Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress from Scratch: 0.40.x [Contributors welcome!]  (Read 37734 times)

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile

Since the Chromaberries seem to be functional and the errorlog isn't screaming at me anymore, I've uploaded plant_CYB.txt to the raws! Chromaberries are officially(?) part of the project. Woo!
Everything's in the news today

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

whelp, in your copying you deleted 'entity_CER' at the top of your file and replaced it with nothing. DF needs that believe it or not.

you need to add entity_BUG to the top of the file.

Also, you are stretching the definition of 'whole bunch of modifications'. You changed [TRANSLATION:CHIRPY_CER] to [TRANSLATION:LANGUAGE_ALVAH_BUG] and you changed [TOWN] TO [CAVE_DETAILED]

please at least change the [ADVENTURE_TIER:] as Cerapter's note says right on the copied file, and give them a unique weapon or ability (I.E. Only make them active at night and give them perfect vision, make them hulk out at a certain emotional level, some unique feature) before you turn them in.

Or better yet, why not make them an animal race? We need more creatures to lurk in the dark places of the world.

@ cyberTripping

num num num, I wonder what Chromatic brew tastes like? Metallic-y tang or a Jamba juice explosion?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 01:15:40 pm by DVNO »
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile

If the leading two ideas in the plant are to be believed, glass and cherries.
Delicious.

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I love how my name gets typoed all the time.
Though this is the first time I've been called Carpenter.

---

Also, anyone checked the help lately?
Download the data folder as well, it's in there.

---

Also, can I have everyone who makes a creature or plant write up a short description about it? I want to fill the help file with such short descriptions.
For example, here's the Chirps' description from the help file:
The Chirps

The Chirps are one of the many humanoid inhabitants of Terra Nihalgai, and also one of the many to form civilisations.

They are best described as a mixture of two Earth creatures, the "goat" and the "bird":
They have (among many other features) a beak, they lay eggs, have two feathery tails, and hooved legs.

Their culture places great emphasis on every individual having as equal chances in achieving positions as possible:
their local rulers called "controllers" are elected by the public, and there is always three of them to ensure that
not one may gain total control.

In a similar vein, their overall rulers are called "governors" and are elected the same way as the controllers.

They dislike stoicism and general reservedness. Most of them are just as open with their emotions as they are with
their plans. This puts them at odds with any race that doesn't go "I'll murder you sometime, just sayin'" whenever
they disapprove of somebody. Obviously, they also make bad spies and thus don't use them.

...But we guess that if they ever did, they would come with neon signs on their heads or something.

Heh.

Icon: C

EDIT:
Also, I'm considering making a "compendium" for the sci-fi version, so there's a succint source of info for all things flora, fauna, and mineral. Would anyone be interested in it?
Whoops, sorry, just saw this.
I already did it, the Helpfile speaks about Terra Nihalgai as well.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 02:23:48 pm by Cerapter »
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

buggy213

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

The files in help seem to be unreadable by any application I have. Are they .txts or docx's?

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Neither, mu ha ha ha ha ha HA HA HA HAA HAA HAAA HAAA!

...The previous thread had a script to convert all those files to txt and back. I used that.
But you can view them in-game by, well, copying the files I uploaded in the data folder to your data folder and going to the help in-game by pressing '?' as I just said.

EDIT:
Instructions on how to access the new help files.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 02:39:26 pm by Cerapter »
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile

Quote from: Iluchond tree
Iluchond trees

Iluchond trees are average sized trees. They are native to Terra Nihalgai.

Their most noticable features are their cyan leaves and their fuchsia colored flowers and fruits.
They are well known for their salty fruits, which are brewable and considered a delicacy among Terra Nihalgai's native inhabitants.

Icon: Standard tree icons.

Quote from: Cave Rose
Cave roses

Cave roses are beautiful flowers with a lovely sweet fragrance.

They are believed to be a hybrid of an extinct flower native to THX 1138 and an earthen rose, brought here by interstellar colonists.
The darkness of the caves they live in has caused them to lose all color, exept for their flowers, which are still bright red.
Their oil they produce is extremely valuable because it smells sugary and is very relaxing.

Icon:☼

Am i doing this right?

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: Iluchond tree
Iluchond trees

Iluchond trees are average sized trees. They are native to Terra Nihalgai.

Their most noticable features are their cyan leaves and their fuchsia colored flowers and fruits.
They are well known for their salty fruits, which are brewable and considered a delicacy among Terra Nihalgai's native inhabitants.

Icon: Standard tree icons.

Quote from: Cave Rose
Cave roses

Cave roses are beautiful flowers with a lovely sweet fragrance.

They are believed to be a hybrid of an extinct flower native to THX 1138 and an earthen rose, brought here by interstellar colonists.
The darkness of the caves they live in has caused them to lose all color, exept for their flowers, which are still bright red.
Their oil they produce is extremely valuable because it smells sugary and is very relaxing.

Icon:☼

Am i doing this right?
Yepperoni! I'll put them in.

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile

I'll try...

Chromaberries

Small, translucent berries that refract sunlight through them, creating beautiful rainbows within themselves and on the ground below. One of the many prismatic specimens that arrived via meteor from the long dead system L-1647.

Icon: :

cT confirmed for least creative

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Chromaberries are now in the help file.

By the way, both the Flora and the Fauna page will look very sparse. That's because there's no way to start a new line without making an empty one as well, except by links. When we'll have links for every creature and plant, it'll be a nice list.

EDIT: Should we rewrite the language files? You know, insert some more words (I mean, Halflings are in the dictionary), for example, or make new translation files for every race...?

buggy213

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I think there is a tool that automatically makes a language given a few words as a starting point so making more languages would be trivial.
Lembdas

The lembdas plant is a tuber native to Terra Nihalgai. Given that it is very abundant and only takes 18 days to grow, this plant is a important food source for lots of creatures. It is believed that the lembdas plant first existed on THX 1138 before the plant was transported over via  Moles with the spore containing a proto-lembdas.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 04:18:00 pm by buggy213 »

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This mod has a Sci-fi version now? Huh.

Which one is further along?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile

This mod has a Sci-fi version now? Huh.

Which one is further along?

Fantasy. It's built off of the world from the last thread, so it has quite a head start on the newer sci-fi version.

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile

In contrast, the sci-fi version is less horribly broken, since it's properly updated all the way.

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sci-fi is never horribly broken, because CERAPTER THE BUG ANNIHILATOR NEVER SLEEPS.
Here I am, 1 am, driving test in 9 hours, and I'm bragging on the forums.
GG, me.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18