Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My Newb Experience  (Read 1616 times)

pareod

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
My Newb Experience
« on: July 14, 2014, 11:00:52 am »

Hey guys, just started getting into DF, and I'd like some pointers on some issues I'm having.  I'll bullet-list it to make this concise.

-No dwarf will make nest boxes, and I have wood crafting enabled.
-I have a 4x4 plump helmet farm and I'm running low on booze.
-I only have one type of booze.
-I butcher animals every now and again, but have no steady meat supply.
-Actually I'm not sure what my Dwarves are eating at all... not plump helmets because I forbid that.
-The recent immigrant wave sent me from 15 to 41 Dwarves... I'm screwed (not enough beds, food, or booze).
-I have no military, mainly because I have no idea what to do after I create a squad.
-I just created my metal industry workshops, but no idea what armor/weapons to build, or what materials to smelt for them.
-No traps set yet, not sure what to make.

Any other tips would be nice, but I think I'm about to have a lot of "fun" soon...

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Newb Experience
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 11:17:09 am »

I remember running into the booze problem too. Personally, I tried to make my plump helmet farms bigger. That way, more seeds can be sown and there's no penalty if you have no more seeds to sow (except for the annoying notifications of not being able to sow plump helmet seeds). I'd also advise building a well. Those tend to be very useful when the booze is running out.

I'm not sure what your dwarves are eating, but I think it's either stuff you started out with in the wagon like fish or (and I'm not sure about this so I may be wrong) they may be eating vermin.

Also, on a side note, welcome to Dwarf Fortress!  :)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 11:24:38 am »

-No dwarf will make nest boxes, and I have wood crafting enabled.

Which job did you request, exactly?  In the Craftdwarf's shop, you can request them to be made from either wood or stone.  The labor necessary to build it would depend on which material you chose.  You can also make them out of glass or metal, which would obviously entail different labors.

-I have a 4x4 plump helmet farm and I'm running low on booze.

How many dwarves?  How many planters?  Are your planters good at their job?  Are the farm plots actually being planted?  (In every season?)  How many plump helmets, and plump helmet spawn (seeds), do you currently have?

Do you have enough empty barrels to brew them into?

Are you getting any plump helmet wine at all?  Is this a "My z -> Kitchen menu shows no Brew option for plump helmets" problem, or a "Job cancellation because my plants are all being hauled around continuously" problem?

Make sure you disable cooking of all plants and booze in the z -> Kitchen menu (if you cook anything at all).

-I only have one type of booze.

You can plant cave wheat and sweet pods in some seasons (but not all seasons) to add variety.  You can also try for aboveground farming, but not all of the aboveground plants are fully implemented right now.

-I butcher animals every now and again, but have no steady meat supply.

That's not necessarily a problem.  Dwarves can survive without meat.  If you want a steady supply of meat, you can acquire breeding pairs of animals (keep them pastured somewhere safe), but it may take a few years for populations to become large enough for slaughtering.

-Actually I'm not sure what my Dwarves are eating at all... not plump helmets because I forbid that.

You can't forbid dwarves from eating raw plump helmets, other than by completely forbidding the plump helmets from being touched at all.  In which case they wouldn't be able to brew them, either.

You can (and generally should) prevent them from being cooked, because cooking destroys the seeds.

-The recent immigrant wave sent me from 15 to 41 Dwarves... I'm screwed (not enough beds, food, or booze).

Don't panic.  Chop a few trees, make a bunch of beds, carve some rooms to put them in.  Add another 4x4 farm plot or two if necessary.

-I have no military, mainly because I have no idea what to do after I create a squad.

That's a very complicated subject.  Go over the military guides on the wiki, peruse past forum questions about the military (there are hundreds of threads on it), and if you're still confused, ask again.

-I just created my metal industry workshops, but no idea what armor/weapons to build, or what materials to smelt for them.

Steel > Iron/Bronze > Copper

Edged weapons are better than blunt weapons (or at least, they were in v0.34).

I prefer to make crossbows out of bone, but I make bolts out of copper or bronze.

-No traps set yet, not sure what to make.

Cage traps are the most powerful, against most enemies.  Some people find them too powerful.  You'll have to decide how you want to play it.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 11:32:04 am »

First off, what version are you using? It's important.

