Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Baby boom!  (Read 1025 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Baby boom!
« on: July 17, 2014, 05:03:55 pm »

I can't recall ever having had this many babies pop out of my dwarves in such short time. My suspicion is that all immigrant wives arrive pregnant.
I just gained 7 population in I think 7 dwarf days.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Baby boom!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 05:18:16 pm »

I can't recall ever having had this many babies pop out of my dwarves in such short time. My suspicion is that all immigrant wives arrive pregnant.

dorfsplosion :D

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 06:12:35 pm »

I don't know, Dorfsplosions are pretty common in older versions too. I guess it has to do with migrants arriving married, so they get it on the moment they're both in your Fort.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 09:34:30 pm »

I know that quite often births will happen in quick succession, though that's a unnaturally high amount of them indeed.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 01:04:17 am »

My fortress has a walkway suspended over a volcano with a burrow on it. I have a "different kind of baby boom" in my fortress and it is very effective in reducing the number of useless mini-dwarves.

More seriously though I have indeed had 5+ births within a couple of minutes before.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 01:59:43 am »

Have you ever considered throwing your children into pits full of rabid animals to make them supersoldiers?
I'm with stupid |
                      v

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 02:46:44 am »

My theory is that there's an illegal baby-smuggling ring in the Mountainhomes. The migrants are paid to hide surplus babies inside their various orifices, get inside your fort and then... well... eject the goods.

Of course, being contraband, these babies must be burned to strip them of their value. It's the only way to dissuade the wrongdoers.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 02:49:01 am by HmH »