Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 85

Author Topic: LIMBO:Testing more stuff  (Read 106995 times)

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
Re: LIMBO
« Reply #135 on: August 08, 2014, 01:41:56 pm »

Lead Ben and Oswald down the stairs. Keep Snapper ready.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #136 on: August 08, 2014, 02:32:34 pm »

So less Forever War and more Roadside Picnic?
Yes. Or Pohl's "Gateway" which I am ripping off too.

If there's a window or portal that I can see out of, take a look. Otherwise, make sure CS suit is sealed and open the door.
You can't seem to find the button for a outside feed, but you're pretty sure the readings are ok.  You get suited up and then press the button to open the rear hatch, already crawling through the cargo compartment as it opens. The world beyond is odd; there's no atmosphere -you breathe a sigh of relief for having a space suit- and the stars are brilliant and unhindered in dark, sunless sky. There's some illumination, dull red light  hinting at a huge, dying star somewhere over the horizon, its light still leaking over the surface of the planet despite the actual mass of the star being hidden. Come to think of it, the stars hanging in that black sky are all dull red, swollen points of light that look quite different to the familiar stars of the milkyway. There's a similar mottled band of light stretching horizontal across the sky overhead, but it's far more diffused and broken up then the familiar band of white of our own galaxy.

The ground here is strange too, it's uneven, but not mountainous,  a plain of white that is full of undulations and divots and small mounds, as thought the ground had been tilled and roughly dumped back down. It appears to be made of some sort of whitish-yellowish substance, almost like a shale bed, with obvious separation into chunks and slabs and pieces, all mashed together. Very odd.

You almost don't notice strangest thing, because it is black enough to blend in with the horizon. You only notice it because of the fact that it eclipses the wall of stars behind it. It is a black pyramid, perfectly smooth and symmetrical from what you can tell. You have no idea how far it is away either; without any landmarks around it, the perspective is screwing with you. It could be 20 feet tall and only a little ways off, or miles high and miles away. You can't tell. Even looking at it sort of hurts your eyes.

Lead Ben and Oswald down the stairs. Keep Snapper ready.
Follow Ben, holding his shoulder.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Since you're so eager, sure. If it starts getting too dark to see, though, I'll take the lead. I brought a flashlight."

Let Mr. German Accent go first, then follow behind.

Spoiler: Ben Febinez (click to show/hide)
The stairs descend into darkness and soon all of you, not just Oswald, are blind. There are no lights on the stairs, and the dim light from above only penetrates down maybe a floor or two of the descending tower of stairs. There is nothing out to the sides, nothing in any direction as far as anyone can see. It is as though the stairs are spiraling down into the void of space. The smell of salt is quiet strong though, and everyone can feel a damp, wind blowing across them, as though they were in the belly of a cloud.  Indeed, that might be exactly what it is; the light is too dim to tell.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 08, 2014, 02:43:27 pm »

"Just like I thought. Either of you bring a light source, or d'you want a glowstick?"

Turn on flashlight and take the lead.
If either of my non-blind teammates want a glowstick, crack one and give it to them.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 08, 2014, 02:49:31 pm »

((Edited to include char sheet))

Hrm...

See if I can rig up some very basic communications between the datapad and the shuttle, so I can find my way back. Rough directional headings, distance, anything at all.

Start trudging towards the pyramid with equipment. If I start to lose sight of the shuttle, and the above was unsuccessful, immediately turn back.

Spoiler: Hapah (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 04:12:12 pm by Hapah »
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 08, 2014, 03:18:49 pm »

"Only had enough for Snapper and Merc Suit."

Continue leading everyone down.

Illgeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 08, 2014, 03:20:47 pm »

There is no light for me.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 08, 2014, 03:41:01 pm »

((Counts against weight limit? Damn, my weight is already maxes out. I knew I should a grabbed a backpack.))

Follow the others while writing a data pad program to map our progress through this place, or at least to measure our elevation, direction, and distance from the shuttle.

Spoiler: Alec Badel (click to show/hide)
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #142 on: August 08, 2014, 04:55:00 pm »

"Just like I thought. Either of you bring a light source, or d'you want a glowstick?"

Turn on flashlight and take the lead.
If either of my non-blind teammates want a glowstick, crack one and give it to them.

You dig the flashlight out of your pack and click it on.  The beam, harsh and white from a bundle of LED's, cuts out into the darkness and illuminates a hazy world, dull with fog.  A thick grayish fog clings to the stairs and, as you lean out over the rail and shine the light down, it obscures your view of whats below. You can see at least 3 or 4 more stories of stairs, and nothing out on either side. You can, however, now see your way down, at least.

"Only had enough for Snapper and Merc Suit."

Continue leading everyone down.
There is no light for me.
((Counts against weight limit? Damn, my weight is already maxes out. I knew I should a grabbed a backpack.))

Follow the others while writing a data pad program to map our progress through this place, or at least to measure our elevation, direction, and distance from the shuttle.

(Did you leave something on the shuttle that you can receive a signal from to map distance? Does the pad have sensors for that sort of thing? You could use it to keep a map yourself, but there's nothing automated here to do that.)

