Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress from Scratch: 0.40.x [Contributors welcome!]  (Read 37739 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile

Right, so this fort may already be a bust. Not even Summer either.

A chirp drowned in a pool when the water thawed.

I built a couple of bridges so that the chirps could get over the rivers, but a few of them decided to try and path through the waterfall.

I sent a miner to build a channel at both ends of the waterfall so that those who fall can get out from the bottom. When one got out of the river, it immediately fled to the safety of a nearby tree. That was overlooking the river. It would then fall out of the tree into the river, and repeat this pattern until it eventually drowned. At one point there were three chirps that were doing this.

A farmer has gone SRM and the head scout has just killed three of the four animals in a tantrum. Punched a hound so hard its head exploded. The spiders didn't fare much better, being spiders. The second hound is still alive, though it got launched by something not specified by the report.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 03:05:52 pm by BlackFlyme »

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The modding rules are a taaaaad bit out of date.
As in, it references 260 pages of the previous thread that started in the previous version.
See: references to turns.

Currently, you just make a creature or anything, try to make it as bugless as you can, but if you can't, we will fix it.
Maybe the only things are to (as I said) make sure as few bugs as possible (we will fix it for you if you can't), try copying/imitating the vanilla files as much as you can, and make sure it's balanced.
If you're making creatures, use the Arena to determine how balanced your creatures are.

If you absolutely can't make something but want it in, upload half the file and tell us your idea and we'll try to finalise it. At least, I will. Some people here already noticed I never sleep. :P

And also, here's a quote from the very first post:
Remember; it's more productive to throw things in than to ask for permission around here. Be bold and have fun.

EDIT: All the posts I see on this forum makes me think I'm the only one who can keep a settlement alive. I know I'm not, especially since I just learnt Fortress mode only to test the chirps, but still.
Anyway, the Chirps are kind of a glass cannons: if they manage not to stunned / killed before the first three attacks, they generally can keep going and also win.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 03:17:22 pm by Cerapter »
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile

The more I look into body templates and the likes, the less I understand.
I'm starting to think I should stick to fiddling with the normal game for now, but I do hope when I'm more experienced I can come back to this.
Everything's in the news today

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ha ha. :D

The vanilla game uses arguments in many places for flexibility, coming from that to here might be more confusing.
I suggest reading the wiki on tokens to gain a better understanding of the underlying mechanisms.
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you could just make something as simple as trees, or plants, or maybe some simple fish or metal? That would be invaluable, cyberTripping.

Trust me, we need the small things right now. It's currently very hard to sustain a fort because there is so little food actually modded in yet. Rivers and ponds are especially devoid of edible life. 
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Yah, after you get all that guff I will go and make videos too.

(Did the bribery work? I hope it did...)
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile

Good to hear my mediocrity could actually be useful. I have some ideas swimming around my head now, of which I'll work on in a bit, for metals that could be added, in particular a very dense metal that would be too soft for weapons unless alloyed (but that doesn't mean you couldn't use the raw metal as a projectile to hurtle at the enemy, a la cobaltite), which would harden it, but make it a bit lighter in the process. I'll scan the current materials in a bit, and then try to work on making some to complement what's there. (Read: try)

Edit: Read about material modding. Stared at raws. Felt overwhelmed. Resolved to try making a plant first. Realized that they too needed material templates. Wept openly.

If I stare at the wiki enough, I'll understand it in time. Eventually.

Edit 2: I'm just gonna copy DF's plant mat templates and edit them a tiny bit to make elves cry.

MORE EDITS: What do I do if I want to let you guys make sure my files won't implode the game in an unexpected way before I add them to the drive?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 03:31:24 am by cyberTripping »

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

look for an error log in your local game? Should be right around your DF.exe? If you want to be extra sure throw that in the first so we can take a look.

That's for hard game crashing errors. But for how it feel gameplay wise? The on;ly way to know is to actually play it.

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile

So I can't get the things to show up. I've added default DF plant mats as well for the time being, will edit them later, but here's the actual plant raws:
(Note: when testing, I allowed all seasons and ramped up frequency before genning the world)
Code: [Select]
[PLANT:CHROMABERRY] (edited sweet pod raws because making something literally from scratch would put me in an infirmary. In retrospect, I should've used fisher berries. Oh well.)
[NAME:chromaberry][NAME_PLURAL:chromaberries][ADJ:chromaberry]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:4]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:DRINK_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:DRINK]
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SEED_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SEED]
[BASIC_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL]
[PICKED_TILE:248][PICKED_COLOR:7:0:0]
[GROWDUR:500][VALUE:5]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:DRINK:PLANT_ALCOHOL_TEMPLATE] (I don't know what to reference here for a non-alcoholic drink, help)
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen chromatic brew]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:chromatic brew]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling chromatic brew]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:4]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:7:0:0]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[DRINK:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:DRINK]
[EXTRACT_BARREL:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:EXTRACT]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SEED:SEED_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:1]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[SEED:chromaberry pit:chromaberry pits:0:0:1:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SEED]
[SUMMER][AUTUMN]
[FREQUENCY: 100]
[CLUSTERSIZE:5]
[PREFSTRING:prismatic properties]
[WET]
[BIOME:NOT_FREEZING]
[SHRUB_TILE:58]
[DEAD_SHRUB_TILE:58]
[SHRUB_COLOR:6:0:1]
[DEAD_SHRUB_COLOR:6:0:0]

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

is this a snippet or the whole thing?

If it's the whole thing; good news, it's going to work fine.

plant_name_of_your_txt_file

and

[OBJECT:PLANT]

need to be added to the top is all. AND only once if you decide to put more plant in the txt file.

plant_name_of_your_txt_file is just for the game to get a bearing of where it is when it reads the raws, and [OBJECT:X] just lets the game understand what it is creating, or parsing. Either one is accurate. So, as long as something is underneath OBJECT_PLANT it knows what you want these random tokens to become, and then you can even put something like [OBJECT:CREATURE] at the end of your plant file to make the game interpret your set of tokens into something totally different.     

Heck, I think you could put all of the vanilla raws into a single book sized txt file if you wanted (theoretically, not suggesting you do) and just 'Chapter' it with [OBJECT:X] tags and it would still work.

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, putting everything into a single text file would actually speed things up, seeing as that would be the only thing the game has to refer to, ever. Also would make problems finding easier.

However, we're not a Masterwork-sized mod to need such anti-lag measures, and we're actually 6-8 people collaborating on Google Drive of all things, so making only a single file would make overwriting each other's stuff by accident hella lot easier.

So let's keep it divided.

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right, of course. I'm just illustrating what those very important tokens do, I'm not advocating we put it all in a giant file.

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, hey, it works.

It works?
Victory! At least, at making the berry appear. Its usefulness in beverage making is questionable, considering all it can make is alcohol right now (I think I remember seeing a nonalcoholic drink reaction somewhere, how would I use that instead?)
But hey, we all start somewhere.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Ooh! A second vanilla-plant-turned-different-plant(that I know of)! And its the first for this version!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile

Gathering the plant yields nothing (or at least, it doesn't seem to), so I can't test brewing. I did see the pits (seeds) in the advanced embark screen earlier though, so I'm slowly making progress.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18