-If you have been viewing and forbidding them with 'k' and 'f' then it isn't as simple as your dwarfs not eating them, they won't do anything with them. If you have simply disabled cooking of them then your dwarfs will eat them as they please.
Booze is produced at a still and requires a brewable plant and a barrel or large pot as well as a dwarf with brewing enabled.
-Make and build a weapon rack, assign it to your squad and enable training. Also go into the military screen down to Active training and select your squad, read the wiki for more info.
-If you have the stuff try and produce steel. For edged weapons Steel > Iron >= Bronze > Copper. For blunt ones Silver > Steel > Iron >= Bronze > Copper. Adamantine is the best option for edged weapons but is a bad option for blunt ones. Armor seems to follow the same scale as edged weapons. Bronze can be smelted from copper and tin bars or from (malachite or tetrahedrite or copper nuggets) and cassiterite.
I may be wrong but I think dwarfs will only get attached to weapons and shields. Since shields blocking ability isn't dependent on it's material (in 0.34.11) it isn't such a big deal if your dwarf becomes attached to a wooden one. So you should focus either on weapons or armor. If you want to do both I think it takes 2 bars for a mail shirt, 2 for greaves, 1 for a helm, and 1 for a weapon so while there are still things missing for 6 bars per dwarf you can get a bit of both. If that is still to much I think the armor priorites are helm, mail shirt, greaves but I am not sure. gauntlets and boots (high boots are best) may in some ways be more important than greaves and require the same number of bars to make.

and ninja'd
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 12:00:45 pm »

If you want to do both I think it takes 2 bars for a mail shirt, 2 for greaves, 1 for a helm, and 1 for a weapon so while there are still things missing for 6 bars per dwarf you can get a bit of both. If that is still to much I think the armor priorites are helm, mail shirt, greaves but I am not sure. gauntlets and boots (high boots are best) may in some ways be more important than greaves and require the same number of bars to make.

Mail shirts and greaves are 2 bars; helms, leggings, pairs of gauntlets, and pairs of boots are 1 bar.  I think breastplates are 3 bars, but I never use breastplates.  Mail shirts give broader coverage (breastplates leave the upper arms exposed), for less metal.  Of course you could use both together, but then you're really weighing them down.

I use leggings, and not greaves.  They both give 100% coverage of the lower body, but the leggings cost half as much metal (and I think they're lighter...?).

and ninja'd

Multiple viewpoints are helpful.  This game is extremely complex.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 12:45:14 pm »

Just watch this guy! amazing at making tutorials, and never swears!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAPJodcPJLA&feature=kp

pareod

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 03:35:55 pm »

Update #1:

-Dwarf count - 60
-Well has been built
-Fortress riddled with thieving Kobolds
-Still no armor or weapons smelted/forged
-First squad created and managed to kill and loot a Kobold thief
-More animals that I know what to do with
-No idea what animals are mating pairs, or how to train animals, or make use of them
-Trade depot created, but I don't understand the trade agreement screens or how to trade
-I have a decenty amount of food and drinks after expanding farm plots
-Nest Boxes have been built, I'm trying to learn how to incubate

End update.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 03:56:55 pm »

Just watch this guy! amazing at making tutorials, and never swears!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAPJodcPJLA&feature=kp

Please don't advice that guy to new players learning the game.
He's no doubt a nice guy and an interesting youtuber. But he's totally inadequate to teach other people how to play the game.
I have absolutely nothing against people putting whatever they please on youtube. But when a series is clearly targeted at inexperienced players, I expect the author to have a flawless knowledge about the basics.
Wich clearly isn't the case here.

Wrong information and generally bad advice I've stumbled upon in the first four videos:

He starts messing up right from the embark, missing the F1-F2-F3 keys. Everything he searched for is right there, but he doesn't check different biomes.
He also gives a very sketchy explanation about evil/savagery.

Embark points allocation is terrible. No big deal for experienced players, but newbies need to optimize their embark, to avoid the most common problems.
Really bad advice:
- Miner/architect (epic waste of 5 levels).
- Woodcutter/herbalist, debatable choice but not terrible.
- Dedicated carpenter seems like a waste, at the beginning he just has to do a few beds and a few bins.
- Same dwarf is both planter and brewer. Can work, but new players often get in trouble with food/drink shortage. Having the same dwarf doing both things doesn't help in this regard. I'd actually advice a new player to disable every labor from the planter right from the start. The carpenter could easily double as a brewer. These two jobs don't need a 24/7 dedicated dwarf in the beginning.
- Dedicated doctor. Totally not necessary in a newbie-friendly embark. Also, competent leader. Why?
- Bags, ropes, cloth, buchets, splints, crutches, wheelbarrows. He's wasting an atrocious amount of points on useless stuff. Remember this is aimed at new players, wich should get rid of that garbage and take more seeds/food/drinks.

