Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Coal - the myth, the legend.  (Read 4724 times)

Gojira1000

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands a glass bed? Seriously?
    • View Profile
Coal - the myth, the legend.
« on: July 15, 2014, 11:58:04 am »

Is it just me, or does coal remain rare as diamonds - moreso, actually. Perhaps it's all been used up in diamond production?
   With the new trees its not really an issue as you'll have magma before you run out of Presto-logs, but it's odd. Anyone else noticing the lack?
"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." - Oscar Wilde

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
Re: Coal - the myth, the legend.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 11:58:54 am »

My first fort had both Lignite and Bituminous Coal on the surface. Maybe it's just you.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 12:13:06 pm »

Coal only occurs in sedimentary layers, which are often associated with "flux stone" on the site locator (although this can also indicate marble, which is found in metamorphic layers). Consider increasing the mineral occurence in worldgen to make it more likely that any given site with sedimentary rock will have coal.

Gojira1000

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands a glass bed? Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 12:19:12 pm »

Yep, I always embark on flux. That's why it seems odd. May just be a run of random luck.
"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." - Oscar Wilde

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 12:27:44 pm »

Yep, I always embark on flux. That's why it seems odd. May just be a run of random luck.

Make sure you turn up the mineral frequency up, in the range of 100-300 on a custom world, where lower values produce more minerals, though it will cause trouble with the embark screen showing flux. With very abundant minerals, the embark screen will not mention the existence of flux even if there is flux on the map.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 12:38:44 pm »

Ya I've had the same issue, since I started playing DF, not a single embark has had lignite or coal.
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 01:12:22 pm »

It will probably help if you embark on a mountainside if you're looking for minerals, soil and flux.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 01:21:53 pm »

You can only find coal by

1) dumb luck
2) graduate degree in geology
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

CatButcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 01:23:15 pm »

Several of my embarks have been overflowing with coal.  I think it might be your dumb un-luck.

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 01:39:22 pm »

wouldn't dumb un-luck be luck?

It will probably help if you embark on a mountainside if you're looking for minerals, soil and flux.

Kewl ill have to try that.
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

Verjigorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 02:16:23 pm »

I've had better success looking for coal at the bottom of swams and watersheds. 

Detharon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 02:16:44 pm »

I thought it's just me being unlucky. Contrary to what I'd expect, I hardly ever find any coal, but I keep finding... gold veins.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 02:36:29 pm »

This embark (the second one in the post) works for 40.03 as well.

Here's layer 133 (Dolomite Layer stone, Hematite Ore, Lignite Veins) , embark layer is 137.
Spoiler: picture (click to show/hide)
The dark/unrevealed areas are aquifer. (tiny!)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 02:44:56 pm »

If you can't find coal, you should look for biomes that are relatively flat, like low-lying swamps and forests. These areas are generally more likely to have sedimentary rock layers, and in turn, coal.
As always when looking for specific minerals, DFHack's prospect tool is your friend. It hasn't been updated for the .40 release yet, though.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 03:52:14 pm »

From what I have seen increasing mineral frequency doesn't increase the how likely a site is to have coal but rather how much of it there will be if it is present. I haven't thoroughly tested this specifically for coal and my observations were primarily from the last version but I don't think any of the geology code has been rewritten.
Pages: [1] 2