Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: war dog training 'no creature'  (Read 1054 times)

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
war dog training 'no creature'
« on: July 15, 2014, 02:16:55 pm »

Playing the newest version 0.40.03. I have a few tame dogs, build an animal training zone, gave a dwarf the animal training profession and then checked the dogs in the animal menu to be trained into war dogs.
The announcement is then spammed by 'Urist cancels train stray dog (tame) for war: no creature' x50. Urist and the dog are standing on the same spot inside the animal training zone.
I did successfully train war dogs in 0.40.01. Also, Urist has no clue about animal training but I don't think this should make a difference.
Any idea what might be causing this or is this a bug?
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: war dog training 'no creature'
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 08:50:30 pm »

There was an answer to it: pen the dogs in 1x1 animal pens. What happens is that the animal trainers are going to where the dogs were when the task was first set, instead of where the dogs were when the trainer got there.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 11:13:46 pm »

I don't know for sure, but this seems to happen whenever there is an interruption of the training. My next fort in going to try to move all the dogs to a room with a door before I start training and see what happens.

ond_magiker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 09:06:13 am »

My embark dogs refuse to be trained no matter what I try - put them in a big pasture or a 1x1, or chain them up. Their offspring receive war training without any trouble whatsoever in a large pasture.

Malkyne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 05:06:06 pm »

There was an answer to it: pen the dogs in 1x1 animal pens. What happens is that the animal trainers are going to where the dogs were when the task was first set, instead of where the dogs were when the trainer got there.

This sounded like a great idea, but I'm having no luck with it.  I can watch my trainer march right up to the animal that needs training, and move directly onto that animal's square.  I have even sometimes seen her briefly free the animal from the pen, so that it moved off of it by one square.  Then, she complains that there is "no creature," about 9 times, and wanders off.  For me, this seems to happen for ALL trainable animals, regardless of origin.

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 05:34:48 pm »

it's fixed in 04, get the new version.

(watch out for trees)

Getix Kain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 02:47:36 am »

it's fixed in 04, get the new version.

(watch out for trees)

Confirming both things Symmetry said.

The animal training system was broken in 40.03 (Can't Find Animal error) but it works fine in 40.04.

Watch out for trees.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz