Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 64

Author Topic: Choose-Your-Own-Masquerade - Dance 3 - TOWN WIN  (Read 88217 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
Re: Choose-Your-Own-Masquerade - The First Dance Has Begun
« Reply #120 on: July 26, 2014, 01:02:58 pm »

Everyone What are your feelings on the power modifiers? Which ones are most useful, and which are not worth their cost? What are your feelings on Hidden, specifically?

I think Free- is the most useful all around, while Hidden- is uselessly paranoid and slightly scummy. Townspeople's actions have no reason to be driven into secrecy.
I see there being some use to hidden: a townie with a powerful ability might want to hide it from a scum combo like powercop-powersteal.  While this combo would be risky and not altogether likely, there are some reasons for townies to hide their powers: to protect themselves from the scum who might desire to take powerful abilities/kill dangerous townies.

going through the power upgrades, I would say that self-targeting is relatively power-specific in it's utility, free is always nice to have, hidden is as I said above, and innate is good for either power-exchange combos or the above paranoid townie who doesn't want to lose a powerful ability.

Everyone: What are your opinions of townies having kills? non-self cleanses?  Gifts? gossip? vote-stealer?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 26, 2014, 02:17:41 pm »

More questions, because I am bored:

everyone: Do you believe that the masquerade element of the game is town-sided or scum-sided?
Which flaw do you think is the worst for it's cost?
Do you think that santa is a power more likely to be taken by town or scum?
How about bless?
Do you think that the deep south element of the game is town-sided or scum-sided?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 26, 2014, 02:20:28 pm »

Why did you pick nonvoter? Do you realize how harmful that could be if you don't buy it off?

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 26, 2014, 02:34:39 pm »

4maskwolf:

everyone: Do you believe that the masquerade element of the game is town-sided or scum-sided?
How about bless?
Do you think that the deep south element of the game is town-sided or scum-sided?

-The masks obviously benefit scum, as they already know the colour of their own masks and can target anyone else indifferently.

Just a thought (if we agree to follow my plan) - if anyone gets hit by a curse or similar, consider not sharing that with the game at large since that would only let scum know who is behind the mask they targeted. After the Day 3 unmasking would be the best time for that (I think).

-Santa favours scum tremendously. Since they are organised, they can use it straight at the beginning amongst each other without the guesswork.

-The Deep-south element hurts town more than it does scum, since good busy town play is necessary to get anywhere. The entire game will be like one long day, and while scum can afford the opportunity to not stay involved, town players very well may start to burn out and this could be a problem.

Um. What have you done twice now?
NQT: votecount, please.

You'll see when the votecount is posted, if you can't figure it out before then.

You chose 'Unable to vote'. Was the extra two points really worth losing your largest weapon as town, 4maskwolf?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 26, 2014, 02:56:01 pm »

The figures shamble and shuffle peaceable about while the Doge watches over from a balcony above the room, in animated conversation with his Parakeetkin paramour. Plots and subplots continue below, with all guests behaving themselves enough not to warrant ousting.

Masks
Lemon
Ochre
Scarlet
Ultramarine
Turquoise
Brown
White
Chrome
Black
Beige
Emerald
Puce

Guest List - Formal Requests For Unmasking
Reverie
Tiruin
Toaster
Deathsword - [1]
Varee - [1]
Wolf
Toony
Silthuri
Scripten - [1]
TolyK
Jiokuy
Flabort

Hammer is 7 votes. Day ends when the hammer falls, or Monday 4PM BST (GMT+1).

