Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mod out entire civilizations of one ethnicity.  (Read 1306 times)

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mod out entire civilizations of one ethnicity.
« on: July 17, 2014, 12:10:55 pm »

Does anyone know if there are any mods that add a bit of diversity to a civilizations population? Making it so they all have equal chance for any hair and skin combination? I tried creating hundreds of casts but its so much work and just feels sloppy, does anyone have any other solutions?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Mod out entire civilizations of one ethnicity.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 02:43:48 pm »

several castes with CV_Variations that add hair/skin/eye colors is my only guess

can make CVs like "Cool Eyes (all shades of cool colors, blue, green, purple) dark eyes (brown, gold, etc)" same with skin tones. that way all you need to make is:
CASTE:MALE_DARKSKINTONE_COOLEYECOLOR
CASTE:MALE_LIGHTSKINTONE_DARKEYECOLOR

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 03:03:26 pm »

How exactly do I make a cast without changing anything? Will it take all the hair langth variations and such from the base model if I dont include them and just use the hair and skin tones I specify? Or Do I have to make a few hundred varations each with all the stats and stuff found at the bottom with skin tone and such.

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 03:05:23 pm »

If I include all hair collars in a new cast will they use them all interchangeably like normal whenever the cast pops? Or do I have to create a new cast for every collar...

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 04:06:17 pm »

with the way genetics are set up at the moment you will see very little diversity between each caste member.

In a regular game of dwarf fortress you will have two castes, male and female.
Most males will look mostly the same with only very few members diverging from the norm. With things like dwarves this is not very noticable, but if you take the pony mods for instance, where appearance is a lot more important, this becomes more noticable.
As Hugo mentioned below to fix this you simply duplicate your castes to add more diversity. Note that you will still need to make give the males the [male] tag and the female the [female] tag.

After you've defined your creature we first need to create a new caste. This is easily done just by entering the [caste:x] tag with a unique name

[CASTE:MALE1][CASTE:MALE2][CASTE:MALE3]
[CASTE:FEMALE1][CASTE:FEMALE2][CASTE:FEMALE3]

We have now created the castes, we can now define them using [SELECT_CASTE:] and SELECT_ADDITIONAL_CASTE:]
this means we only need to type the caste code once. If you just want more variation in your color spread and not specific castes have specific colors, you can just add the colors to [SELECT_CASTE:ALL] each caste will pick a random color from the available options, and most members of that caste will generally have this color.

[SELECT_CASTE:MALE1][SELECT_ADDITONAL_CASTE:MALE2][SELECT_ADDITONAL_CASTE:MALE3]
[MALE]

[SELECT_CASTE:FEMALE1][SELECT_ADDITONAL_CASTE:FEMALE2][SELECT_ADDITONAL_CASTE:FEMALE3]
[FEMALE]

Doing this we make our selected castes the correct sex

[SELECT_CASTE:ALL]

SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:HAIR]
      [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:RED:1:BLUE:1:GREEN:1:YELLOW:1]
               [TLCM_NOUN:hair:SINGULAR]
               [TLCM_GENETIC_MODEL:MIX]

And bob's your uncle!

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 05:13:17 pm »

with the way genetics are set up at the moment you will see very little diversity between each caste member.

In a regular game of dwarf fortress you will have two castes, male and female.
Most males will look mostly the same with only very few members diverging from the norm. With things like dwarves this is not very noticable, but if you take the pony mods for instance, where appearance is a lot more important, this becomes more noticable.
As Hugo mentioned below to fix this you simply duplicate your castes to add more diversity. Note that you will still need to make give the males the [male] tag and the female the [female] tag.

After you've defined your creature we first need to create a new caste. This is easily done just by entering the [caste:x] tag with a unique name

[CASTE:MALE1][CASTE:MALE2][CASTE:MALE3]
[CASTE:FEMALE1][CASTE:FEMALE2][CASTE:FEMALE3]

We have now created the castes, we can now define them using [SELECT_CASTE:] and SELECT_ADDITIONAL_CASTE:]
this means we only need to type the caste code once. If you just want more variation in your color spread and not specific castes have specific colors, you can just add the colors to [SELECT_CASTE:ALL] each caste will pick a random color from the available options, and most members of that caste will generally have this color.

