Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Invaders always showing up three seasons into new fort?  (Read 1445 times)

dwarfkat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Invaders always showing up three seasons into new fort?
« on: July 17, 2014, 01:29:55 pm »

So my first DF2014 fort was going nicely. Settled in spring, migrants in summer, dwarven caravan in fall... But then a couple days into winter two necromancers show up. I've got 19 dwarves and only one with military skill, so I figure I'll batten the hatches and let the merchants take care of them.

Wrong. The invaders hang out on their side of the map and the merchants on theirs. The merchants weren't even leaving because some of them were freaked out by keas and were refusing to go pack up their stuff. We hang out all winter like this, in spring two of the merchants' horses give birth, and I finally forbid the depot to get them the hell out of there. I open the doors, the zombies are still bumming around, and I decide hey, I've got these cages now, maybe I can catch some zombies in cages. My mechanic goes to set up the trap near the horde, gets freaked out, drops the mechanism, and runs away. The necromancers leave sometime during summer but their zombies remains, it turns out the zombies will attack if I get close enough, they won't leave on their own, no one is coming to help because of the siege, and so next winter and six dead dwarves later I decide fuck it, I'm outta here.

Next fort starts in winter. Spring is uneventful, migrants in summer, then a couple days into autumn I get a kobold thief followed almost immediately by a squad of goblins. My dwarf numbers are almost exactly the same as my first fort. I bang my head against the keyboard and hope the dwarven caravan shows up and gets rid of them for me. But it is not to be; the game crashes mid-autumn and I call it a night. When I start up the LNP again I decide to turn off invaders because really, and the curtain rises on the first day of autumn. Right on schedule: kobold, goblins.

Has anyone else noticed this pattern of three seasons=invasion? These two forts were in completely different places on a medium map, from different civilizations, and were both mountain fortresses near the civ's other forts. I was under the impression that invasions were linked to fortress wealth, which, three seasons, uh, no. I was still digging out the less necessary living spaces in both of them, hospitals and expanded workshop and stockpile areas etc. Especially since the LNP invader toggle doesn't work anymore I suspect this has changed. Since they were both immediately three seasons in it seems like it would be hard-coded, but it seems like that would be a little much and also far too predictable. And then sending me an invasion before I've had a single caravan, thus possibly scaring it away, has the enormous potential to leave me A Bit Screwed.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Invaders always showing up three seasons into new fort?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 01:40:04 pm »

My current fortress had it's first invasion in late summer year 2. So no.
As far as I know, it is mostly dependant on the proximity of goblin sites, to where you embark.
I suppose with the new army arc, it might also depend on the proximity of enemy armies.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 02:48:08 pm »

Invasions can definitely happen sooner than in the old version. I've had this happen too with undead. You need to start thinking about defense a bit sooner than before.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 02:51:10 pm »

I got a force of vile darkness about the same time as the spring arrived message on year 2. was a squad of about 7 human recruits and 1 dwarf wrestler.  I rappidly recalled everybody inside and sealed the entrance as I'd not yet recieved more than the 2 hardcoded waves of migrants and both were small so I only had 13 beards.  I forgot to bring in the few animals pastured outside.  The invaders chased the animals around a bit, one hurt the ewe before geting his ass kicked by it and the whole group took off before the elven caravan showed up.

Funny thign is I couldnt even trade with the elves as everything I had was made of wood.  I had a 7 deep aquifer I had to pierce so most of the first year was geting basic survival setup and punching my way through it.  Thankfuly only the first 2 were soil aquifers so I could use smoothing instead of construction but I messed up my double slit on the first soil layer which slowed me down a few months.  I let them in to the depot so I could see their goods and they didnt even have anything worth stealing so I just pulld my beards back inside and ignored them till they went away.

It was a surprise geting an invasion that early as I was used to the 2012 rules where you'd never see more than an ambush till your population started geting up there.

cikulisu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 03:26:28 pm »

in my ~3 fortresses i've done in the new patch so far, i get a vile force of darkness right on schedule in autumn. it only consists of 10-15~ goblin recruits though so so far it's not been bad. whether it's in the first year or the second though i couldn't tell you. just that it was in autumn.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 03:40:07 pm »

Invasions can definitely happen sooner than in the old version. I've had this happen too with undead. You need to start thinking about defense a bit sooner than before.
Necromancers, since their addition to the game, have never had any restrictions on when they can invade. It's possible for it to happen the next month after you embark.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 04:47:58 pm »

I've started several fortresses in all 3 new versions and I only got 1 vile force of darkness and maybe 1 or 2 kobolds, no snatchers. Normal number of forgotten beasts and titans.

My biggest and wealthiest fortress had over 100 dwarves and maybe half a mil wealth.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 04:55:31 pm »

I had a were-thing in my first summer or fall. They (idk why/how but there were some more after a bit of time) ripped apart the caravan + a lot of my dwarves and animals until some migrants shot them off with their crossbows. I didn't expect action that early. It was !!FUN!! though. :3
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 04:57:21 pm by rumpel »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 05:48:18 pm »

Exactly ten invaders some goblin some human some dwarven possibly bandits ALWAYS.

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 08:42:17 pm »

I had it worse. I had a siege before summer even came. Probably because I embarked litterally, the squares touching, to a goblin pit.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 01:24:34 am »

I think its now that all invades come from historical figures instead of being generated on spot AND because world is now active.. So when npcs decide "Hey, let's attack dwarf fortress", the siege comes when they reach the fortress instead of being locked until certain time <_<

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 02:17:55 am »

My first fortress on 40.01 had a seige in the first year :|

This one (40.03) had an ambush of 2 or 3 kobolds in the first year, but they were weak and one of my stray dogs killed one of the kobolds while the other fled. However, I'm on year 4 or 5 now of the fort and have not been assaulted since, which is a pity because I finally figured out how to make my archers train.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 07:42:34 am »

My first fortress on 40.01 had a seige in the first year :|

This one (40.03) had an ambush of 2 or 3 kobolds in the first year, but they were weak and one of my stray dogs killed one of the kobolds while the other fled. However, I'm on year 4 or 5 now of the fort and have not been assaulted since, which is a pity because I finally figured out how to make my archers train.

One of the main reasons I gave up the new version. After dedicating the time to play at less than thirty fps for several years and getting an impressive metalworks cranking out steel weapons and armor I got no invaders after the first year.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 08:29:23 am »

see my military thread.

I'm getting constantly invaded, twice by undead. they don't leave, last invasion added 40 undead. What a mess.

I need a dfhack script to kill something. So tired of it. Can't get anything done with the constant invasions after only like 1 year.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 08:39:31 am »

... One of the main reasons I gave up the new version. After dedicating the time to play at less than thirty fps for several years and getting an impressive metalworks cranking out steel weapons and armor I got no invaders after the first year.
Same, at least for my magma hallway megaproject.

Also, not seeing any civ contact after snatchers/thieves/etc, I'm thinking long term enemy attacks are broken/inconsistent at the moment.  Add that traps & squad behavior is worse, not better, than 34.11, there isn't any compelling reason to try anything long term yet, imo.

Maybe undead towers are the new "goblin civ" option, if you want !!fun!! in the long term?