Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 62

Author Topic: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Werezombie Cloning Tech (What in Armok's name?!))  (Read 213151 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Bronze Colossi are the best babysitters)
« Reply #510 on: January 02, 2015, 07:22:04 pm »

...so after saying that of course I had to try it.

I dropped the Special Guest Lecturer Fimshel Clobberfathers the Scratches of Sieging into a class of twenty eager students who immediately started pounding the colossus with unprecedented vigor. As I had suspected the students' punches glanced off harmlessly from hard bronze but surprisingly Fimshel didn't manage to hurt them either, save few bruises. Only when the students started tiring after a week of hard lecturing the big guy got hold of few of them, twisting their ankles or elbows the wrong way. After the third injury I let the militia in to deal with the colossus.

The bravest of the students are now Expert Strikers, with an assortment of other combat skills. Not a bad trade, I'd say.

Now, implement a cage-trap + dropping system and reuse the next megabeast you send into this class of unruly children !

also hot damn these kids are supreme badasses. I mean a fucking BRONZE COLOSSUS and they gleefully attack it barehanded ?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Many Innocent Deaths)
« Reply #511 on: January 02, 2015, 08:04:40 pm »

Now that you mentioned it... I could build a retracting bridge as the classroom floor and fill the room below with cage traps. Ordinary escape routes wouldn't work since those students who start fighting will keep on punching until the bitter end. Why didn't I think of reusing lecturers earlier?

About badassery: I seriously think megabeasts have been nerfed in this version. Fimshel's punches barely bruised the students' skin through leather cloaks and it would generally miss almost every time while in 34.11 a bronze colossus would hit fully armored soldiers so hard they'd fly several squares into a rock wall.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 03, 2015, 10:47:51 am »

Heh heh heh. I can't wait for these students to come of age.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 03, 2015, 11:37:40 am »

Pretty sure dodge skill lets you like turn aside a blow without fully avoiding it.

I can take one of my ridiculously buffed up adventurers and just lay down in a pile of angry goblins, and I ran into an awkward problem when I was attacked by a werebeast but I couldn't figure out how it would hurt me, besides stripping all of the armor off and risking the inevitable lucky blow pushing my skull out my ass. Crawling around on the ground while repeatedly offering it my ungloved hand finally got blood drawn, but I don't think it was a bite, so no turning into a brutish werekoala I suppose.

The same set of armor in the hands of a couple angry gobs without stupidly legendary dodging skills gets you bruised and bent and mangled and dead if you just lay there, so I'm pretty sure they're like turning to the side or something as it hits them.

Hmmm, actually, could be that plus the thing where blunt attacks on targets much smaller than you tend to just glance off.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 11:39:17 am by Max™ »

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 04, 2015, 05:26:32 am »

Yes, I have noticed the blunt attacks vs. small targets myself; it's almost useless to send a hammer squad to exterminate a pack of chinchillas. I haven't heard about the dodge skill turning attacks but something like that could very well be happening here. I'm starting to imagine this school as dwarven Shaolin monastery of sorts.

I was so impressed with Fimshel as a guest lecturer that I resorted to savescumming so I could offer him/her/it a permanent tenure. Clearly an invulnerable teacher is needed to last more than few seconds and I don't think another colossus is going to wander in any time soon.

I replaced the classroom floor with a retracting bridge which can be used to flush the whole class to a room full of cage traps when a recess is needed. In dry tests the landing was a bit rough for some students resulting in few bruised arms and spleens. It's still better than to have students collapsing in exhaustion with Fimshel in the same room.

This way I think I can keep my bronze colossus sensei sparring with the kids indefinitely. I might lose one or two of them but the surviving ones should be in pretty good shape when they rejoin normal dwarven society.

Uhhh... welcome?

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 04, 2015, 05:42:48 am »

Great. The next update will apparently make danger rooms and similar systems significantly less useful, as they will no longer train fighter.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 04, 2015, 06:10:38 am »

Yes, I read that too. Ah well, I guess that only means some more research is needed how to best create unstoppable child monsters...

Uhhh... welcome?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 04, 2015, 08:55:44 am »

First live test of classroom emergency flushing completed. Fimshel went back to its cage without causing trouble and all students survived the fall with only minor injuries. Three students are now in hospital to get their bones set back together. Once they're walking again it's time for another round with Fimshel. I'm predicting a LOT of practice for my medical staff...

The good news is the students now have the opportunity to train their Striker, Kicker, Biter and Wrestler skills, possibly all the way to Legendary before adulthood.

Uhhh... welcome?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 04, 2015, 05:56:39 pm »

Sparring with Fimshel is going moderately well, with the most advanced students now at Great level in Striker skill. It taking a lot of my attention, though; I have to be constantly ready for emergency flushdown in case the colossus gets too frisky with the students.

It seems to have adopted a new tactic in later rounds: it tries to grapple at students and when it gets hold of one it punches its struggling victim so hard that my doctors are puzzling which part goes where. No more just bruising the skin, then; this is getting rightly terrifying.

Miraculously there haven't been any deaths or permanent damage and dwarven medicine seems to be able to heal even a limb forced inside the body.

Uhhh... welcome?

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 04, 2015, 06:39:31 pm »

How long has the school been running? I suggest that, as a graduation ceremony, you give your students the appropriate clothing for a (dwarven) graduation ceremony (heavy armor) and hand them their graduation certificates (read:weapons) and let them make a speech in front of (read:kill) their teacher.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 05, 2015, 03:42:07 am »

That was exactly my plan, if both teacher and the children survive so far. I'm still not ruling it out that once students really master unarmed skills they might accidentally kill Fimshel with a freak critical.

I'm only glad the big guy seems to be playing good sport here; it hits each student it catches exactly once and then drops the unconscious victim before going to hunt for the next one. This gives my doctors at least some chance to stitch the students back together after each round.

The youngest students are now four year old; there's still years to go before the big graduation.

Uhhh... welcome?

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 05, 2015, 04:48:58 am »

Judging by their current progress, I think the chance of your students killing the collosus before graduation is higher than the chance that they won't.

Gargomaxthalus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 07, 2015, 12:50:45 pm »

This forum just get's more and more disturbing. Always a fun read to be found.
Well lets see... at least half of what I say is complete bullshit. Hell the other half tends to be pretty sketchy...

OOOOHHHH,JUST SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AND MAYBE I'LL GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

javascript:void(0)
javascript:void(0)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 07, 2015, 04:24:43 pm »

It's all for the betterment of dwarfkind, of course! No gain without some pain. And horror, and blood, and broken bones, and...

---

Congratulations to Fath Arrowstir for completing the first step of the new extended curriculum by reaching Legendary in Striker skill. Few weeks of punching, kicking and even biting the bronze colossus have done wonders to all students' skill levels.

I'm afraid I'm going to have the first casualty of the program in Fath's friend, giant killer Aban Thornroughness who is slowly sliding down on the stress scale and will start stumbling obliviously eventually. His old lung wound from a mishap in the swimming pool is constantly stressing him out, even when it's not slowing him down in combat.

I'm considering taking him off the school program and moving him to my other experimental facility, the Questmountain Asylum for Stressed Dwarves. There I'm attempting to heal the stressed and the haggard with every kind of positive experience I can think of. So far I haven't had much success but with more patients maybe something could happen through friendship and group healing.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 04:49:36 pm by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 07, 2015, 04:44:51 pm »

You can throw him in the asylum, but I'm sure the new release(40.24) may solve this dwarf problem with being stressed over the same wound again and again.
In a time before time, I had a name.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 62