Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Coal - the myth, the legend.  (Read 4725 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: Coal - the myth, the legend.
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 03:59:21 pm »

Do we even NEED coal? Doesn't one tree give ~25 logs? I believe its dwarfier to chop down a forest and burn it then just using coal. If it gives elves apoplexies, its usually dwarfy.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 04:06:37 pm »

The previous posters have it, coal is found ONLY in sedimentary rock. You will primarily find sedimentary rocks in swamps, low-lands with high drainage, near an ocean, or potentially near a river. You will rarely if EVER find coal on a mountain, it just wont happen.

That said, embarking on a mountain means you should probably just dig straight to magma anyway.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 04:20:11 pm »

The previous posters have it, coal is found ONLY in sedimentary rock. You will primarily find sedimentary rocks in swamps, low-lands with high drainage, near an ocean, or potentially near a river. You will rarely if EVER find coal on a mountain, it just wont happen.

That said, embarking on a mountain means you should probably just dig straight to magma anyway.

Kewl, I'll have to try THAT....fml
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 04:45:35 pm »

Strange what people say/believe...

I nearly always embark on flat areas, swamps are my favourite, and almost never hit coal, and I believe that you're more sure to find coal by embarking on a mountain! Certainly you do find it on mountains sometimes, often the veins are immediately exposed on the surface.

I have very occasionally found coal on my swamp embarks - but it is rare - usually it is contained in aquifer layers (i.e. sandstone) which make it a bit of a stupid dwarf trick to mine out.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 06:31:55 pm »

Mineral generation seems to have been changed since DF2012, these days I usually get a lot of whatever i get. Be it zinc, or gold, or not a single thing.
Magma is overrated.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 02:05:15 am »

Strange what people say/believe...

I nearly always embark on flat areas, swamps are my favourite, and almost never hit coal, and I believe that you're more sure to find coal by embarking on a mountain! Certainly you do find it on mountains sometimes, often the veins are immediately exposed on the surface.

I have very occasionally found coal on my swamp embarks - but it is rare - usually it is contained in aquifer layers (i.e. sandstone) which make it a bit of a stupid dwarf trick to mine out.

You're probably not adjusting the mineral scarcity value of your world gens.  The default is 2500, which is VERY rare minerals, and a generally small amount.  Lower that amount to more like 700 or less to get more diversity, better chance of finding coal.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Verjigorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2014, 09:47:59 pm »

Man, Luck's gotta play a part!  I just embarked on a site that's got Bitnimuos Coal, Lemonite, Tetrahedrite, Cassetirite, Sphalerite, Cobaltite, and problably some other form of tite hanging out.   And that's just visible from the surface.   No Aquifer.  Oh, and Marble. 

Holy crap, it looks like my metal industry is going to go through the roof.   If I'm not mistaken, this means I can make Copper, Bronze, Brass, Iron, Pig Iron and Steel, relatively easily.   The brook that flows through the top NW corner has a drop of 13 z levels, carving a nice chasm out of the mountain.   the brook will allow me to have a regular source of water through-out the year:   I plan on building some form of water storage system. 

Fist site of 40.04.   Here's to the inevitable fun!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 12:17:47 am »

Yep, I always embark on flux. That's why it seems odd. May just be a run of random luck.

Make sure you turn up the mineral frequency up, in the range of 100-300 on a custom world, where lower values produce more minerals, though it will cause trouble with the embark screen showing flux. With very abundant minerals, the embark screen will not mention the existence of flux even if there is flux on the map.

Toady just patched this bug in 0.40.04  :)

I did some research in 0.34.11 into the frequency of sedimentary layers. It should still hold true: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136999.0
TLDR; If volcanism less than 90, you have 80% chance of sedimentary in a biome, oceans are special.

Elevation doesn't matter so you can have coal on mountains. Swamps/rivers don't matter in DF.

Do we even NEED coal? Doesn't one tree give ~25 logs? I believe its dwarfier to chop down a forest and burn it then just using coal. If it gives elves apoplexies, its usually dwarfy.

Say a map tile has 3 z-levels with 3 bituminous coal veins each level. Let's say each vein has 100 coal squares, so you get about 900 squares. Say you don't have magma smelting so each boulder is 8 coke net, and the drop rate is 25% for boulders, that leads to 225 boulders and 1800 coke. At least 900 mining jobs + 225 smelting jobs => 1125 jobs, not including hauling. Unless you cheat, you have to go digging to search out and find the veins.

Say the same map tile is flat and heavily forested above. I counted 70 trees on a map tile in my 0.40.04 jungle fort. If each drops 25 logs on average, you get 1750 wood and therefore 1750 charcoal (close enough to the 1800 above). At least 70 woodcutting jobs + 1750 wood burning jobs => 1820 jobs, not including hauling. At first pass it requires 62% more labour/time to get charcoal from a map than to get coke. However the location of the surface trees is known at the start without cheating, and trees are renewable/sustainable.

In conclusion a thick forest has about the same amount of fuel as a coal mine, and the forests are much more common.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 07:16:19 pm »

Although it's very common to get more than three veins of coal in one place.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 08:55:59 pm »

Well, i found coal more hard to find than gold or precious gems. Bituminous Coal and Lignite are a pain on the ass to get, really!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2014, 09:05:41 pm »

Well, i found coal more hard to find than gold or precious gems. Bituminous Coal and Lignite are a pain on the ass to get, really!
They can be. Not always - you just have to know where to look.

Although it's very common to get more than three veins of coal in one place.
True. And woot, you're still using that avatar I made. :D
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2014, 09:26:06 pm »

In my last fortress I found a shitload of coal and lignite. It was fun digging all of that out and smelting it into coke.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2014, 09:29:08 pm »

Sedimentary layers are mutually exclusive with igneous extrusive layers in this game.

for... some reason... (this has no basis in reality, as volcanoes could easily coexist with sedimentary stone and in fact usually would, unless they're BRAND NEW island arc volcanic mountains. edit: second comment wasn't related to volcanoes. Got carried away.)

Anyway, the counterintuitive result is that if you're embarking on volcanoes all the time, you'll probably never find coal, or will be much less likely to do so. So if you've been doing that, there's your answer. Stop embarking on volcanoes. If you haven't been embarking on volcanoes, then I'm not sure what to tell you. You should have stumbled across it at some point.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 09:33:18 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2014, 09:33:28 pm »

And woot, you're still using that avatar I made. :D
That's because it's awesome.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2014, 01:39:03 am »

After upgrading from 0.34.07 to 0.40.03 I created a world, and immediately (tunnel into the cliff) found three things I believe I've never seen in nature in previous versions:

1. Bituminous Coal
2. Gypsum
3. Fire Clay (this one was actually visible on surface)

I always embark near rivers or brooks. I was especially moved by the coal find, because I also considered it a kind of myth.

I also always had more luck with gold than for example lignite (4/4 embarks gold found, 1/4 embarks lignite found for example), despite preferring woody valleys with plenty of vegetation and water sources, so theoretically ideal places for coal.
Pages: 1 [2]