While he digs the useless gigantic rooms, he could use the idle dwarves to set up a temporary dormitory and temporary dining hall (or simply build a couple chairs and tables in the hallway). New players are often screwed by unhappy dwarves, but a lot of negative thoughts can be easily avoided.

The wtf "dump everything" in video 3. WHY? That's downright wrong informations about stockpiles.
That's also an incredibly dumb way to employ the beginning seven, wich could be doing WAY more useful stuff. Like, you know, making fucking beds and chairs.

He goes about miasma as if it's some kind of fortress-ending ebola cloud. Fine, miasma is bad. Too bad his dwarves are still sleeping on the floor and eating under the rain.

HOLY SHIT THOSE FARMS. Seriously. That's like a combined 20x20 farm. Two 5x5 plots can easily sustain 100 dwarves, provided he has one or two dedicated planters. Wich he doesn't, because his planter is also a brewer and is also hauling a million boulders BY HAND for absolutely no reason. Remember he also wasted 50 embark points on a wheelbarrow but isn't even using it.

Tanner shop right next to the butcher shop (fine). Too bad they will haul the fresh hides all the way outside to the refuse stockpile, because he didn't bother fixing the settings.

All those "food-related" workshops next to the farm of doom. It quickly goes from 'highly debatable' to 'wtf is he doing'. A fishery? WHY? Also, how does he plan to organize the stockpiles for those workshops if they are all thrown together in that room? Why is that farmer shop there? It needs to be near the appropriate stockpiles, not next to the farms.

He disabled hauling labors from the miners (fine). Too bad they are sitting idle after digging the gigantic rooms, while important dwarves are still dumping the million boulders. You know, the dwarves that should be making beds and chairs and starting the food business.

First migrant wave. Only at this point I realize how awful this series really is. It's pretty obvious he has all the priorities wrong in a new fort. But really. First migrant wave and he didn't build a single bed or chair or table. He didn't produce a single unit of food or drinks. The main problems for new players are food, drinks and happiness, wich he's completely ignored, for more than an entire season, in a NEW PLAYERS TUTORIAL.

Bridge over a stream to get migrants across. Ugh.

Coati men stealing food because he didn't set up a temporary food stockpile inside. You know, because STONES MUST BE DUMPED.

That gigantic stockpile, holy shit. A temporary stockpile to get everything inside is fine. But that monstrosity? Are you really teaching new players to organize their industries like that? That kind of stockpile gets usually filled 3/4 by wood and gems. How is a new player supposed to keep track of his production with that...thing? He isn't even using barrels or bins. Every single crafted item will occupy a tile. Every single food item will occupy a tile. What when it's full? Dig another wtf-room to make another stockpile like that? What about teaching people how to get a properly organized working area?

"We notice two very dangerous things". Well no shit sherlock. You didn't produce a single unit of food or drinks so far and now are surprised because you have no food?
Promptly followed by "let's make a second brewer". No shit again, really. That's why don't make your planter YOUR BREWER. Because one has to plant and another one has to brew. Also, gj making him go all the way down TWICE for every single brewing job.

And now one of the best parts. Let's spam a hundred workshops in the same room with absolutely no regard for logic organization.
-YAY second carpenter shop. Why? Do you want to export beds?
-Mason shop actually makes some sort of sense. Now what about giving him easier access to the giant pile of stones you hauled for two entire seasons?
-Second mason shop. Ok, makes sense again. Except he doesn't even know WHY he wants a second mason shop. High quality stone furniture should be made by a dedicated mason (wich isn't hard to level to legendary, my mason is usually the third of fourth legendary right behind miners and the first planter). The second shop will eventually be used for blocks.
- Mechanic, ok.
- Metalsmith forge right in the middle of that mess. Ugh. Metal industry should be fueled by magma sooner or later, unless he wants to keep cutting hundreds of trees forever, while dodging ambushes and sieges. It surely shouldn't be right in the middle of that mess of a dozen other industries.
- Jeweler. Ok, I guess. What about giving him his own stockpile of gems? You know, a stockpile with BINS right next to the shop. A single bin holds a metric fuckton of gems, so a simple 5x5 stockpile is enough.
- Craftdwarf, ok.
- Leatherwork. See jeweler.
- Cloth industry. Considering his absolute disregard for happiness, he probably doesn't realize the importance of clothing. But it needs to be properly organized with dedicated stockpiles.
- Soapmaker. Because why the fuck not. Soapmaker shop in season two.
Basically the result is a horrible mess of a room full of workshops, all taking AND putting shit from/to the same godawful stockpile. Great way to teach people how to set up an efficient fort.

