Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Unholy Murk Instakilled my Fortress (40.03)  (Read 15562 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Unholy Murk Instakilled my Fortress (40.03)
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2014, 06:46:20 pm »

No, tree leaves and fruit falling leaves little clouds of contaminant.

If the tree's data is somehow messed up, the game may be selecting said deadly murk as the material to make these item clouds from. This would explain its seasonal influence.

Balderdash, the only logical explanation is vengeful ghosts.

What I noticed was immediate contamination upon entering an outdoor above ground tile which is behavior of unnatural rain. What I didn't notice was a pile of unholy murk underneath any tree. If one type of tree is causing problems we may be able to identify it by copying the raws of one type of tree on the site over all others on the site. If I'm right then all but one combination should result in normal nontoxic tree gunk.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2014, 07:07:26 pm »

Please update the bug report with any findings.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2014, 07:12:16 pm »

My experiment failed. I counted Willow, Maple, Peach, Pecan, Persimmon, Sand Pear as the varieties of trees on the map and swapped all of their raws for Willow raws and found the unholy murk and instant contamination was still occuring I repeated with Maple and had the same result. I'm not sure about how exactly everything is wired but that rules out most of my theories based on jacked up raws as they pertain to trees.

Krandall

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2014, 07:33:41 pm »

I'm not sure this is related, but I recently reclaimed a WG ruin in a (neutral) Wildnerness biome, and periodically it would rain dwarf blood on exactly one (varying) tree, usually pretty far from my dwarves; nobody ever saw it or got bad thoughts from it, so it was purely an aesthetic effect.

Admittedly less horrifying that a lethal concentration of Ebola Aerosol, but still, freaky.

Similarly, I have a rain of pungent ooze up in the treetops on a new fort in serene and calm biomes. None of the rain comes down to the ground level, it's happening on the very top levels of the trees. I'm not sure if this is related to the unholy murk, or random husking, but it appears evil weather is happening in non-evil biomes. Should I make a new bug report, or add this to the bug report for this thread?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2014, 07:35:38 pm »

Means little but I embarked on the evil beach a short distance from your fort and discovered clouds of unholy murk. No new theories.

Is it possible there was a tree direcrly over your entrance before you started building?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2014, 07:38:40 pm »

Similarly, I have a rain of pungent ooze up in the treetops on a new fort in serene and calm biomes. None of the rain comes down to the ground level, it's happening on the very top levels of the trees. I'm not sure if this is related to the unholy murk, or random husking, but it appears evil weather is happening in non-evil biomes. Should I make a new bug report, or add this to the bug report for this thread?

Same report, please -- sounds pretty similar.

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2014, 07:45:22 pm »

Were you getting any kind of notification? Did the game tell you that it started raining Pungent Ooze, or did you just happen to notice?
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

Krandall

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2014, 07:49:04 pm »

Were you getting any kind of notification? Did the game tell you that it started raining Pungent Ooze, or did you just happen to notice?

I received a notification by the game, and was able to zoom to the location of the rain from the announcement.

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2014, 08:25:54 pm »

I received a notification by the game, and was able to zoom to the location of the rain from the announcement.

Hmm. Haven't been getting any notifications. It's rained regular old vanilla rain, and naught else. Still probably related, though...It would be nice to figure out the source of the Unholy Murk that is spreading the Ebola Aerosol.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2014, 09:46:53 pm »

No, tree leaves and fruit falling leaves little clouds of contaminant.

If you find an unholy murk tree, I want to know where, so I can stay Very Far Away Indeed.
Hippomane Mancinella isn't quite as bad as the unholy murk seems to be, but it's not that far from it.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2014, 10:20:45 pm »

Hmm. Well, I've continued the fortress for a while. I made through the winter and into spring, (with my sole survivor occasionally flickering between King and Expedition leader with apparently no rhyme or reason, but that's a different bug report) and the new migrant wave came in. They seemed to be able to walk around and even move the still Aerosol Ebola covered corpses without issue, so I went ahead and let them in.

Then a month (or so) passed, and the Lurgy was back. Same as before, those that were on the surface are dead in a (near) instant, while those below ground are unaffected. I even had them burying corpses for a while before it came back with no troubles. Also, I looked underground, and I don't see anything unusual down as for as the third cave layer. So I'm back to the "buggy invisible weather theory." Either that, or acts of gods. Particularly vindictive gods.

By the way, I have been playing with Phoebus' tileset, would that have anything to do with this little mystery?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2014, 10:30:56 pm »

Hmm. Well, I've continued the fortress for a while. I made through the winter and into spring, (with my sole survivor occasionally flickering between King and Expedition leader with apparently no rhyme or reason, but that's a different bug report) and the new migrant wave came in. They seemed to be able to walk around and even move the still Aerosol Ebola covered corpses without issue, so I went ahead and let them in.

Then a month (or so) passed, and the Lurgy was back. Same as before, those that were on the surface are dead in a (near) instant, while those below ground are unaffected. I even had them burying corpses for a while before it came back with no troubles. Also, I looked underground, and I don't see anything unusual down as for as the third cave layer. So I'm back to the "buggy invisible weather theory." Either that, or acts of gods. Particularly vindictive gods.

By the way, I have been playing with Phoebus' tileset, would that have anything to do with this little mystery?

You would have had to do something severely wrong but I replaced your raws with clean ones and there was no observable effect so I'm suspicious of that as an answer.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2014, 10:32:24 pm »

Ninja'd.

If phoebus is one of those tile sets that changes the raws then it could be part of the problem.

Perhaps the Unholy Murk is only a solid or liquid at very low temperatures which is why it doesn't stick around for long? Maybe you are getting trees dropping some sort of toxic dust cloud that is immediately boiling off into the air? I'm not familiar enough with this aspect of the physics engine to know if this could be the cause but I know you can get forgotten beasts that have deadly dust that boils at ambient temperatures.

I assume you aren't getting any sort of weather alerts popping up during or before the mysterious doom appears?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:38:07 pm by Melting Sky »

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2014, 10:39:07 pm »

The only thing I can contribute, is that in v34.11 I had a fort where evil rain actually husked animals.
Just found that bug report 0005226: Embarking on a terrifying region sometimes turns enitre party into mist thralls due to rain effects..

Maybe that is/was related to this bug?
Things of note back then were:
- Intersection of two biomes, 1 with evil rain and 1 with evil clouds. Both had reanimation
- The rain eventually stopped husking, only causing extreme pain
- The rain might have changed back after the first cloud went through
- No mods or tilesets, just changed the names of dwarves in the language file

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2014, 11:47:22 pm »

Ninja'd.

If phoebus is one of those tile sets that changes the raws then it could be part of the problem.

Perhaps the Unholy Murk is only a solid or liquid at very low temperatures which is why it doesn't stick around for long? Maybe you are getting trees dropping some sort of toxic dust cloud that is immediately boiling off into the air? I'm not familiar enough with this aspect of the physics engine to know if this could be the cause but I know you can get forgotten beasts that have deadly dust that boils at ambient temperatures.

I assume you aren't getting any sort of weather alerts popping up during or before the mysterious doom appears?
Nope, no weather alerts or popups. I haven't seen any clouds of stuff...so far as I can tell, the dwarves are clean one moment, drenched in Unholy Murk the next.

If it is boiling off, then would it still be a coating on the corpses? Or would the coating boil off? I'm not terribly familiar with how such things work.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5