Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TUG: Trying to be Minecraft++?  (Read 1122 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
TUG: Trying to be Minecraft++?
« on: July 14, 2014, 05:46:45 pm »

So I follow a guy on YouTube who is known for his modded playthroughs (not a forumite - I know there is at least one who uploads videos). Rather than the mod spotlight that he normally produces every month or so, today's upload was a game spotlight featuring some devs. I think it's got a slightly more interesting crafting system, but it could still be improved. I'm still in the process of watching the spotlight, but I haven't seen any enemies yet.

Tug on Steam, Game Spotlight
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 05:49:59 pm by Mephisto »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TUG: Trying to be Minecraft++?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 10:18:30 pm »

I bought this a few months ago and it was a broken mess/prototype disguised as early access. They are teasing a big update now but in all honesty it has a long way to go. It aspires to greatness, but then again what doesn't?

In all fairness, I am burnt out on early access. I am tired of Steam colluding with the hoardes of amateur developers collecting money without the skills, plans or work ethic to follow through. Early access used to be about true indie studios making a run at it, but now it's any kid with $100 for a Greenlight submission and a few purchased Unity or Ogre3D purchased textures mocked up to make "screenshots" and trailers. They mislead consumers about the state of the game by making just enough content to make a virtual diorama that leads the gamer to believe advanced gameplay is already in the "game" but when they buy it.........

I don't have to explain it to you. It's probably already happened to everyone of you once or one of your friends. You know what should be a great selling feature? A game being sold post beta. In fact, on my Steam store page on the features list I will put "Complete game! Not Early Access or beta!" People are selling early access games for $25-40 and yet will balk if I charge $15 for a complete strategy game.

Only a simple mind can be certain.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 10:19:42 pm »

a broken mess/prototype disguised as early access.
Isn't that most early access games on Steam?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 10:33:13 pm »

Exactly.
Only a simple mind can be certain.