Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Monitor problem  (Read 1359 times)

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Monitor problem
« on: July 17, 2014, 05:51:42 pm »

So my dwarves are under attack from a giant television monitor. What should I do?
Beware. Not of the E, or of the U, or even of the &, @, and b. Beware the #.<BR>(Translation:) Beware. Not of the elephants, or of the unicorns, or even the demons, carp, and badgers. Beware the husks, for they are relentless, corrupting, and unstoppable. Only the might of hell itself can even keep it in check; and only for a small period of time. If one sees such a being; run away, unless you like the idea of joining their ranks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Monitor problem
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 06:14:41 pm »

Kill it with internet

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 06:23:39 pm »

Given the context, I'd guess that this was a monitor lizard. I doubt there would be any house appliance forgotten beasts :p
This is funny though!

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 09:36:23 pm »

Given the context, I'd guess that this was a monitor lizard. I doubt there would be any house appliance forgotten beasts :p
This is funny though!
It has antennae, it is obviously some sort of technology.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 08:30:59 am »

This is funny though!

If it was a monitor lizard, it probably would be refered to in the description as such.

Factor in the "one eye" (screen), the "antennae", the "far apart silver scales" (buttons), and effectively the end result is a TV. Probably one of the old CRT models, otherwise it wouldn't have been forgotten.
Beware. Not of the E, or of the U, or even of the &, @, and b. Beware the #.<BR>(Translation:) Beware. Not of the elephants, or of the unicorns, or even the demons, carp, and badgers. Beware the husks, for they are relentless, corrupting, and unstoppable. Only the might of hell itself can even keep it in check; and only for a small period of time. If one sees such a being; run away, unless you like the idea of joining their ranks.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 10:21:53 am »

If it was a monitor lizard, it probably would be refered to in the description as such.
Unless Toady simply omitted that word, assuming that we would know what the game was talking about.

Which I'm 99.9% certain is the case.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 11:59:07 am »

Unless Toady simply omitted that word, assuming that we would know what the game was talking about.

Or he simply forgot to type that word, in the list of animal-templates that FBs can use.  Which apparently is different from the list of creatures, since "monitor lizard" is how it's written in creature_tropical_new.txt.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 12:20:06 pm »

FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 12:33:07 pm »

Throw cats at it. That's how you break a TV, should work here.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 01:11:19 pm »

Have your dwarves play some rage-inducing game on it. Depending on what console you have or what you can connect, I've heard Dwarf Souls and Urist Kart specifically being dangerous enough to end up with broken monitors.
Though there're plenty of other games you could get them, too. Old Nintendwarf games are known to be hard.
There's always Flappy Kea or its offspring, Flappy Carp if you can get it connected to the monitor.

Be prepared for friendships to end if they are playing multiplayer though. This may also result in a tantrum spiral. You have been warned.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 04:17:40 pm »

This is funny though!

What with the way my cat yells and carries on like Godzilla just invaded the house whenever I make toast, I would say she's convinced that the toaster is an FB.

What's going to do, burn our crusts?  Just make sure to not fight it with metal weapons :D
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 05:53:25 pm »

Maybe you could just unplug it.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 09:45:48 pm »

Have your dwarves play some rage-inducing game on it. Depending on what console you have or what you can connect, I've heard Dwarf Souls and Urist Kart specifically being dangerous enough to end up with broken monitors.
Though there're plenty of other games you could get them, too. Old Nintendwarf games are known to be hard.
There's always Flappy Kea or its offspring, Flappy Carp if you can get it connected to the monitor.

Be prepared for friendships to end if they are playing multiplayer though. This may also result in a tantrum spiral. You have been warned.

I totally was waiting for you to suggest Wiiing on it.

Girubev

• Bay Watcher
  • You can talk to yourself; just win the argument...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 10:35:10 pm »

This is a finely-crafted pun. Most pundwarfship is of mediocre quality. It menaces with spikes of amusement. On it is the mental image of a television. This image relates to the literal and figurative appearance of the forgotten beast Rúbal the one-eyed monitor in 2014. On it is an image of cheese.
Oh great, a Teddy Roosevelt Demon who can ban dwarves.
Just what you needed.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 03:57:45 am »

I totally was waiting for you to suggest Wiiing on it.

That's a great idea. I didn't think of it because we have a Wii and never had any problems there.
So yeah, there's also playing games that involve a lot of movement on the Nintendwarf Screem*.

*:I had a hard time dwarfifying 'Wii'. That's the best I could come up with at this time.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread
Pages: [1] 2