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 26, 2014, 02:58:48 pm »

The question is, why claim it so early?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 26, 2014, 03:03:36 pm »

Everyone: What are your opinions of townies having kills? non-self cleanses?  Gifts? gossip? vote-stealer?
Townies with kills... I think that townies with kills should be the most cautious players of anyone, and use a free-information power before they use their kill. Roughly the same idea with cleanses, always make sure you're not removing a scum's flaws before cleansing; this is easier than for kills, though, since cleanse costs less, and also less important than for kills.
Gift... I don't really see anyone benefiting from taking the Gift power, since you have to lose a power to use it. Plus the odds of targeting scum are too high for town, and for scum... they already know the powers of the other, so basically already have those powers, so gift is all around pointless, in my opinion.
Santa is better than Gift. Sure, more expensive, more random, but you don't loose anything by using it.
Townies with gossip doesn't seem wise. Unless they're going for a long-con gambit, which requires them to be alive the whole time, I don't see how it's useful; I can't even figure out how such a gambit would work. Maybe something involving self-gossip?
Town with vote stealer... eh. It's more acceptable than gossip, but it's still trollish. If you're using the vote for town, then taking a town vote is... more or less OK, I guess, but questionably. Better if you're voting the same person the person you stole the vote from would have voted. If you happen to take a scum vote, better. My opinion on town having vote steal also depends on how it interacts with unable to vote; if you steal the vote of someone who is unable to use theirs, do you get a vote or not? If you do, and you use the vote wisely, then I'd be OK with a towny with Vote Steal. I still think it's a little bit of a jerk move, but I'd be OK with it.

How about bless?
Up until the scum's masks get swapped, scum sided. Because of the advantage of knowing more than one starting mask.
I think Lover is probably the worst flaw by cost, with generous and one-shot close second and third.
Santa is probably equally likely to be town or scum, honestly. It is more powerful in the hands of scum, but it's an attractive power.
Bless is the same ability as Santa for autos instead of powers. SOMEONE'S going to take it; Scum are as likely as town and vice versa.

Having no nights is definitely town sided. There is no large gaps in the town conversation, town can queue actions for plans like the one proposed earlier (would involve queuing up peeks), queued up actions can be used to nullify the disadvantage of time-zones, and scum do not get their extra conversation time from night. I'm pretty sure that queued up actions can have conditions on them, too, since Gossip mentions conditions; such as saying, "as soon as I receive an extra power from Gift or Santa, sell that power and then use bless on so-and-so," so that you confirm something, and prove that you are town to so-and-so.

I have a theory, but I'd like to see his answer before I say it and "defang" your question.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 26, 2014, 03:14:06 pm »

Why did you pick nonvoter? Do you realize how harmful that could be if you don't buy it off?
Yep.  That's why I'm running self-targeted cleanse.  Unfortunately, it removed my magnetic flaw instead of my unable-to-vote flaw, but I should be able to vote tomorrow if nobody maskswaps me (I'm going to target myself again).

You chose 'Unable to vote'. Was the extra two points really worth losing your largest weapon as town, 4maskwolf?
Yes, see above.  I don't lose it for long, unless I get cursed or mask-swapped.

There are a multitude of reasons I claimed unable to vote early.  The first is so that I don't get caught up in the web of accusations tomorrow over not voting: since I will have my vote tomorrow, it would be difficult to claim that I did, in fact, have unable to vote on day one, which could lead to a mislynch.  It's the same reason I would claim survivor early: to avoid confusion and a possible mislynch.  The others will have to wait until later, I don't want to be late to a movie.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 27, 2014, 01:12:14 am »

How about bless?
I feel masquerade help the scum more than they help us as they it is no different for them to start killing town by not targeting one of their own. I also limit  cooperation in the town as even if you know someone have a kill you dont know who it is and it will take atleast two day and a lot of points to get both name and power of a mask. Also it is easier to hide if sucm keep chaing their mask around randomly with people as they pretty much hide forever. We wont even know if we got our mask swapped or not and wasting an action on checking our own mask is a stupid thing to do.

Afflicted seem pretty bad , i would say it is the worst one. the second worst would be the you can do action every other turn.

I dont feel like anyone will be taking santa, it too random and hard to plan with. Unless they target them self or take the magnetic flaw. Scum may have advantage of knowing who to target but there too much luck involve.

To be honest blessed doesnt really give anything good to be wasting an action on. unless they are making like a super scum with all the power of every combine or some thing like that.

Deep south are interesting and it might be more of a tell for people with different time zone. I dont know if it really help town or scum though.

