Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ice as stone material?  (Read 1107 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Ice as stone material?
« on: July 16, 2014, 11:10:42 am »

I understand that you cannot use ice as a stone material, in mason workshops and such. Is it possible to mod it in? I would love to build an ice fortress, complete with ice tables and chairs.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
Re: Ice as stone material?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 12:46:46 pm »

Ice is water, and water is a hardcoded base material.  You would need to define an inorganic nevermeltice.

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
  • Mysterious Transmissions
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 02:01:35 pm »

I've been wondering about this myself.

I mean you can use those ice boulders to build walls and floors.  Someone would have to try some logical fanatic reaction RAW work to see if one could find if there is a way to make a custom reaction that defines solid water/ice to be used as a regret for crafts. (You can already define the use of water as an input and output so making it ice instead doesn't seem like that far stretch)  Of course if it ends up being able to be done then you'd have to make a custom reaction for each item you want to be able to make out of ice.

Great now I'm going to spend a few hours trying to do this...  I'll probably fail horribly.
Dwarf Fortress.
The only game where throwing babies into a pit with crazed dogs will be considered a beneficial concept.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
  • Looks like cat for dinner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 02:03:28 pm »

Hypothetically could you make a workshop that turns water into a pseudo-material called Ice that looks like Ice but doesn't melt into water? Just so you can build stuff that looks like it.
Advanced Civilizations (0.40.X+)

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 07:31:20 pm »

I've done something!

[REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NONE:ICE:HARD_ITEM_MATERIAL]
This will actually make the reaction take in ice boulders!

Still haven't figured out how to make the products be ice also since apparently [GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT] didn't work or I didn't have it set up right.
Dwarf Fortress.
The only game where throwing babies into a pit with crazed dogs will be considered a beneficial concept.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 08:11:24 pm »

Hypothetically could you make a workshop that turns water into a pseudo-material called Ice that looks like Ice but doesn't melt into water? Just so you can build stuff that looks like it.
AFAIK this would probably be the best way to go about it. Just have a place that transforms normal ice boulders into "Ice" boulders that are actually stone with all of their properties changed to act like water (melting point and whatnot).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 12:03:56 am »

I think I almost may have might of gotten this working useing actual ice.

Though the products produced by my reaction don't seem to made of any material... It confounds me!  I create an object with no material discription...  is it made of ice?  I have no idea because it doesn't say...  But it does exist so I guess that's a step in the right direction.

More testing must be done!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 12:07:06 am by Phenoix12 »
Dwarf Fortress.

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 06:56:34 pm »

[REACTION:MAKE_ICE_CRAFTS]
   [NAME:make ice crafts]
   [BUILDING:CRAFTSMAN:NONE]
   [REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NONE:WATER:BUILDMAT]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:CRAFTS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:NONE]
   [SKILL:STONECRAFT]

This reaction will actually produce items of ice, though they aren't labeled as such for some reason.  So you'd just get an item without a material descriptor.
So it actually might be better to just make the reaction produce a product from a pseudo ice that just has the same properties of regular ice so that the items you make actually get the material description of being made of "ice".
Dwarf Fortress.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 03:40:22 am »

[PRODUCT:100:1:CRAFTS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]

You need to use the name that you gave the particular reagent you are referencing, which in this case is "A"

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 07:03:23 pm »

[PRODUCT:100:1:CRAFTS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]

You need to use the name that you gave the particular reagent you are referencing, which in this case is "A"

That was just a typo in the forum post actually...  But you are right.  In the reaction I actually used in the raw I had everything correct and what I said in the previous post is still true.
Dwarf Fortress.