Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Bay12 Book of the Month Club (Take 2)  (Read 6007 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Bay12 Book of the Month Club (Take 2)
« on: July 15, 2014, 04:03:58 am »

Some time ago, FearfulJesuit had the excellent idea of starting a monthly book club. Something a bit more slow-paced and low-pressure than the 52-book challenge, perfect for people who just don't have the time to read a book a week but still want to participate in a reading challenge. Sadly, the thread sort of died, but there has been interest in giving it another try, so I have volunteered to organize it this time around.

And I do mean organize. There will be order! There will be lists! There will be spreadsheets!

And there will also be a HabitRPG challenge related to this thread, so if you haven't joined us over there, feel free to sign up. It's very useful and we have a guild (the Twelfth Bay) which you can find on the public guilds page.

And now, to the organization! The books will be suggested by members in a rotation. I will suggest the first books, as the founder of the new club, and I will ask for volunteers to suggest the next ones. Why am I using plural words, you ask? Because not everyone will be interested in the same types of books. Therefore, each volunteer will be asked to submit TWO different suggestions, and the books must be from different genres. There must always be at least one option which is friendly towards people who do not like to read about violence and gore.

-=Schedule and Rules=-
-Suggestions for the following month must be submitted by the 20th, to give people some time to find a copy before the month begins.
-If the month's volunteer fails to submit their suggestions by the 20th, we'll skip them and move on to the next one. In emergency situations where for some reason no one makes a suggestion by the 25th, Sappho will step in with something to keep things going.
-Suggestions must come with author name and a little information about the book: genre(s) and a few key words to give people an idea what they'll be getting it to.
-Reading begins on the 1st. Try to resist the temptation to start sooner - it's more fun if we all do it together.
-Discussion about the current book can begin anytime, but it must be in spoilers until the month ends.
-After the month ends, open discussion begins.
-All discussion must be friendly and civil. Sappho reserves the right to declare any argument/disagreement/discussion FINISHED which is no longer productive, at which point users may take the discussion elsewhere if they wish. Anyone not respecting said declarations may be banned from the club. Hopefully this will not be necessary!
-Members are welcome (and encouraged) to read both books per month if they have the time and the desire.

-=List Of Suggesters=-
•Sappho (August)
•Yoink (September)
•Draxis (October)
•Pufferfish (November)
•Vector (December)
•Loud Whispers (January)
•Dutchling (February)
•Objective (March)

-=The Books=-
Spoiler: August (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: September (Yoink) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: October (Draxis) (click to show/hide)

November: (Pufferfish)
Clan of the Cave Bear (Jean M. Auel)
The Tommyknockers (Stephen King)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 06:13:08 am by Sappho »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Book of the Month Club (Take 2)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 04:29:57 am »

Just popping to say that yes, I'm most certainly in! :)
I'll have to start sourcing those books soonish, so I can figure out just how hard they are to get. I'll probably read John Dies at the End first, since I've heard so much about it, but the first option sounds interesting, too.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 04:32:24 am »

Also, everyone please note when you post if you want to be added to the volunteer list for choosing books. Yoink, I'm assuming you do, so I'll put you down for September. Let me know if you don't want to.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 04:56:10 am »

I'd already read John Dies at the End back when it was a free read on the internet, but I'll see if I can track down a copy to re-read it. A good idea for anybody who enjoyed it: Try watching the movie as well. It's neat.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 05:15:13 am »

The movie is okay. They cut soooo much of the story from it, though, including my favorite parts, so I'd definitely recommend reading the book first.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 06:07:03 am »

I think I'd watched the movie far enough away from my initial reading of the book for me to remember the parts it depicted and be happy, and not recall most of the bits it missed. I definitely wouldn't call it the best movie, though, although I enjoyed it.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 06:22:41 am »

I'm game for a book a month challenge, although I've got a bit of a backlog of stuff to read at the moment so I might not start until next month. I remember reading and enjoying  The Ear, The Eye, and The Arm some time ago, although I'm somewhat thinking that I didn't comprehend it as well as I should have back then.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 06:51:36 am »

Heh...woops.  :-[

Good to know people are still interested in this. I don't really have any excuse other than negligence for the other thread's death, to be honest.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 07:11:01 am »

I'm game for a book a month challenge, although I've got a bit of a backlog of stuff to read at the moment so I might not start until next month. I remember reading and enjoying  The Ear, The Eye, and The Arm some time ago, although I'm somewhat thinking that I didn't comprehend it as well as I should have back then.

The listed books up right now are for August. I know it's a bit early, but I figure the month is half over and there might not be enough time for most people to get a copy of the book and read it before the end of July. So, just in case that's not clear, this "club" will officially begin on August 1. It's up to you if you want to read the books before then, but please don't discuss them yet in the thread, and you'll have to wait until the end of August for more assignments.

And no worries, FearfulJesuit. I don't mind taking over. : )

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 08:19:26 am »

I might just use this month to finish Lady Chatterley's Lover. It's... a bit of a slog. >.>
Kind of entertaining, though, I guess. Somewhat distracted by one of my favourite books which I re-aquired recently and want to read again, but I think I'll save that one for when it's my turn to make suggestions. I need to re-sharpen my speed reading skills, I used to tear through books in two or three days on the reg.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 09:15:04 am »

Sign me up. I really need to get out of my rut of reading nothing but sci-fi/fantasy.

I can't guarantee I can read everything, but if the library has it I'll do my best.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 09:35:36 am »

-
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 02:27:25 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 03:52:01 pm »

Joining in. This should boost my HabitRPG xp gain considerably. And I've read JDatE before, so it looks like YA sci-fi is go!
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 07:51:03 pm »

I'll join.  Did read Ear in middle school, and thought it was awful, but looking back on it all I can remember are things which I now seem like great things, so probably going to read it.  I'll also sign up to recommend some books.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 10:59:26 pm »

-
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 02:27:05 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6