So Wolf : When do you think will be the most popular time for an action, just before a lynch or just after?

If something happen to you that affect you alot like getting changlinged, will you just say it or will you keep it until day 3-4?

Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 27, 2014, 01:20:04 am »

Well, wolf settled my suspicions. It's NOT the reason I thought, but my brain took a long shot. I'm relieved, actually, that he claimed and I was wrong. AND AS LONG AS HE DOESN'T REVEAL HIS MASK, claiming powers is perfectly safe right now and the scum can only night kill him through sheer luck.

Something Varee now said though is bugging me for a similar reason. I'll just out and say it though.
If you got changleling'd, wouldn't saying that you got changeling'd let whoever hit you with it know who you are? What if they were scum?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 27, 2014, 01:56:53 am »

Hoo goodness I'm back ._.

Toaster~☻
Tiruin:
Toaster: Hello kuya! ^ ^
Hmm...Also hugs!
Nightless game. Color-tags. Any opinion on the color-scheme mechanic or is it just me that (may have probably :x) has the idea that the addition of color-bound-to-person/mask details have deeper connotations?

Hmm... oh, hello!

I've always wanted to play/host a nightless game here to see how it played out.  The mask mechanic IMO favors scum for several reasons.  One, they know three masks off the bat.  Two, they can kill indiscriminately and not worry, while it's hard for town to target scummy people with negative actions (or positive actions at good.)  Three, bussing is going to be chaotic here, since people don't know if they've been bussed.

And by deeper connotations, do you mean you expect anyone with a red mask to be scum, or it somehow tied to their powers?  I'd say no, on the grounds that you can most likely thank random.org for your mask color.

What do you expect the nightless mechanic to do here?
> Hilarity in the form of timezones.
As in, the nightless mechanic is both a boon and a bane--you could possibly trace who does what when you check who is online at the time of occurrence (counterbalanced by NQT being online at any one time) and if an event happens during said time.
That mechanic also allows, since we're all day-actors, the ability to..err, like, 'force a claim' on threat in the later days if one has a power that can make visible the alignment of another.

Also rather than depending on urbandictionary, you could've just asked me on what Kuya means :P
Wherein said dictionary lacks the fact that it can also pertain to a term talking about or addressing an older male.

Also i asked on the masks because what I understood from it--the masks...have some connection to the game for some reason?
All I understood is we can PM who we can target (ie the username)...or can we only target whose mask is what?

Reverie~☺
Tiruin:
Reverie: So first thing's first.
Long time no see! Also hugs
How's your outlook for Mafia going in the current days? :o Anything changed from before?
Also why Reverie? I like Flandre! :P Also I didn't know it was Touhou referenced.
Not that I even know what Touhou is, other than something something awesome battle girls and awesome music and all...
Mafia = stress, like always. I don't bend very well under stress, so I guess it's a bit of fortitude training for me :p
As for my name, I changed it because I got tired of being a Touhou reference, basically.

What is your opinion on nightless play?
I'll hug you if you're stressed :I

My opinion is stated above in Toaster's, but I'll add onto it here.
I'm a bit singled out due to Timezone. Knowing NQT is...British? It seems like I'll be able to act at bad times in the day ._.
The nightless play also lacks a night in which planning is done (scum-side), meaning they must be active (ie Less lurking activity on all sides).

Script~♠
Anyone (Or everyone): In a setup with defined roles, rolefishing is a fairly scum-sided action. Does this style of game change that dynamic?
I believe its more on how you word it rather than the intent (by that I mean the intent is in the wording instead of just branding such and such as 'ROLEFISHING'. I'm unsure currently if PM-NQT>Mask instead of player though, and believe that's connected to..rolefishing?)

Silth
Tiruin: No hugs for me?!
Everyone gets a hug by default--like ToonyMan.
I just wanted to emphasize hugs on those people.
Like if I'm unsure if they're grumpy or stressed or...yeah.

