Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 64

Author Topic: Choose-Your-Own-Masquerade - Dance 3 - TOWN WIN  (Read 87887 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Choose-Your-Own-Masquerade - Dance 3 - TOWN WIN
« Reply #885 on: August 12, 2014, 06:56:56 pm »

You all really should have been more suspicious of me.
Sorry for not doubting the guy who got both of his teammates killed. :P

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: August 12, 2014, 06:59:45 pm »

But the moment we mask swapped, we would spook the town out of relying on super-vig, and I was relying on super-vig to win the game.
It could also have saved some of your members though.  That always has to be the priority in a role-madness game, because no amount of WIFOM will save you from PoE (Process of Elimination) if you fall behind in numbers.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: August 12, 2014, 07:00:48 pm »

I'm glad people like the game mode. I like giving players the agency to play the game the way that suits them. There'll definitely be a CYOM3 at some point. I liked it being nightless though it vastly favoured players with Flexible and a means to gain more powers to sell. I might bring back conversions, and/or maybe another of scum dealing with people like Infection, or Booby-Trapping the use of certain powers. The Masquerade aspect of it was really to deal with the issue of bussing conflicts in a logical and interesting way, but all it did in this game was protect obviously scummy players from being immediately acted upon. I liked that aspect of it so it may see a return.

I was shocked when Wolf covered Jiokuy's turn that he made no effort to actually prolong Jioukuy's life in the proceedings.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: August 12, 2014, 07:03:12 pm »

Reading the scum chat:
I just realized a terrible thing. Whomever stole my powers can use them on me next day. They know they got it from Scarlet, and will probably use on it. Varee is crafty, as evidenced in Jack's BYOR, and started the whole evil RGB colours thing, so I suspect it's him. We need to take down whomever has the kill so 4maskwolf can graverob it.
:P
The best part so far. It's too bad the cleanse hit Afflicted, I would have loved to find out exactly what you would have got from it.
Wait, there were TWO town changelings?
Bwhahahahah!
I would have made a great SK, if there were third parties. I also would have made a great scum.
I had the innate-changeling plan ever since I first read that Innate cannot be changeling'd, back in the balance thread.

Holy shit Varee is good at this.
This sentence... makes me forget my pain and sorrow. It's pretty darn funny :P

Don't get too cocky, things might change when I enter the fray.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF....
Will this day never end?
Trollololololol

SHIT FLABORT WAS THE ONE WHO STOLE YOUR KILL!!!!!
And the big reveal! I knew reading the scum chat would be the best read of all times.

PPE: Sequel! Sequel! Sequel!
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: August 12, 2014, 07:09:13 pm »

But the moment we mask swapped, we would spook the town out of relying on super-vig, and I was relying on super-vig to win the game.
It could also have saved some of your members though.  That always has to be the priority in a role-madness game, because no amount of WIFOM will save you from PoE (Process of Elimination) if you fall behind in numbers.
Heh.  That was the plan though.  By PoE, I was to be one of the last two executed, and as I said, self-reflect free autoblock.  Flabort dies, scum victory.

I'm glad people like the game mode. I like giving players the agency to play the game the way that suits them. There'll definitely be a CYOM3 at some point. I liked it being nightless though it vastly favoured players with Flexible and a means to gain more powers to sell. I might bring back conversions, and/or maybe another of scum dealing with people like Infection, or Booby-Trapping the use of certain powers. The Masquerade aspect of it was really to deal with the issue of bussing conflicts in a logical and interesting way, but all it did in this game was protect obviously scummy players from being immediately acted upon. I liked that aspect of it so it may see a return.

I was shocked when Wolf covered Jiokuy's turn that he made no effort to actually prolong Jioukuy's life in the proceedings.
Eh.  I needed as many people to die as possible to make the plan work.  So I tried (and ended up succeeding) to get four people killed in one day(I intended three by kill, one by lynch) to get the numbers down to five.  I had backup plans in case I was put higher up the chopping queue, but bussing both your teammates ruthlessly seems to be a rather effective strategy.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: August 12, 2014, 07:09:41 pm »

Don't get too cocky, things might change when I enter the fray.
Trollololololol
That was when they were being way too celebratory doing well, and I was saying that things might not go so well when I was active.