Ok, enough. Can't watch more of this. Sorry if I went off on a tangent, I just wrote things down while watching the first episodes. Hopefully there are some bits of advice in this wall of text.
But seriously, again, I have nothing against the guy. He probably makes excellent videos about other games.
But he's hopelessly inadequate to teach other people how to play dwarf fortress.
Actually, the first episodes are an excellent example of what NOT DO TO in a new fort.
You don't want to waste two seasons to clear giant rooms for no reason.
You don't want to neglect food production for two entire seasons.
You don't want to waste hundreds of embark points on useless garbage.
You don't want to set up your industry in an unintelligible orgy of workshops.
You don't want to completely disregard the happiness of your dwarves. Can't see the values, but they are all yellow on therapist, probably very close to unhappy. A single accident could probably end with dwarves punching each others at the end of season 3. They've been sleeping on the floor, probably annoyed by noise, eating without chairs and tables, under the rain, for two entire seasons.

He does a decent job at explaining some parts of the interface. But really, really terrible videos to learn how to actually play the game.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 07:53:38 am by Ai Shizuka »

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 04:00:03 pm »

-animals don't marry so as long as there is a male and a female you are okay I think.
-training animals can be set up by going into the status screen using 'z' and going to animals. From there you should be able to scroll through the animals in your fort. If an animal can be trained you can use 't' I think to assign a trainer and near the bottom of the screen the keypresses for hunting and war training should be listed. You may also need to create an animal training zone.
-Two ways to incubate eggs
  -Build nest boxes in rooms with doors and forbid passage once the eggs have been laid.
  -Forbid eggs in all stockpiles and forbid them from being cooked in the kitchen status screen.
-Trade agreemeents work by using the arrow keys to move to adjust sliders on the right of the screen. The farther you move the slider to the right the more strongly you are requesting the item but the more you will need to pay. + and - scroll the menu on the left.
-Trading is much better with a broker. When you have a broker with appraisal skill any items in your fort will have a value. I believe the symbol used is ☼ instead of $ or whatever. I generally offer a value that is 1.5x the value I am requesting.

"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 04:13:22 pm »

Animal training is quite optional.  You can ignore it for a very long time with no ill effects.

In a nutshell, there are 3 things it can do:
  • Dogs (and some other things, like certain bears) can be trained for "war".  This made them more aggressive in 0.34, so that they chase enemies instead of fleeing.  I have no idea how it works in 0.40 yet.  Also, it didn't actually make the dogs any stronger (at least in 0.34), so they would chase the goblins, and die quickly.  Useful against kobolds, though.
  • Dogs can be trained for "hunting", which means they can accompany a hunter (for reasons which I've never understood), and sneak up on the prey along with the hunter.  I don't even use hunters, let alone hunting dogs.
  • Wild animals captured in cage traps can be tamed.  Now this is useful.  If you intend to capture wild animals and tame them for breeding or sentry/defense duty, then you should look into how animal training works.

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 10:35:16 am »

I mostly meant he was good with the interface, but he was how I learned dwarf fotress. I don't do everything he says, but I do most of it (I have my own embark) and I have never lost to hunger/tantrums or anything like that.

blackravenx

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 12:02:00 pm »

First off.. Welcome! I am also new and I started 2 weeks ago. Everything you are experiencing is happening to me:
1. Running out of food drink
2. Get a pile of immigrants at once that totally suck up all my stock piles.
3. Moody or berserk dwarves killing everyone. Once had my miner kill all the kids (20+) then committed suicide. All I can do is watch the death and ride out the storm. I haven't learning how to stop someone from going berserk so every time it happens I end up just starting over ...heheh
The list can go on and on but I am trying to play along with these guys videos and its helping. Keep in mind I have started over around 20+ times because I just want to get the basics down first but also love the videos. No matter what version new or 2012 the process is about the same and here is the list:

CAPT DUCK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHVZtRdtPdo&list=PL06686270DA5FF439

51ppycup : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g_SaPQpKbU&list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66

Keep in mind these are for adults and have swearing but between both I am learning. I loved Capt Duck's layout of his fortress and he explains well the rules and why things are. 