Varee~♥
Everyone in general : In the three primary tone (RGB), by gut feeling which one do you feel is the most scummy?
For me I would say red as typical video game use red as the color for enemy.
I'd not like to rely on that idea (I'm Black, yo) because of the connotations within it ._.
Colors as a generalization would be hard to pinpoint--regarding the usage of the Masquerade in historical values, this could mean a heck lot more than superficial data can go for.

Would you pick a color by random shooting, if your ability isn't a kill yet is useable that day?

Flabort~♣
Tiruin What plagues ail you? More seriously, which flaws do you expect town more likely to pick, and which ones are more scum-attractive.
Allergy to molds, fear of being judged, fear of abandonment and betraya-
Oh you meant In-Mafia. Ahah. Right ._.
Spoiler: Well from this list... (click to show/hide)
Checking it up, most of all seem neutral in alignment however the Orange colored ones seem more beneficial to town according to their usage (pertaining to how they synchronize with other choices picked and bonuses vs cons) whereas the Purple seem beneficial more to scum (with Minimalist being subjective in coordination with gift giving) a-
wait, just saw the 'randomly selected part'.
Yeah, clear the purple. Orange opinion stays. Everything else seems neutral.
Everyone What are your feelings on the power modifiers? Which ones are most useful, and which are not worth their cost? What are your feelings on Hidden, specifically?
Power..modifiers?
Hidden doesn't seem like something Town would pick (as in, at all), and I feel like its a scum-power unless well-explained by those who picked it.

Everyone: I'm up for criticism and suggestions. Will this plan flop? Are there ways it could improve?
I planned to claim color before even reading that xD
*reads*
Seems good, however I believe we should wait until D2 to ensure the plan would work (because Intermittent and fun with flaws :v)
Tiruin: Do you think the Scan power is useful? Which would be most useful to check: number of Powers, number of Autos, or number of Flaws?
Undoubtly!
In a massclaim-point number count would also be factored into the game wherein the Scan would pick up numbers in that timeframe only given that this is a day-only game.
What would be useful is the # of powers to check.
...if someone got Fortuneteller that is, countercheck-claiming would be a go.
Otherwise: ...same answer. # of flaws could be affected by cursing people and # of autos doesn't seem that great to acquire knowledge from.
Unless I misunderstood that 'you can only pick 1 Auto' means 'You can ONLY PICK ONE AUTO FROM THIS LIST, EVER. NO OTHER AUTOS :I'

4mask~◘
I'M HERE, EVERYONE!!!!!

4maskWolf: Heyo there :D
Only one thing on my mind about you Also also hugs
What is your personal opinion regarding your own playstyle in Mafia? Do you think, based on previous events, that self-deprecation in any form is helpful to the self?
My playstyle is crap, to be honest, since I can't play the new-guy card anymore.  I'm not sure if the second question is intended for real life or game?
Why focused on the new-guy card? o-o
Also the second question is intended for both, really. I'm concerned about ya :<

> ...Nothing wrong with townies having kills o_O Is there something wrong with it? Curious is the me.
> Seems great; benevolence :D
> You mean giving gifts or...?
> Useless. Why would a townie gossip about others unless they accurately know who scum is...which is already an emphasis on how impractical it is for townies. On a RL note: Gossip sucks. Period.
> . . .This may speak of an egoistic person if they don't believe other townies can hold their own vote. Otherwise, if used late-game, is good due to the ability for someone stealing scum votes! The former sentence is more a poke on random jest, by the way. The second sentence is what I truly feel.
Unless handled wrongly, but that's an idea for any ability which can directly affect the game.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2014, 02:04:46 am »

snip
HOLY the size of that post is huge

Did you just say what color your mask is or did i misinterpreted your post?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2014, 02:14:51 am »

The former o_o

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 27, 2014, 02:19:25 am »

The former o_o

Why would you want to reveal your mask color to other people?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 27, 2014, 02:22:39 am »

To give a choice and to loosen up choices.
I have not mentioned however if I am immune to anything else in considering my visibility though, so that's one thing to ponder upon.
Next, is there...anything wrong with revealing such?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 64