I made sure that when I was playing I voted 4mask as my top scumpick as distancing.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: August 12, 2014, 07:10:25 pm »

Yeah, the thing is, scum knew a kill was going to come for Deathsword/Persus and they had loads of time to do something about it, but they didn't. Similarly. no effort was made to save Jiokuy. Further, Wolf could well afford Kill-Immune by the end... really they were very lax with their livelihood. I get Wolf was going for the hyper-bussing too-townie-to-be-scum route, but that didn't really work out in the end.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: August 12, 2014, 07:15:14 pm »

Yeah, the thing is, scum knew a kill was going to come for Deathsword/Persus and they had loads of time to do something about it, but they didn't. Similarly. no effort was made to save Jiokuy. Further, Wolf could well afford Kill-Immune by the end... really they were very lax with their livelihood. I get Wolf was going for the hyper-bussing too-townie-to-be-scum route, but that didn't really work out in the end.
Eh.  I had everything lined up, it just fell apart when I got sniped out of nowhere by TolyK.  That's the thing: I couldn't very well buy immune to kills without tipping off the town that something was wrong.  I had to play out in the open, otherwise I'd get taken down.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: August 12, 2014, 07:17:22 pm »

I basically got hit from left field at the last minute, right before I was about to win.  TolyK was the ONLY person left who could have stopped me, and stop me he did.  Also, well played, sir.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: August 12, 2014, 07:17:28 pm »

Surely "tipping off the town that something was wrong" is better than "literally lose the game right now", though.
I had backup plans in case I was put higher up the chopping queue, but bussing both your teammates ruthlessly seems to be a rather effective strategy.
Does it?  I think exactly the opposite is true in this gametype - the best backup is to have another person ready to pick up the slack/protect you.  Otherwise unless you've convinced every single person that you're the single most townie player in the game and no townie realizes the trick you're using you'll lose.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: August 12, 2014, 07:21:14 pm »

Surely "tipping off the town that something was wrong" is better than "literally lose the game right now", though.
I had backup plans in case I was put higher up the chopping queue, but bussing both your teammates ruthlessly seems to be a rather effective strategy.
Does it?  I think exactly the opposite is true in this gametype - the best backup is to have another person ready to pick up the slack/protect you.  Otherwise unless you've convinced every single person that you're the single most townie player in the game and no townie realizes the trick you're using you'll lose.
I don't think TolyK really did, though.  He just had the suspicion something was off, shared it with nobody (I think) and hit me out of nowhere.  One of my scumbuddies was useless and going to die anyway and the other was on the chopping block.

And no, it really wasn't, not at that point in the game.  I would have had way too many townies against me to actually win at that point, and my point total wouldn't have supported being able to win from there.  I had to play the game stealthily, and frankly I didn't see the hit coming.  Had I felt at all endangered, I would have put up defenses, but I got a little bit too comfortable in my position.

To be quite honest, though, had TolyK not hit me the scum would almost certainly have one.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: August 12, 2014, 07:43:02 pm »

Reading Deadchat now.
I like the power ideas proposed there. Most of them.
I'm especially fond of Save Point, then like in order Nerf, Deflate, Eradicate.
Eradicate has the problem that if you start with 10 points, you can wipe out the kill first thing.
Grand Swap looks wrong. Sorry, but something needs to change. Perhaps adding "a random half of the players are informed of their new masks".
holy crap triple kill and scum killed themself? Flabort just kill two town in a role then.... randomise? or flaort just gone trigger heappy and try to achieve the win con by killing everyone but himself?
LOL Yes, I considered it.

OK, in further discussion you remove Eradicate. That's good.

I think that there should be more ways to earn points. Here are some suggested additions:

(Power) Workout (4): Target player earns 1 extra point.
Results in: Self-Free-Workout (10): You earn 2 extra points per round.

(Power) Autoswap (2): Swap any auto you have with a random power your target has.

(Auto) Completely Innocent (12): Your alignment is revealed at the end of each day.
((I don't really like this one, but felt I should suggest it anyways; put it in a game with cultists for some fun, though))

(Flaw) Insidious (-1): You gain 1 extra XP at the start of each day, but cannot spend XP on buying powers, autos, or modifiers.

(Modifier) Direct- (X*1.5): The power targets players instead of masks.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: August 12, 2014, 09:23:18 pm »

3 - Save Point (When you buy Save Point, all your powers, autos and flaws are recorded. At any point you can use Save Point to return your build to it's saved state (minus Save Point). Save Point can't be stolen, swapped, changeling etc.)
If you read it literally Save Point could easily give you infinite XP (buy a bunch of stuff worth 8 or more XP and Save Point, sell your shit, Save Point back the stuff you sold, buy Save Point again, repeat).  I imagine it's supposed to reset XP as well.

The main issue I see with it is that scum could get a lot of free points by combining it with Changeling or Sap+Flexible.

e: or Power Steal, or even Power Swap.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 09:28:19 pm by Leafsnail »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: August 12, 2014, 09:30:57 pm »

Yeah, you know what's funny Toony?  That role I told you was my scum role?

That was my town role.

I was out of town for the role making process, so I told NQT to have my scumbuddies build my role for me.

And yes, NQT, I do love me some overly-complicated gambits.  On the other hand, it almost paid off.

So... close...

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: August 12, 2014, 09:40:27 pm »

Also, you know what I think this game needs?

Third Parties.

This game was so townsided you wouldn't believe, and third parties may throw in the wrench needed to make the game interesting.  I'm suggest sk's and survivors to start, with maybe cults as well.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 64