Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: roll to dodge guide?  (Read 1321 times)

richeygator

• Bay Watcher
  • amature programer with a god-complex.
    • View Profile
roll to dodge guide?
« on: July 15, 2014, 12:02:13 am »

I have been looking over the forums and searching the internet
But I can't seem to find any sort of guide on running a basic game :(
I've looked over quite a few games and have a strong grasp on most of the rules
But i want to make sure I'm not missing something

If anyone has found a guide or willing to give me some tips
on things noobs tend to forget I wound be greatfull  ;D

I know all the rping stuff from being an experienced d&d dm(2.5E)
So I don't need help with that

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 04:05:16 am by richeygator »
after a long absence,
the god-complexed noob is back

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: roll to dodge guild?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 12:23:14 am »

The basic table is the only "default" feature of RTDs, and even that gets altered sometimes. Accordingly, there's not a whole lot to learn on the ground floor.

So that leaves most of the advice I can give you as things to make your game healthier. A few of the major ones include:

1. Simplicity. As with D&D, everything you do needs to be done by hand, which means it starts to add up fast when parts of your game are kind of complicated. Since most people's tendency is to keep coming up with new and more complex systems to add to their game, the usual advice is to keep it as simple as possible while still doing what you want it to do.

2. Motivation. Forum games are very dependent on the GM, which means the GM being motivated is vital to game health. Accordingly, you should make sure whatever you're running is something you find genuinely interesting and enjoyable, to maximize the chances that you'll feel like running it for a long while.

3. Failure. Forum games are not usually terribly complicated affairs, so it's alright when they peter out or never get off the ground. It's not ideal, of course, but it's better to fail and learn than to never try or be too conservative about it. You don't want to consciously make mistakes, but you don't want to worry too much about making the perfect game.

There's infinite other advice we could give, but most of that's subjective or situational. We do have a discussion thread for RTDs, if you want general advice or to run a concept or system past some people.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

richeygator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 12:30:02 pm »

thanks-nice to know its not too complicated
i think ill try one in a few weeks once i have plenty of free time and more of an idea of what i want to do
after a long absence,

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 03:48:04 am »

also your misspelling guide that might be why your having trouble finding a guide
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

richeygator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 04:04:04 am »

also your misspelling guide that might be why your having trouble finding a guide
Don't know WHAT your talking about ;)

Who needs intelligence and eloquentcy when we have forum topic editing
after a long absence,

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: roll to dodge guide?
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 04:06:11 am »

1. roll to dodge
2. do not roll to not dodge
3. make up shit on the run
4. try to make the shit pleasant
6. if you can't make the shit pleasant, make it over the top unpleasant
7. try to make it obvious your motivation isn't infinite
8. there was no point 5

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 04:11:19 am »

1. roll to dodge
2. do not roll to not dodge
3. make up shit on the run
4. try to make the shit pleasant
6. if you can't make the shit pleasant, make it over the top unpleasant
7. try to make it obvious your motivation isn't infinite
8. there was no point 5

yeah threatening to stop running a game if the participants dont follow what the games meant to be is a great way to bring it back on track

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 04:14:02 am »

is that a jab.

i will have you know i don't recall doing so

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 04:31:30 am »

is that a jab.

i will have you know i don't recall doing so

no it was not a jab i suppose what i was thinking about was roll to act reasonably the gm recently threatened that if people dident start acting reasonably he would get bored also he complained that everybody was so all over the place instead of interacting with each so everybody started to try and get near each other the acting reasonably again will take a while though and it wasent a jab at that either the gm did good keeping his players in line

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 05:35:59 am »

For me my idea is that if player is doing over the head stuff, you can penalise it, or gm overule them. It not like player have full control over their action. If someone want to make nuke in a medival game and they succeed, for me it ok for them to be day dreaming make nuke and kill everyone then wake up happy. That my style though, as most of the thing is on the GM so it all depend on them what is going to happen. Also you can try talk to people OOC, most of the people on the forum will understand that it is hard for you to make up story if you only do absurd stuff but if they ignore you, you can just do absurd stuff to them and just enjoy the result.

Also i dont believe in nailed down ruleset, it is much more fun to use a flexible rule. some people take max roll as definite succeed but for me i feel like the crazier the action the more success it need to be fulfil. That is why i like the blown up system which is when you max out a roll, you keep rolling until you are done. It is like putting the fate in luck so you dont need to worry so much.

The most important thing though is to have fun, both gm and player. the game will not work if it is not fun. and i dont mean you have to reward player for them to have fun as !FUN! DF style is also exist. Everyone have their own definition of fun but most of the time being unfair is not fun.
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem