Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 64

Author Topic: Choose-Your-Own-Masquerade - Dance 3 - TOWN WIN  (Read 88213 times)

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
Re: Choose-Your-Own-Masquerade - The First Dance Has Begun
« Reply #135 on: July 27, 2014, 02:23:16 am »

Everyone: What are your opinions of townies having kills? non-self cleanses?  Gifts? gossip? vote-stealer?
I considered trying a chat + cleanse + bless combo, to make an anti-scum team. But since I had no way to confirm town effectivly I had to nix that idea.
everyone: Do you believe that the masquerade element of the game is town-sided or scum-sided?
It certainly seems scum-sided. It allows them a stronger ability to fakeclaim, and a moderate defense from information roles.
Which flaw do you think is the worst for it's cost?
I haven't had a chance to experience Afflicted, but that certainly seems the worst of the bunch. Lover is my close second, (if I bought it I would try to buy it off D2)
Do you think that the deep south element of the game is town-sided or scum-sided?

-The masks obviously benefit scum, as they already know the colour of their own masks and can target anyone else indifferently.
I might have missed something, but I didn't see it confirmed that scum know each other's masks. It would certainly be an interesting balancing mechanic.

Might color be related to role powers?

Wait wha, we got a D1 mask claim? Whyyy? I mean I guess since masquerade is apparently scum sided by design, a mass claim would be a good idea, at least until a scum hidden-mask swap screws us all over. On the other hand it also weakens peek as an effective information role vs scum.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 27, 2014, 02:27:13 am »

Wait wha, we got a D1 mask claim? Whyyy? I mean I guess since masquerade is apparently scum sided by design, a mass claim would be a good idea, at least until a scum hidden-mask swap screws us all over. On the other hand it also weakens peek as an effective information role vs scum.
It's a choice xD
Though on the part of masks being known...
Masquerade Each player is assigned a mask colour at the beginning of the game, and they only know the colour of their own mask and what other mask colours there are in play. Powers can only be targeted at masks, not players. Votes still target players.
Inferred is scum only know their OWN mask.
At the beginning of the game, each player is allotted an alignment (either town or scum), and a mask colour (red, purple etc.), and has five points to spend on powers. They can also take up to -5 points in flaws. The mafia don't get a mafiakill by default, but they do have a chat in which they can discuss (among other things) how they'll build their powers. Character Creation will last 24 hours or until everyone has sent in a build, whichever happens first.
Orange applies.
It was not, however, stated that the chat will be inaccesible after x period of time or some such, so scum have the conventional Mafia benefit AND:
> They have an ability benefit at heart in knowing each others' masks.

...And on that note, clear my confusion on the power-user/mask thing. I just noticed it by copy/paste >.>

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 27, 2014, 02:43:30 am »

Also, now that Tiruin claimed, we can't be sure it's true any more... :p
So much information...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 27, 2014, 02:50:19 am »

I dont think claiming liek that help anyone but the person that is claiming
For example if i say i am ultramarine , I may or may not be ultramarine but if am not

The real ultramarine dont want to say as if he/she say something it is revealing themself
and if someone wanna kill the me, the real ultramarine will just died instead.
second case is that am really ultramarine, it that case i just tell everyone  who to blame if someone start gossiping that ultramarine is killing people but it doesnt prove anything until someone peek.

We cant even prove it is true or not as I might have been mask swapped between claiming and getting peaked so i dont think claiming did much to anyone but the claimer, maybe we should just ignore them for now?
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 27, 2014, 03:13:25 am »

Actually, that brings up a good point. I got a ping that Tiruin is scum. Nothing concrete, but a ping. Why would you default to claiming as town on the first day? A different setup doesn't change the factory defaults - it would have to be something you think of before you start posting, right?

Pfp
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 27, 2014, 10:30:43 am »

So Wolf : When do you think will be the most popular time for an action, just before a lynch or just after?

If something happen to you that affect you alot like getting changlinged, will you just say it or will you keep it until day 3-4?
To the first question: right after the lynch for most actions, although information action users may wait until later.  Kills, obviously, have the 24 hour delay, so they are likely to go off about mid-day.

If I were changelinged (as opposed to power stolen or power swapped) I would definitely claim that I had been.  I see changeling as an extremely useful power for town and too much of a crapshoot for scum, and in a game where we cannot be targeted directly easily it wouldn't hurt to have a claimed changeling/claimed changeling target.

