Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New fun atrocities in DF2014  (Read 3918 times)

Deus_Vult

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New fun atrocities in DF2014
« on: July 14, 2014, 03:39:18 pm »

DF player is no stranger to the amusingly terrifying ways to rule your fortress,  or even more disturbingly fun things the game itself threw at you.
Well, it seems we got a new one!
So preamble is the following: I've created a world, created few meh-level forts, retired them, founded another one and sticked to it. Years come and pass by, and the news that the liason brings to me become even more upsetting each year: the goblins are coming, and their war-machine is tougher than ever. Settlements and fortresses fall one after another. And one day, the liason told me that among those bastions fallen was the fortress that I've established some time ago.
Of course, what I did next is that I retired the fortress I've been playing and tried to reclaim one of those I had. They were listed as "ruins". I've packed my expedition with warrior dwarves, equipped them as good as it possible, and sent them to bring me back what belonged to my people.

And now the main part: apparently, when the goblins seized the fortress, they decided not to act as homicidal maniacs* and instead of butchering every dwarf there, they've just executed a few, and let others roam freely.
But the Great Dwarven Queen didn't appreciate it. When i appeared at the place, all dwarves that were there (except for mine 7) were listed as "Hostile" - which means that I had to kill them. They weren't attacking me or running away, but still I had to kill them. The FPS dropped quite a bit, as of the game ENGINE itself was urging me to get rid of those pesky inhabitants.
And so I attack.
Well, do you remember that legendary miner you had that has been easily bashing the skulls of goblins/berserkers/whatever? Well, now, that guy won't like you attacking him and will pose a problem for your assault squad.
All in all, even my attempt to kill them in just a massacre ended with 4 of my 7 dwarves dead in a minute. But I killed dozens of civilians.

So, it seems, the locals changed their loyalty after being conquered, and the game regarded them as enemy nation.
And that's what it apparently means: The Monarch of Dwarves won't tolerate even a glimpse of disloyalty and cowardice! Any dwarf that refused to fight till the end against the Enemy and gave up is traitor: no matter is he a civilian or a soldier. Therefore, by the Royal Decree of the Mountain Crown, all dwarven inhabitants of the goblin-conquered forts are subject to the extermination as they are vermin that betrayed their people!

Even as I type this, the voice of Comrade Urist McStalin rings in my head.

Skorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New fun atrocities in DF2014
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 03:41:53 pm »

This is what DF2014 was for.
"I'M NOT DONE WITH THE GORY PULP THAT IS YOUR EYES! I WILL ERASE THE VAGUE IMPRESSION THAT YOU WERE EVER ABLE TO SEE AT ALL! FORGET THE VITAL ORGANS, BLINDING THE BLINDED AS I BLIND BLIND PEOPLE IS ALL THAT MATTERS!"

-Urist McMason, enraged at having found a Gecko Man in his fortress.
Urist McMason likes Gecko Man Eyes.

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 03:53:22 pm »

Welp, i guess the intended thing was that the surviving dwarves were under the rules of the goblins, and, should a group of 7 heroic adventurers dwarves came back to found a new fort, they would have rebelled against their new masters and took the fort back for the dwarves.

Except that since you embarked in Dwarf Mode Right away, they had no way to turn their coat.
I think Toady forgot (or didn't have to time) to give  the "slaves" the hability to change allegiance in fort mode.

Deus_Vult

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 04:04:41 pm »

Actually, can you do that? I mean, in Adv. mode free the fortress and then declare it your site and create a new civilization?

Rum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 04:37:19 pm »

Maybe these dwarves are just more content under their new goblin overseers than at the hands of a dwarven society?

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 04:44:47 pm »

Given what they have to deal with when they get a direct Overseer, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they preferred Goblin masters.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

snjwffl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 08:41:09 pm »

What if you visited as an adventurer and asked all of the dwarves "to join you in an insurrection"?

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 09:39:35 pm »

Given what they have to deal with when they get a direct Overseer, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they preferred Goblin masters.

"Sure, I get three lashes a day, but nobody's asked me to build any doomsday devices or magma-filled moats."
This space for rent

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 09:39:10 pm »

"Sure, I get three lashes a day, but nobody's asked me to build any doomsday devices or magma-filled moats."

"I don't think these goblins have even heard of drowning chambers."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 06:43:02 am »

Create an adventurer and assassinate all the legendary miner Dwarves. The next time you return, none of them will be able to stop you from liberating them. Liberate them with a vengeance.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 07:45:15 am »

Nah, use the adventurer to liberate the Fort from the gobs, then return in Fortress mode. That should do the job. Don't waste Dwarven lives.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 08:31:52 am »

"And their child care strategies, strict as they are, still beat being raised by dogs."

Zac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 11:46:39 pm »

"And their child care strategies, strict as they are, still beat being raised by dogs."

I dont think so.

That the result of a war between two goblins civilisations in my world, both ruled by demons.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

At the end of the war, Dof Skullzenith managed to sack Horrorirons, the capital of his rival, and captured him. Not only that but he also executed the children living in the fortress, only the children, 102 in total, dwarves, humans and goblins, in the most gruesome ways one could imagine. The exhaustive list include : Crucified, buried alive, burned alive, fed to beasts, beheaded, hacked to pieces and drowned.

So when the goblins will come to my fortress, my gates will remain closed and my crossbows loaded.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 11:48:30 pm by Zac »

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 11:56:50 pm »

At the end of the war, Dof Skullzenith managed to sack Horrorirons, the capital of his rival, and captured him. Not only that but he also executed the children living in the fortress, only the children, 102 in total, dwarves, humans and goblins, in the most gruesome ways one could imagine. The exhaustive list include : Crucified, buried alive, burned alive, fed to beasts, beheaded, hacked to pieces and drowned.
So at the height of their cruelty, goblins and demons actually managed to match a regular DF player? :-)
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Zac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 12:02:48 am »

So at the height of their cruelty, goblins and demons actually managed to match a regular DF player? :-)

Sadly, we dont have that "crucified" thing, could be fun. We also dont have the hability to sack enemy site and decide who will live, who will die and how. :(

But really the amazing part is that a random generator tried to be purposely evil and managed to do it quite well. Matching a DF player when it come to gratuitous cruelty isn't nothing.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 12:09:02 am by Zac »
Pages: [1] 2