[SELECT_CASTE:MALE1][SELECT_ADDITONAL_CASTE:MALE2][SELECT_ADDITONAL_CASTE:MALE3]
[MALE]

[SELECT_CASTE:FEMALE1][SELECT_ADDITONAL_CASTE:FEMALE2][SELECT_ADDITONAL_CASTE:FEMALE3]
[FEMALE]

Doing this we make our selected castes the correct sex

[SELECT_CASTE:ALL]

SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:HAIR]
      [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:RED:1:BLUE:1:GREEN:1:YELLOW:1]
               [TLCM_NOUN:hair:SINGULAR]
               [TLCM_GENETIC_MODEL:MIX]

And bob's your uncle!

So what will the end format look like? I find myself becoming confused about how I should arrange these tags...

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 11:02:55 pm »

Just want to know how to arrange these tags for dwarves and humans.

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 04:03:32 pm »

I cant seem to figure it out how to arrange it all.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 05:17:02 pm »

I don't think it's going to work anyway. I'm not sure as it was a different situation, but I think when a child is born and it needs appearance modifiers that it's parents don't have then the game will crash when you look at it. More specifically that's caused by crashes happening in general when a creature doesn't have appearance modifiers and it should. I don't know if this would affect creatures born in world generation, but I think it's pretty likely it would affect creatures born on screen. I would want to experiment before giving up, but I'm away from a computer and will continue to be so for quite a while. I guess if you still need help 9 days from now I could help you.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 12:17:22 pm »

I don't think it's going to work anyway. I'm not sure as it was a different situation, but I think when a child is born and it needs appearance modifiers that it's parents don't have then the game will crash when you look at it. More specifically that's caused by crashes happening in general when a creature doesn't have appearance modifiers and it should. I don't know if this would affect creatures born in world generation, but I think it's pretty likely it would affect creatures born on screen. I would want to experiment before giving up, but I'm away from a computer and will continue to be so for quite a while. I guess if you still need help 9 days from now I could help you.

Iv been able to mod in castes for each hair color and skin color but it takes so very long...

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 12:20:37 pm »

Does anyone know how to construct the casts format in a way that will not affect the like common hair and beard styles or anything wonky like that? just a caste that I can easily swap out the skin and hair collar with the another and copy / paste over and over again?
It would be a huge help if you could give me a sample caste that I could just swap the collars in / out and rename over and over to create a variable pool of genetic features.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 02:23:15 pm »

Here's my attempt I can't test it myself, but it should be a good template.
   [CASTE:MALE_AMBER_BROWN]
      [MALE]
      [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:FACIAL_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:HAIR]
       [PLUS_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:CHEEK_WHISKERS]
       [PLUS_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:CHIN_WHISKERS]
       [PLUS_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:MOUSTACHE]
       [PLUS_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:SIDEBURNS]
       [PLUS_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:EYEBROW]
       [PLUS_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:EYELASH]
   [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:AMBER:1]
    [SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SKIN]
   [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:BROWN:1]
Then remove the normal modifiers and create more castes like these that just have different modifiers.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 12:27:26 pm »

Here's my attempt I can't test it myself, but it should be a good template.
   [CASTE:MALE_AMBER_BROWN]
      [MALE]
      [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:FACIAL_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:HAIR]
       [PLUS_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:CHEEK_WHISKERS]
       [PLUS_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:CHIN_WHISKERS]
       [PLUS_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:MOUSTACHE]
       [PLUS_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:SIDEBURNS]
       [PLUS_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:EYEBROW]
       [PLUS_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:EYELASH]
   [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:AMBER:1]
    [SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SKIN]
   [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:BROWN:1]
Then remove the normal modifiers and create more castes like these that just have different modifiers.

Do I have to put the hair modifiers in? I mean wouldnt that mean I need to include all the nail and facial modifiers too? Or do I only need to include hair modifiers cause I am changing the collar of the hair...

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 12:53:09 pm »

How do dogs and other animals in DF manage to have truly random collar populations?

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 01:12:19 pm »

Ok, we may all have been wrong, it seems if you create a cast that has access to all hair and skin tones that it will choose from them randomly and you only require one cast, when they pop they are randomly created from scratch with no genetics involved, However there is a odd glitch where it says "the skin of the upper lip is ___ " insert random skin tone...
Pages: [1] 2