Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Military broken again?  (Read 4285 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: Military broken again?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 10:32:04 am »

My current fort of 18 has 4 axedwarves/wrestlers who constantly spar and 3 off duty marksdwarves with no barracks designated. The axedwarves started off doing demonstrations and teaching each other, because each one had a different skill they excelled at. They then began sparring once their skills evened out. The marksdwarves don't do anything training wise as long as there is no barracks assigned. If they have a barracks, no matter their preference for martial skills, they will train endlessly. I think it's something on having a barracks assigned and the new preferences getting borked, unless it's intended behavior, then it's just odd.

Nasty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 11:40:11 am »

My fort is approaching the end of its third year and I've had some fair difficulty with the military. At this time they're a full squad (10) speardwarves and crossbowdwarves, and for full time active duty training they have had some pretty lackluster results. All the speardwarves are level 1 with their spears, I've even removed their shields which actually got them to use them sliiiiightly more when training. The bows are the usual nightmare, having to constantly check ammunition to keep getting back on the range.

I've also had reoccurring issues with guarding burrows. Straight off the bat after embark it works fine, but once there is barracks and a little establishment dwarves refuse to man their posts, instead standing around like stunned mullets at random bedrooms or drinking areas while a rampaging werecavy shakes a few children to death.

At least this time the sieges pathed to my fort correctly. I've only had the one in near four years, and that was over two years ago. I've not seen a living goblin yet in 40.x although that's probably just luck. Traders have brought news of a goblin group laying scourge to a good 30-40 settlements lol. I think they should give my steel (and novices) a try.

I've also had troubles with dwarves (often leaders) randomly leaving squads, screwing the training regime for everyone, yet when I put them back into civilian life I find that they're still doing individual drills or Soldier (no duty). Cant reassign them to the squad captain positions straight away but I can put them back into another fresh squad (which they will eventually drop out of again).

Generally the play session has been a bit of a nightmare regarding trying myself blue in the face to get everything running smoothly. If this were 34.11 everyone would be elite or close by now. Steel or steel/leather equipment across the board and it hasn't helped.

All sparring seems to be wrestling despite toting exceptional steel spear. Somehow a little spearwork does leak in there, just very very very slowly.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 12:20:00 pm by Nasty »

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 06:54:45 pm »

Quite frankly, the correct thread name would be "Military still broken?"

The wiki says one things, people on the forums other thing, frankly, Ive got my guys to spar maybe once in the last 2 years. I never got marksdwarves to train properly and they never came in handy because of how 1)the station command works 2)the ammo resupply (doesnt) work.

Hopefully high up on toadys to-rewrite list. Ammo issue especially is jarring.

cikulisu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 07:07:13 pm »

Quite frankly, the correct thread name would be "Military still broken?"

The wiki says one things, people on the forums other thing, frankly, Ive got my guys to spar maybe once in the last 2 years. I never got marksdwarves to train properly and they never came in handy because of how 1)the station command works 2)the ammo resupply (doesnt) work.

Hopefully high up on toadys to-rewrite list. Ammo issue especially is jarring.

agree. ideally there should be configurable sets for all this stuff so you can tell them "preferred training method: sparring." "when teaching X skill, this guy teaches" "ammo resupply when? [X] Always/never/only within distance" etc etc. this stuff is really important and it's annoying that it's all up to what seems like random chance.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 08:34:21 pm »

Well that and perhaps being able to define some spaces as "battlestations" where dorfs would hold. Prevents not-markslords from not shooting over a fortification and makes the squad actually work together instead of the usual "Loose formation, charge at will".

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 10:53:30 pm »

Hopefully the next development cycle will mix Optimization and the Army Arc so we get some serious improvements to the military. We'll need them, that'd probably be the point where we start seeing portable siege weaponry and sappers on the battlefield. It'd also mean us getting to send out militaries and integrating the Hill/Deep dwarves into our society as an active tool. I'm hoping for tighter formation control and smarter enemies too, and maybe seeing non-combatants on the field as support personnel. All we get right now is raids, really. What we need is true sieges, with engineers and workers building walls and fortifying enemy positions to block us in.