The stairs lead down, down for over an hour. The cold air slowly becomes warmer, until it is downright humid and the smell of sea water, brine and hot oil is hanging so thick in the air it stings your eyes, even for those of you that have Merc suit helmets. Finally, the stairs end, at what seems to be a metal platform, a square about 20 feet on each side with the stairs in the center. Water, which is a strange, brilliant, Anti-freeze green color, laps at the edges of the platform and splashes up across it every now and again. Attached to the platform is what looks like a metal pier, which stretches out into the darkness. When Ben shines his light in that direction, he can't see anything within its beam. However, there is a sound coming from that direction, one that has been steadily growing louder as the group has climbed down. It's a bubbling, gassy, rushing noise, and it's coming from the direction the pier extends towards.

((Edited to include char sheet))

Hrm...

See if I can rig up some very basic communications between the datapad and the shuttle, so I can find my way back. Rough directional headings, distance, anything at all.

Start trudging towards the pyramid with equipment. If I start to lose sight of the shuttle, and the above was unsuccessful, immediately turn back.

You set your translator headset down in the shuttle and work on it for a few minutes. It shorts a few times, but you manage to get it to produce a stable signal you can lock onto with your pad. You're not sure it will work as a translator anymore, but it will at least work as a homing beacon. You set it on the pilot seat and close the shuttle.

You set out toward the pyramid. The combination of low g and the unsteady footing makes going difficult. At one point, maybe 10 minutes into your trip, you stumble and fall to your hands and knees, your head coming close to the ground. You realize, suddenly, as you stare at what you thought was loose gravel fields, that you are walking on top of bones. Not human bones, not the bones of any sort of creature you recognize, hell, maybe not even actual bones at all, but something very much organic, at some past time. You're standing on something like a coral bed, but made of the bones of countless larger creatures.  You feel an immediate and near paralyzing sense of wrongness about this place, about that pyramid, about those dead stars looking down at you.

+1 Sanity point (Yes I rolled twice for Rationalist)

You stand up, trying not to look at the ground and instead look toward the pyramid. It is definitely closer then when you left, looming up far larger then it should for having moved such a short distance. It seems like you'll reach it soon, but...looking back, it seems like the shuttle is a great deal farther away then it should be for having only walked 10 minutes. Maybe this low g movement is playing tricks on you? You don't know.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 08, 2014, 05:19:34 pm »

Christ...what the hell is this place?

Keep advancing towards Mindfuckery Mountain.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 08, 2014, 05:39:50 pm »

((The shuttle didn't have a trackable signal? Darn.))

Fine, make the map manually as we progress. Wait for one of the others to go across the pier first.

Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 08, 2014, 05:54:32 pm »

Advance across the pier cautiously. Try to get a look at whatever is making that sound.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 08, 2014, 05:57:57 pm »

Follow others.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #147 on: August 08, 2014, 06:57:06 pm »

Follow others.
Advance across the pier cautiously. Try to get a look at whatever is making that sound.

The two of you walk out across the pier very slowly, leaving The blind man and the guy with the data pad standing near the stairs. The light sweeps back and forth, searching all around for the source of the sound. It takes you about a half mile of walking to find it, the temperature and humidity increasing steadily as you go. The source of the sound is some sort of enormous tower; a huge square rod made of tightly woven pipes that stretches from some unseen height above into the water and then down to some unseen depth below. It must be 30 or 40 meters to a side, and the water where it stands is boiling, raising massive clouds of steam which obscure  much of it. The tower itself isn't connected to the main path, but a side path branches off from the pier and seems to lead over to it. The main pier continues straight, and the distinctive bubbling of another, similar tower can be heard in the distance.

((The shuttle didn't have a trackable signal? Darn.))

Fine, make the map manually as we progress. Wait for one of the others to go across the pier first.

You set up a manual map and draw out the route you think you've taken so far.  It's pretty damn easy so far: Just take the stairs down and then head forward. Easy peasy.

Christ...what the hell is this place?

Keep advancing towards Mindfuckery Mountain.

You advance until the base of the pyramid becomes visible and you realize that it is, indeed, as monstrously huge as you thought it was. It must stand a mile or so high, and its base is a great black void in the bleached expanse of the bone-field. You can see an opening down near the base of the pyramid; several actually, scattered across the great expanse of its foundation. The pyramid itself  appears to be built on the actual stone of the planet, a reddish-coppery stuff that looks vaguely like sandstone. Whatever the bone-fields are, they came after the pyramid. Around the base, down near the doors, you can see some things that look different; things which glint and shine red in the crimson light of this world's sun. They're not moving, at least not that you can see, but they're so far off that you can't really make them out very well. Guard robots? Defense systems? Some sort of invisible fence pylons? Hard to say.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 08, 2014, 07:09:36 pm »

Start approaching nearest doorway. See if I can determine what the shining objects are without getting too close.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #149 on: August 08, 2014, 07:32:34 pm »

Start approaching nearest doorway. See if I can determine what the shining objects are without getting too close.

You slowly begin working your way down toward the nearest entrance, sliding down on the piles of bones toward the strangely untouched base of the structure. As you get closer you can see that the shining things appear to be chrome plated rods, maybe 3 feet across, that are sticking up from the stone near the entrances. They're completely smooth, with a rounded top, and aren't actively shooting at you yet, so thats a good sign, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 85