On the other hand, the whole changeling combo move seems like kind of a jerk move on the part of people, because it completely neutralizes someone else for most of the game, particularly if done a certain way (dense-mercenary-unable to vote-changeling or dense-mercenary-afflicted-changeling).  Particularly in a setup where it is hard to directly target the scum, it seems kind of mean to just netralize someone completely with your role without knowing if they are town or scum.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 27, 2014, 11:09:54 am »

Actually, that brings up a good point. I got a ping that Tiruin is scum. Nothing concrete, but a ping. Why would you default to claiming as town on the first day? A different setup doesn't change the factory defaults - it would have to be something you think of before you start posting, right?

Pfp
And I did think of it :v
Only problem that can come out of it is any problem that may exist.
Meaning: Make up a problem why I, as an individual, would get from claiming my (inferred) mask. :^ Because I saw no problem with it.

Explain that ping? Because I never said I was town for some reason (or for default or...that thing in orange), TolyK.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 27, 2014, 11:20:12 am »

If I were changelinged (as opposed to power stolen or power swapped) I would definitely claim that I had been.  I see changeling as an extremely useful power for town and too much of a crapshoot for scum, and in a game where we cannot be targeted directly easily it wouldn't hurt to have a claimed changeling/claimed changeling target.

On the other hand, the whole changeling combo move seems like kind of a jerk move on the part of people, because it completely neutralizes someone else for most of the game, particularly if done a certain way (dense-mercenary-unable to vote-changeling or dense-mercenary-afflicted-changeling).  Particularly in a setup where it is hard to directly target the scum, it seems kind of mean to just netralize someone completely with your role without knowing if they are town or scum.

Except, if you've been changeling'd, you target a specific player. As soon as that person claims, you know exactly who you hit. In the case of scum players using changeling, a claim would be a confirmation of your mask color, but only to the mafia.. I can't imagine that you thought this through that far without coming to such a conclusion. The only reason I can imagine for pushing a claim like that would be to do exactly what I just described. That is, you plan to attack a player, then use this to convince them to claim.

4maskwolf, can you explain how changeling is a crapshoot for scum, taking the above reasoning into account?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 27, 2014, 11:21:57 am »

The dance continues, slowing to a sickly slow swing, with everyone outwardly on their best behaviour.

Masks
Lemon
Ochre
Scarlet
Ultramarine
Turquoise
Brown
White
Chrome
Black
Beige
Emerald
Puce

Guest List - Formal Requests For Unmasking
Reverie
Tiruin
Toaster
Deathsword - [1]
Varee - [1]
Wolf
Toony
Silthuri
Scripten - [1]
TolyK - [1]
Jiokuy
Flabort

Hammer is 7 votes. Day ends when the hammer falls, or Monday 4PM BST (GMT+1).

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 27, 2014, 11:27:32 am »

Oooo~
NQT!
1. Do we know how many Mafia are there? Wasn't stated in the first post lore flavor.
2. Mafiosos retain their chat after they know their masks, right?
3. Could I know your inspiration on those colors? Historical or...?
- Each player has one extension they may use once in the game. This extends the game by 24 hours.
> This is activated by bolding 'extend' right? May it be PM'd? :P
5. Since scum can post in quicktopic, is it possible for a scumbuddy to act for another (ie 'Agent X will do y!') if they're absent at a time being?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 27, 2014, 11:31:56 am »

Tiruin.
Oh, I see omgus. Alright, lets look at it this way.
Do you normally claim your role in d1 in a "normal" mafia game? I'm guessing not.
Thus, it isn't the first thing you would do - in fact, you would normally refrain from revealing anything about your role. Thus, claiming something the first day (even though it's safer than usual) is more likely to be a more or less thought-out (or calculated) decision. Lets look at a similar problem.

You don't normally jump off of buildings with no great, do you? But what if someone guaranteed (and you believe them) that there's something at the bottom that will slow your fall at the end safely. Is out a given that you will jump off anyways? No, obviously, you'd still weigh the pros and cons, but in the end do it because it's fun.

THAT was my point. It's not that you lose much by claiming info in this case, but it's the fact that you did that shows you thought it out, and calculated decisions of this sort tickle my scumsense (in that scum more often know more about the game status than any town player and thus can calculate using the better data).

Why the outburst, though? And I never said you were town, either, nor that you said you did. Phrasing was meant as "of you were town, it made less sense".

Pfp
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 27, 2014, 11:34:09 am »

Tiruin:

Why would you ever want to extend via PM? This sounds very shenanigan-y.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 27, 2014, 11:35:12 am »

Tiruin
1. Do we know how many Mafia are there? Wasn't stated in the first post lore flavor.
If anyone was going to disrupt the Doge's party, they'd chose three assailants as that number is most auspicious.

