Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Building a PC exclusively for Dwarf Fortress  (Read 15530 times)

rawtuf88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Building a PC exclusively for Dwarf Fortress
« on: July 14, 2014, 04:53:55 pm »

Hi, I'm considering building a PC exclusively to play Dwarf Fortress better. What would I need to focus on?

*I don't think Graphic Cards are a top priority -- although one would need to be there to ensure the strain is less on the CPU.
*Focus should be on CPU/Memory, right?
*Windows 8?

If any techie could chime in, it'd be great. Thanks.

rawtuf88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building a PC exclusively for Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 04:59:12 pm »

Would intel or AMD be better? I'm considering intel

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 05:12:38 pm »

You should be looking at single core speed for the CPU, RAM as fast as you can afford (your motherboard choice will limit you there) and probably an SSD (over M.2, Sata Express, or whatever the new trend in high-bandwidth standards is). I'm not sure there's much more to keep in mind beyond that, although I'm sure someone more experienced than I at building PCs can step in and correct that. As far as OSes go, I am definitely not a fan of Windows 8; any operating system that increases by an order of magnitude the screen space my cursor has to travel (charms, anyone?) and doubles or triples the number of times I have to click to get where I want to (control panel, command line, run bar, windows explorer) gets a thumbs down in my book. If you're comfortable with windows 8 however, there are a good number of low level OS improvements that might be worth it.

rawtuf88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 05:19:38 pm »

You should be looking at single core speed for the CPU

Can you explain? Right now I'm looking at an i7 haswell. Is there a better option?

As far as OSes go, I am definitely not a fan of Windows 8; any operating system that increases

I meant in terms of performance not functionality. For example, I hear one of the reasons that Steam is moving to Linux is because of increased graphical performance -- so if there is a better system to improve DF's performance, I'd like to know what it is.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 05:29:48 pm »

Would intel or AMD be better? I'm considering intel
AMD is cheaper, and although the hardware has smaller numbers it seems (in my experience) to perform relatively well. If you have the funds and want to go all-out, Intel is a better choice.

For the OS you want one that has low CPU overhead - basically something that's not doing a whole lot in the background. Some kind of Linux distro is your best bet here. I don't really know about Mac, but Windows is vastly (vastly, vastly) better on the compatibility front.
Realistically though, your choice here is going to impact most heavily your experience using the computer. Pick something you're comfortable with using.

Nope. A dual-core CPU allows for the OS and background operations to run on a separate core, giving DF free reign over the rest. Everything else you've said is accurate, though.

Can you explain? Right now I'm looking at an i7 haswell. Is there a better option?
Higher frequency (i.e., more GHz) is always better. The i7 Haswell (apparently) has two cores, basically meaning two sets of instructions can be processed at once.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

CypherLH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 05:29:58 pm »

Keep in mind that Dwarf Fortress is single threaded which means it cannot take advantage of multiple cores. So the processor speed is a lot more important than the number of cores. I would suggest a high-end current-gen intel  i7...the latest one is up past 4 ghz even without over-clocking.
   Also lots of good RAM and an ssd drive.

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 05:30:31 pm »

I'm no expert, but in theory, you could run Damn Small Linux for DF, just having to run the Linux version instead of the Windows. That's probably be the fastest OC you can find, but maybe not the best for DF.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

rawtuf88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 05:37:09 pm »

Some kind of Linux distro is your best bet here.

Will DF run under a Linux distro? What would be the best linux distro for playing Dwarf Fortress? ubuntu?

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 05:38:40 pm »

For example, my laptop has an older generation i7 with 8 cores (well, as far as I know it has 4 cores, but they're each split into two "virtual cores"? This is an area of computer hardware that I know little about) running at 1.6 GHz. My laptop is great for running lots of programs at once and programs that can use more than one core (engineering and math software, mostly), but it's not great for something like Dwarf Fortress, which can only use one core.

One issue is that there are lots of different Haswell CPUs, with different numbers of cores, clock speeds, overclocking ability, integrated graphics, and what have you. You might have to look at the different models and pick one that matches the features that you're looking for, but you can ignore CPUs that sacrifice clock speed for more cores. Generally, bigger model number means better performance, and the letter K after the model number means you can overclock it.

In addition, the new generation of Intel CPU (Broadwell) is slated to come out in the fall (it's going to be on a 14 nm process instead of the 22 nm process that Haswell is on, which should mean big gains in performance and power efficiency all around) so it might be worth waiting until then to either get a Haswell CPU on sale or get a brand new Broadwell chip.

Correct me if I'm way off base here, but it seems like you're not much of a PC hardware nerd; if that's the case, I honestly think you'll be fine buying whatever CPU costs $200-$250 right now. If you're not into overclocking or benchmarks, anything at that price point will do you well, and you can ignore my big nerd rants above.

InsanityIncarnate, he did say "exclusively." :P but no, you're right.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 05:40:53 pm by jarathor »

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 05:53:14 pm »

Some kind of Linux distro is your best bet here.

Will DF run under a Linux distro? What would be the best linux distro for playing Dwarf Fortress? ubuntu?

Yes. There are Lazy Newb Pack equivalents for Linux too, I believe.

My experience has been that the Linux build of DF is notably slower than the Windows or Mac builds, though. I even get better framerates running the Windows version under WINE than I did using the native Linux build.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

rawtuf88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 05:57:01 pm »

My experience has been that the Linux build of DF is notably slower than the Windows or Mac builds, though. I even get better framerates running the Windows version under WINE than I did using the native Linux build.

So I should stick with Windows. Ok.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 06:08:02 pm »

Higher frequency (i.e., more GHz) is always better.

My Pentium 4 at 3 GHz couldn't even remotely touch the speed of an i5 running at 1 GHz. This is very, very wrong.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 06:47:42 pm »

My Pentium 4 at 3 GHz couldn't even remotely touch the speed of an i5 running at 1 GHz. This is very, very wrong.

To be more accurate, the best CPU for DF is the highest frequency CPU in the latest architecture.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 07:25:28 pm »

With regards to the advice on RAM, it is important to remember that what you're after is fast RAM (for both varieties of "fast"), not necessarily large RAM. There was a thread a while back with people working out the exact details of what is best, but I've failed to dig it out so far.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 10:19:24 pm »

Yes...? They've got different architecture. It is "better" to have higher frequency than lower, but that's ignoring all the other aspects of a "good" processor.
What I said initially was ambiguous, I'm sorry.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4