Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you participate in a Twitch Adventure Mode Broadcast?

Having a turn at the game
- 10 (40%)
Writing down interesting parts of what's going on
- 0 (0%)
Watching and suggesting next steps
- 10 (40%)
Watching the game
- 4 (16%)
Not Interested
- 1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Twitch Game  (Read 2280 times)

iajrz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Twitch Game
« on: July 15, 2014, 10:43:42 am »

Hello, everyone.

I just wanted to know how popular the idea of having a Twitch (or youtube) broadcast of people playing Adventure mode. The options are ordered from most commitment to least commitment, although that's immediately obvious.
Any ad revenue (unlikely, but what do you know) would have a huge percentage (at least 60% after fees) donated to Toady and Threetoe.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Twitch Game
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 11:00:31 am »

Sounds fun, although I have never broadcast on either Twitch or YT and would have no idea how to do so.
Can't be too hard though, right? I think it would be entertaining watching each other die horribly. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

iajrz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 11:32:46 am »

I'm thinking of setting up a Virtual Machine and give log-in info to players. Everything would be set up so that with remote log in you just need to start playing.

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 11:34:53 am »

I would love to see this. What would be awesome is if we got like a turn list going, so that it becomes a succession game on screen. That would be epic.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 02:45:01 pm »

Something like Twitch Plays Pokemon, where the game input is taken from the chat, would be interesting.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 10:15:36 pm »

This would be really cool. I'm terrible at adventure mode, but it would be cool to watch.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 10:21:03 pm »

This sounds interesting. TPP-like formatting would likely be impossible, but streaming DF is cool
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 01:56:42 am »

If you do this, I'd suggest setting it up with a graphics pack using 34.11, otherwise the uninitiated might quickly switch channe;s about, say, 5 seconds after trying to figure out what the hell is going on.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Dwarfy

• Bay Watcher
  • Wanted: Dead or with Chives
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 07:54:15 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

NEVER MIND. Sorry, misread the idea.  :o

Adventure mode might be cool, particularly having multiple adventurers in a single world, say a Smaller map with Civs and Sites both on Very High. Particularly with a nice Medium history, so there's plenty to find and explore.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 07:57:55 am by Dwarfy »
"Necromancy is sort of like Jaywalking. It's not illegal, just frowned upon."

skezixx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 08:04:42 am »

Hell yeah I would likw to watch that
We must raise money. DF needed a legal defense fund eventually anyway. Concerned parents will find us eventually.

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 08:17:03 am »

Something like Twitch Plays Pokemon, where the game input is taken from the chat, would be interesting.

Oh plz no.

I'd sit and watch the arbitrary scrambling of those poor helpless uber schizophrenic minded adventurers, as they aimlessly amble to their unpredictable random deaths non-stop until I'd have a 4000 page academic paper on Chaos Theory written on top of my desk.

I wouldn't even realize i'm writing it, it would just materialize as I try and make sense of it all. 

It's like watching a train wreck you coulden't look away.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 04:49:09 pm by DVNO »
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

iajrz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 09:55:20 am »

Twitch Plays Dwarf Fortress would be a nightmare, mostly because of the enormous amount of commands available. And, unlike Pokemon, there're no huge amount of people who know how to beat the game by heart. (Not that DF can be beaten, but you get what I'm saying).

I would love to see this. What would be awesome is if we got like a turn list going, so that it becomes a succession game on screen. That would be epic.
That's the wave I'd like to ride.

I now added a "No" option to the poll. Whoops, I forgot to measure that. Well, depending on how many 'yea's we get, I'll set to work on the mechanics.

If you do this, I'd suggest setting it up with a graphics pack using 34.11, otherwise the uninitiated might quickly switch channe;s about, say, 5 seconds after trying to figure out what the hell is going on.
Good point. I was thinking setting up LazyNewbPack 34.11 with IronHand (the graphics pack I use most), also a site with the playing schedule (not only list and order, but also when the people would be able to play). Let's see how the dice roll  :)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 12:55:21 pm »

I personally prefer 40.xx adventure mode to 34.11 adventure mode. And I'm pretty sure that at least a few tilesets have been updated to the newest version.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 02:02:22 pm »

I personally prefer 40.xx adventure mode to 34.11 adventure mode. And I'm pretty sure that at least a few tilesets have been updated to the newest version.

An opinion:
   40.03 still crashes pretty often in adventure mode.  Since non-players (or pre-players?) will be seeing this, it wouldn't do Toady anything good to showcase an unstable, crashing version of his game with potential new players/donators. 

However, once it does become stable enough, I would ABSOLUTELY agree that 40.xx adventure mode would be much better!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 02:13:19 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

iajrz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 12:03:50 pm »

An opinion:
   40.03 still crashes pretty often in adventure mode.  Since non-players (or pre-players?) will be seeing this, it wouldn't do Toady anything good to showcase an unstable, crashing version of his game with potential new players/donators. 

However, once it does become stable enough, I would ABSOLUTELY agree that 40.xx adventure mode would be much better!

Agreed. The version to be used depends on how long it takes for me to set this up. As polishing takes up a couple of months, it'll likely be v 34
Pages: [1] 2