress entrances. Would be better if they had it not floored off so I can have some nice walled-off farms.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2014, 11:54:24 am »

I've had an artifact wooden Anvil before... presto instant metal working  (when combined with an artifact wooden pick)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2014, 08:05:46 pm »

Please note that the wagon did NOT die or fall apart. It just lost the board that makes up the back, so the items in it fell out.
Lol! For real? It actually poured out its items? That's awesome.

It's like wagon blood is made out of socks and crutches.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5