2. Mafiosos retain their chat after they know their masks, right?
They retain their chat so long as they're all alive.

3. Could I know your inspiration on those colors? Historical or...?
I found a chart with 12 colours on and then swapped out ones I didn't like to more obscure names from the top of my head.

4. > This is activated by bolding 'extend' right? May it be PM'd? :P
That's right. I guess it could be extended by PM. Whether someone has extended or not will be public knowledge though.

5. Since scum can post in quicktopic, is it possible for a scumbuddy to act for another (ie 'Agent X will do y!') if they're absent at a time being?
If a scum member was going to be absent for a long time, I'd allow their team mates to make decisions for them. I'm very nice to scum teams.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 27, 2014, 11:48:08 am »

Tiruin:

Why would you ever want to extend via PM? This sounds very shenanigan-y.
Hence the :P
It was meant as a joke (though I was serious in the context of it being able if the player would expect serious busy-ness in the future [ie Me, because storm/rainy season and at the start of the day I see something that would be relevant for me using my extension but am unsure so I set a conditional  like 'if nobody extends when day end arrives use my extension')
I should've worded that better.
NQT, can extensions be sent via PMs and on conditional terms?

Tiruin.
Oh, I see omgus. Alright, lets look at it this way.
Do you normally claim your role in d1 in a "normal" mafia game? I'm guessing not.
Thus, it isn't the first thing you would do - in fact, you would normally refrain from revealing anything about your role. Thus, claiming something the first day (even though it's safer than usual) is more likely to be a more or less thought-out (or calculated) decision. Lets look at a similar problem.

You don't normally jump off of buildings with no great, do you? But what if someone guaranteed (and you believe them) that there's something at the bottom that will slow your fall at the end safely. Is out a given that you will jump off anyways? No, obviously, you'd still weigh the pros and cons, but in the end do it because it's fun.

THAT was my point. It's not that you lose much by claiming info in this case, but it's the fact that you did that shows you thought it out, and calculated decisions of this sort tickle my scumsense (in that scum more often know more about the game status than any town player and thus can calculate using the better data).

Why the outburst, though? And I never said you were town, either, nor that you said you did. Phrasing was meant as "of you were town, it made less sense".

Pfp
Hoo boy, seeing something to be tagged when there is nothing to be tagged; your note of OMGUS is verified by my suspicion on your word of town :v Where is it an OMGUS, if you didn't even vote beforehand?
I mean seriously. If you're going to use terms that have a background of being accusatory, USE THEM BLOODY RIGHT :I.

Did I claim my role? I claimed my mask. I guess you guess. :v
Thus, whatever logical conclusion you follow in that paragraph goes on an assumption that had no foundation at all.

...The orange part did not make sense. Great?
Yeah, that whole paragraph lost me. That was analogy right?

The next paragraph just tells me 'I did this because I thought it out.'
...K. And? How does that connect to your next idea of scum knowing more? Rather, how does it work as a scum-ping?

Also what outburst? I'm poking your wording in particular. Your exact wording in particular, to specify. Somehow you've a thing with words and their feelings. Why use the term 'outburst'?

Tiruin
If anyone was going to disrupt the Doge's party, they'd chose three assailants as that number is most auspicious.
I have a rather tempting idea to repost what I posted in the happy thread here-
Spoiler: Bah, I gave in. (click to show/hide)
[/quote][/spoiler]

If a scum member was going to be absent for a long time, I'd allow their team mates to make decisions for them. I'm very nice to scum teams.
A long time doesn't mean 'in this particular day' right? :x While I do understand that consideration, I could also see the potential for..err, advantages. Still, hypothetical question as it makes more sense that way. Thanks!

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 27, 2014, 11:49:08 am »

Except, if you've been changeling'd, you target a specific player. As soon as that person claims, you know exactly who you hit. In the case of scum players using changeling, a claim would be a confirmation of your mask color, but only to the mafia.. I can't imagine that you thought this through that far without coming to such a conclusion. The only reason I can imagine for pushing a claim like that would be to do exactly what I just described. That is, you plan to attack a player, then use this to convince them to claim.

4maskwolf, can you explain how changeling is a crapshoot for scum, taking the above reasoning into account?
Because the scumteam player with changeling would have no control over what powers they got: they could end up stealing a vigilante's role when another member has a kill, or they could end up with a role that is powerful for town but useless for scum.  In my opinion, it is far more likely for a changeling to be town than scum, simply because the scum don't get as much out of it.  Frankly, though, I'd be shocked if there was a changeling at all this game, due to the randomness of the masquerade element.  It makes town changelings much harder to aim and scum changelings even less useful to scum.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 64