How they help you as well,
Blackravenx

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 01:32:00 pm »

I have been playing for over a year, and I started with Captain Duck's tutorial on youtube as well. He does teach most of the basics right, but a lot of the things he does are unnecessary.

So here's what you needa do:

Food:
1-3 dedicated planters
a 5*5 plot for every 100 dwarves or so... (alternatively, have double the number of 3*3 or 2*2 plots with different plant types to increase variety)
1 dedicated brewer
approximately 100 barrels/pots. Stone pots are a far better option than barrels because you will have tons of stone lying around, and they also have a slightly greater capacity.
Livestock is unnecessary, but should you want livestock, start off with pigs. pasture them all in a single 7*7 area (large so that the irritable pigs don't attack each other and spam your combat logs), and periodically designate all the boars except the youngest one to be slaughtered from the animal tab of your z-screen (youngest one is one lowest on the list). One boar is enough for breeding purposes, and more females = more pigs.
Having a dedicated cook is optional but great for Dwarven happiness. Just make sure all your plants are set to be brewed only.

Dorms:
Since you're a new player, make a 7*7 room with 9 beds in the centre. Create a room from one of the beds with "q"->"r" and then set it to be a dormitory. The dwarves will now share these nine beds and there should be no more issues for a while.
Try to mine individual rooms for your dwarves as soon as possible though. Look at the bedroom design article on the wiki for ideas.

Military:
Just build a bed/weapon rack/chest/armour stand/container in a room and make a "r"oom from it, then "q"uery it and highlight your squad and press "t" to allow them to train. With that done, go to the military screen, press "a" for alerts, and set your squad to active/training.

Equipment:
Equipment priority is weapon>shield>helm>mail shirt>gauntlet>high boot>breastplate.
Shields: all wood
Weapons: Steel>iron=bronze>copper>silver for edged weapons, silver>steel>iron=copper>bronze for blunt weapons.
Armour material has same priority as edged.
Order as much coal and lignite from the liaison as you can.

Oh, and, captnduck has a very efficient design for his crafting floor, which I have adapted to suit every industry base in my fort. I will post screenshots for you tomorrow to give you an idea, It really is a nice way of arranging stockpiles and workshops.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

blackravenx

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 03:04:09 pm »

NICE! making note of that now :)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 03:44:07 pm »

Embark points allocation is terrible. No big deal for experienced players, but newbies need to optimize their embark, to avoid the most common problems.
Really bad advice:
- Miner/architect (epic waste of 5 levels).
- Woodcutter/herbalist, debatable choice but not terrible.
- Dedicated carpenter seems like a waste, at the beginning he just has to do a few beds and a few bins.
- Same dwarf is both planter and brewer. Can work, but new players often get in trouble with food/drink shortage. Having the same dwarf doing both things doesn't help in this regard. I'd actually advice a new player to disable every labor from the planter right from the start. The carpenter could easily double as a brewer. These two jobs don't need a 24/7 dedicated dwarf in the beginning.
- Dedicated doctor. Totally not necessary in a newbie-friendly embark. Also, competent leader. Why?
- Bags, ropes, cloth, buchets, splints, crutches, wheelbarrows. He's wasting an atrocious amount of points on useless stuff. Remember this is aimed at new players, wich should get rid of that garbage and take more seeds/food/drinks.

Actually, the first episodes are an excellent example of what NOT DO TO in a new fort.
You don't want to waste two seasons to clear giant rooms for no reason.
You don't want to neglect food production for two entire seasons.
You don't want to waste hundreds of embark points on useless garbage.
You don't want to set up your industry in an unintelligible orgy of workshops.
You don't want to completely disregard the happiness of your dwarves. Can't see the values, but they are all yellow on therapist, probably very close to unhappy. A single accident could probably end with dwarves punching each others at the end of season 3. They've been sleeping on the floor, probably annoyed by noise, eating without chairs and tables, under the rain, for two entire seasons.

That's, like, your opinion, man. I did most of those when I was a newbie and nothing bad happened. Learning the interface is far more important than doing things efficiently, and when you get the interface down you end up figuring out your own playstyle anyway.

not making food is a legit complaint though
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 04:40:24 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: [1] 2