Being able to truly fight wars shall be glorious and brutal all rolled up into one. Hide while you still can, because once things get fixed, you'll have nowhere left to turtle without serious defenses besides a closed door.

Nasty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2014, 07:58:44 am »

The Wrestler grabs The Elf Merchant by the nose with his *steel spear*!

huh?

Splitting squads into pairs helped kick the sparring up several notches. Hasn't improved weapon skill very much at all. Almost all wrestling going on.

Someone just threw his partner by the toe, helmet deflected the impact buuuuut... upper body exploded in gore. Dead. :D

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2014, 06:15:31 pm »

The last major version military seemed to be mostly okay. Combat was alright, etc.
but now. it's a mess again
I stationed an archer expecting him to shoot the undead through a fortification. Instead he climbed over the wall and tried to go hand to hand with them.

He even had decent archery skill. What a joke.

Extreme Boyheat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2014, 08:00:41 pm »

Well now I have 20 Legendary Observers and all my militia-dwarves are now administrators. What.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2014, 05:24:55 am »

Sieges are out of control my fort is like 3 years old, this is my fourth siege.

They are just non-stop. The siege tag disappears for like a week, a caravan shows up, and then another siege.

This is pretty stupid.

the last one, undead, lasted a year, the siege tag disappeared, but the 8 undead stayed on the map. It's been off the screen about 2 months. Another wave of undead showed up. a necromancer and like 40 undead.

This is borderline unplayable, I'm in like a tame, calm area. Not some evil hole.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2014, 06:09:39 am »

They are just non-stop. The siege tag disappears for like a week, a caravan shows up, and then another siege.

Sounds like you embarked in a hotly-contested area.  Now that armies are "real", they get tracked through the real world instead of just randomly spawning at "appropriate" moments.  If there are a lot of bandits around, or a full fledged army on the march, you will get the situation you describe... if my interpretation of Ye Wordes of Ye Toadde is correct.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2014, 06:36:04 am »

Sounds like you embarked in a hotly-contested area.  Now that armies are "real", they get tracked through the real world instead of just randomly spawning at "appropriate" moments.  If there are a lot of bandits around, or a full fledged army on the march, you will get the situation you describe... if my interpretation of Ye Wordes of Ye Toadde is correct.

it was described as a tame calm area, nothing like that. I don't even think I'm that close to any cities.

The worst part is they do nothing. Even with the fort wide open they won't attack. They just stand around the edge of the map for a year. No way I can fight 40 undead at this point. Even with adamantine weapons and armor I've only had time to barely train 3 dwarves. Even together they can barely take down one stray undead. They get exhausted by the time they've hacked him up.

The last stray caused one of the soldiers to go off and attack the main group. No idea why, they're really far away but after taking out one near the fort one soldier decided to trek a good 60-80 tiles away to fight the main group. he didn't make it.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2014, 07:10:05 am »

I doubt sparring and training is meant to get the skills up too fast anyway.

I found the best way to train dwarves was to have a nice bunch of medical dwarves, catch goblins in cages, take away their weapons and release them in a room with a dwarf armed with a training weapon(wood crossbow for hammerdwarves). The first two or three times, it needed to end early due to some injury but after that a few goblins got the dwarf to legendary.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2014, 01:16:17 pm »

All sparring seems to be wrestling despite toting exceptional steel spear. Somehow a little spearwork does leak in there, just very very very slowly.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7063
Quote from: Toady One
Ah, it appears one of my more recent changes to support multiple wields had the unintended side effect of screwing up everything else. Hopefully it'll be better for next time.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2014, 11:46:27 pm »

support multiple wields
Does that mean giving your dwarves more than one spear will stop them from wrestling? Or more than one crossbow to get them to shoot?
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3